NES Classic, Hack To Add ENTIRE NES Catalog

RussTCB

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

My wife was able to track one down last night. I've had quite a blast messing with it this morning. Anyone else grab one?

me!

so happy to own one.

favorite games: galaga, mario 3, gradius, double dragon II

finding one is a quest on its own. i got one through a last-minute pre order, during the "second wave" of deleveries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, action said:

me!

so happy to own one.

favorite games: galaga, mario 3, gradius, double dragon II

finding one is a quest on its own. i got one through a last-minute pre order, during the "second wave" of deleveries.

One thing I really dig is the option to have 4 saved games for each title. So far I've played a LOT of Mario 2, and a little of Gradius, Mega Man 2 & Punch Out. I need to start digging into games I've never played before like Star Tropics.

• Like 1

I'd be up for getting one only concern is that I heard the controllers are wired, which are only 2 and a half feet of long.  Our television is fifteen from our couch so not sure I'd be inclined to sit on the floor to play it.

Anyone over come this problem?

1 hour ago, downzy said:

I'd be up for getting one only concern is that I heard the controllers are wired, which are only 2 and a half feet of long.  Our television is fifteen from our couch so not sure I'd be inclined to sit on the floor to play it.

One option:

http://nyko.com/collections/nes-classic-edition/products/miniboss-for-nes-classic-edition

Alternatively, you could connect the NES to the TV with a long cable and have the system itself nestling under your feet by the sofa, if you can overlook the traipsing cables whilst in use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downzy said:

one aspect of the short cords is the need to reach out to push the reset button.

solution: if you happen to own a wii pro controller, you can plug that in on one of the nes controller ports. it has a home button. ideal for doing a quick save or something

2 hours ago, downzy said:

i play it on my computer screen, which has a spare hdmi port.

it seems this console is built to be played on a desk. cable is just long enough in that setup.

it's like they force us to play this thing at work :lol:

On one hand I think it's a great idea. For the MSRP (not the scalper prices online), it's a good deal for the games included. The novelty of it looking like a miniature NES is cool too, as are the controllers. However, realistically it amounts to nothing more than a stand alone virtual console with no option for upgrading or downloading more games (unless they plan a huge update later via the USB port). It's just another example of this generation of gaming cashing in on nostalgia by re-releasing old games once again. Overall though it's a fair deal for what's included and certainly cheaper than tracking down those NES carts one by one.

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

On one hand I think it's a great idea. For the MSRP (not the scalper prices online), it's a good deal for the games included. The novelty of it looking like a miniature NES is cool too, as are the controllers. However, realistically it amounts to nothing more than a stand alone virtual console with no option for upgrading or downloading more games (unless they plan a huge update later via the USB port). It's just another example of this generation of gaming cashing in on nostalgia by re-releasing old games once again. Overall though it's a fair deal for what's included and certainly cheaper than tracking down those NES carts one by one.

Totally agree with all of that. There are other drawbacks as well, like @downzy mentioned with the controller cords being so short. One thing about that BTW, is buying extension cables doesn't help much either. There's no way to switch games outside of hitting the reset button on the system itself. So even if you get extention cables, you'll need access to the actual console whenever you want to switch games. 

Having said all that; I'm cool with it. It wasn't anything I was going to die without and I certainly wasn't going to pay scalper prices. My wife just happened to spot some in a store, so she grabbed it for me. I've been playing the shit out of it for the last couple days and I'm pretty happy with it. I sure as shit wish there was some way to expand it in the future though.

I would imagine Ninteno did that for a reason though. They're probably planning on brining NES Classic II out along with a Super NES Classic at some point.

I was considering one of these as an Xmas pressie for my eldest boy until I realised there is no UK stock anywhere besides eBay. I doubt he would appreciate it all that much seeing as he wasn't around when the originals were about. :lol:

I ended up ordering him one of these which I think will be well liked.

http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/blaze-tab-plus

18 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Totally agree with all of that. There are other drawbacks as well, like @downzy mentioned with the controller cords being so short. One thing about that BTW, is buying extension cables doesn't help much either. There's no way to switch games outside of hitting the reset button on the system itself. So even if you get extention cables, you'll need access to the actual console whenever you want to switch games. 

Having said all that; I'm cool with it. It wasn't anything I was going to die without and I certainly wasn't going to pay scalper prices. My wife just happened to spot some in a store, so she grabbed it for me. I've been playing the shit out of it for the last couple days and I'm pretty happy with it. I sure as shit wish there was some way to expand it in the future though.

I would imagine Ninteno did that for a reason though. They're probably planning on brining NES Classic II out along with a Super NES Classic at some point.

I'd actually be interested in an SNES Classic since they've got the rights to Donkey Kong Country secure. A few years ago, the legal hurdle they were up against might have prevented the three Donkey Kong Country titles from appearing on such a console. That's the whole reason I'd buy the damn thing!

On 12/4/2016 at 10:44 AM, James Bond said:

Perfect. For someone like me who doesn't care one bit for new games or new consoles this thing will be perfect once I get it. It's a novelty item and yeah it's nostalgia and that's all I want it for. I never owned a single system after the original NES so for people like me who aren't gamers but loved the old games when they were kids this thing is perfect. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I love mine a LOT more since finding out about this hack lol. I keep thinking of games to add to it and I'm having a blast with it.

just keep in mind it seems to have a limit of 60 games total. put in more and you risk bricking your unit ;) 

some of my favorite nes games that aren't included: castlevania 3, batman return of the joker, Robocop 3, Jurassic park

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, action said:

just keep in mind it seems to have a limit of 60 games total. put in more and you risk bricking your unit ;) 

some of my favorite nes games that aren't included: castlevania 3, batman return of the joker, Robocop 3, Jurassic park

I just realized that I got all excited and installed around 35 more. I should probably just remove some I'm not going to play for sure. For example, I installed RBI Baseball, Bases Loaded and Baseball Stars when I'll really only play Baseball Stars. I installed the first Batman-The Movie game and the first Robocop. Maybe I should replace those with Return of the Joker and Robocop 3 if they're better.