NES Classic, Hack To Add ENTIRE NES Catalog

RussTCB

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I just realized that I got all excited and installed around 35 more. I should probably just remove some I'm not going to play for sure. For example, I installed RBI Baseball, Bases Loaded and Baseball Stars when I'll really only play Baseball Stars. I installed the first Batman-The Movie game and the first Robocop. Maybe I should replace those with Return of the Joker and Robocop 3 if they're better.

you will enjoy robocop 3, trust me ;)

yeah it would be a shame bricking your nes for a load of baseball games lol. i feel you though, i nearly bricked my ps vita myself trying to get henkaku running. ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I also removed some stuff that I'll never play from the originals like Ice Climber & Balloon Fight. I also pulled the original Tecmo Bowl since I installed Tecmo Super Bowl.

just discovered that return of the joker doesnt work. that sucks. one of the cooler games of late period nes

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I haven't tried that but I couldn't get Robocop 3 to work either.

the original batman has problems too. i wonder how many other games have problems?

luckily it doesnt damage your nes, you can just remove the game again and all is well.

6 hours ago, action said:

the original batman has problems too. i wonder how many other games have problems?

luckily it doesnt damage your nes, you can just remove the game again and all is well.

The original Batman seemed to work for me but I only played the first level. Out of everything I've tried, these are the only ones I've had an issue with, so I'm good with it. I even got a Famicom Disk System game to run that I've always wanted to play, so that was awesome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, action said:

that's insane.

my mother told me, 'if something seems too good to be true, it probably is'

i think this might have issues somewhere down the road. i won't do it to my unit

Did it to mine this morning. Surprisingly, no problems whatsoever 

7 hours ago, highvoltage said:

A Rasberry Pi with controllers and retropie included is cheaper + able to emulate NES, SNES, N64, Sega, MAME, etc. 

Can't understand the appeal of the NES Classic when there are superior (and cheaper) ways to play old systems.

the biggest difference is, these emulators are not official and therefore lack in many aspects. the reason is hackers need to retro-engineer the old consoles by themselves, without the original data from nintendo

the nes classic on the other hand, and the developers of the emulation, had full support and information coming from nintendo themselves. this leads to much smoother / better emulation. by having the original code, they are able to make the emulation run on much lighter hardware than "non official" emulation. that's why, for gamecube emulation, you need a relatively high end PC, while the switch which has much lighter specs, will be the best gamecube emulation available

13 hours ago, highvoltage said:

A Rasberry Pi with controllers and retropie included is cheaper + able to emulate NES, SNES, N64, Sega, MAME, etc. 

Can't understand the appeal of the NES Classic when there are superior (and cheaper) ways to play old systems.

I totally get that. I only own one because my wife happened to spot one it during the holidays. I'm a hell of a lot happier with it after hacking it though lol

9 hours ago, action said:

the biggest difference is, these emulators are not official and therefore lack in many aspects. the reason is hackers need to retro-engineer the old consoles by themselves, without the original data from nintendo

the nes classic on the other hand, and the developers of the emulation, had full support and information coming from nintendo themselves. this leads to much smoother / better emulation. by having the original code, they are able to make the emulation run on much lighter hardware than "non official" emulation. that's why, for gamecube emulation, you need a relatively high end PC, while the switch which has much lighter specs, will be the best gamecube emulation available

With all due respect, nothing in your post addresses my comment / query. My point was specifically in regards to the NES classic, not the Switch's ability to emulate.

$85 USD will get you a Raspberry Pi 3, 2 controllers, Retropie installed, etc. This setup will play NES games (as well as SNES, Genesis, Megadrive, MAME, etc) with no issues. It might not handle Gamecube games, but that wasn't the point I was making. 

Regardless, emulation has come a very long way in the past few years. Most games play flawlessly - particularly NES/SNES/N64 Era.

Gamecube games actually play very well these days on mid-level hardware (A GTX660 will get you well and truly out of trouble) - as do Wii games, believe it or not!

19 hours ago, highvoltage said:

With all due respect, nothing in your post addresses my comment / query. My point was specifically in regards to the NES classic, not the Switch's ability to emulate.

$85 USD will get you a Raspberry Pi 3, 2 controllers, Retropie installed, etc. This setup will play NES games (as well as SNES, Genesis, Megadrive, MAME, etc) with no issues. It might not handle Gamecube games, but that wasn't the point I was making. 

Regardless, emulation has come a very long way in the past few years. Most games play flawlessly - particularly NES/SNES/N64 Era.

Gamecube games actually play very well these days on mid-level hardware (A GTX660 will get you well and truly out of trouble) - as do Wii games, believe it or not!

are you sure about N64? last thing i heard, is the best games had custom code, which required a lot of fiddling with plug-ins and what not.

even my high end pc doesnt run n64 flawlessly. i wish it did though.

6 minutes ago, action said:

are you sure about N64? last thing i heard, is the best games had custom code, which required a lot of fiddling with plug-ins and what not.

even my high end pc doesnt run n64 flawlessly. i wish it did though.

Positive man, been playing on a piece of shit PC all week. No custom code, we used an Xbox controller and it all just worked.

Try and find the latest version of Project64?

4 hours ago, highvoltage said:

Positive man, been playing on a piece of shit PC all week. No custom code, we used an Xbox controller and it all just worked.

good to hear, but on my pc project 64 runs like ass, lol. slowdown, crashes, the whole shebang. i've given up on N64 emulation. if the switch supports N64 emulation i might just cream myself.

5 hours ago, action said:

good to hear, but on my pc project 64 runs like ass, lol. slowdown, crashes, the whole shebang. i've given up on N64 emulation. if the switch supports N64 emulation i might just cream myself.

I had the same experience a few years ago, but got back into it the past few months and things have been buttery smooth and a ton of fun. Sorry it hasn't worked out for you!

On 2/3/2017 at 8:36 AM, highvoltage said:

If I recall, version 1.6 is the best P64 you're gonna get.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 3:53 PM, Jane M. said:

I finally got one of those NES classic edition and I couldn't be happier. It's so tiny!:lol:

Make sure you do the hack to add almost 700 games. It's VERY easy to do and adds everything you've ever wanted to play.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Do you guys think they're cutting production on the NES Classic because Switch is getting virtual console soon and they don't want to have two markets collide?

yes

i've always said, the switch is a marketing stunt to give awareness to the switch. the Wii and WiiU made nintendo look incredibly uncool. going back to their hardcore roots with the NES has repaired some of the damage. now, people are going nuts over anything with the nintendo name again.

contrary to popular belief, nintendo didnt make much money on the nes classic. the hardware alone is expensive enough, but nintendo also has to pay licence fees to capcom and konami. people expect a snes classic somewhere this fall, but i won't get my hopes up, for this reason

• Like 1