05/27/17 - Dublin, IE - Slane Castle

alfierose

Great that people who attended enjoyed the show! So did I via multiple Facebook streams which kept cutting in and out at times. 

Points I made

- Much better vocals than Australian and Asian tour kickoffs.

- Axl has lost weight.

- Slash has once again improved his tone.

- Killer setlist with awesome Patience acoustic action. 

Cant wait for my concerts in Finland and Czech Republic! Bring on Bilbao!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SL138 said:

where is the entrance to the golden circle? is it on both sides? is there any chance we can leave to get a beer or sth?

any suggestions to get the best possible golden circle view?

In some stadiums "golden circle" areas have their own bar - it's the case in Paris. From the map I've seen, it wasn't the case at Slane, but sometimes you also see some guys wandering around with some kind of beer gallon on their back and they distribute beers (at normal price) for people.

As for the entrance, usually it's on both sides. I didn't see the new GN'R shows yet so I don't know yet where is the best spot.

• Like 1

Funniest moment of the night was my brother turning to me before the outro solo in Better to say "I love this solo" and then afterwards he was like "Slash made a bollix of the better solo". He's not a huge guns fan and he pretty much hates CD but even he says that, that original outro solo is fantastic.

Thought a few people here would like that story, and to all that oppose... Well?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Hate to quote myself but Chinese Democracy is one of my favorites in the set. I never thought I'd say that before 2016 but I love the tempo, Axl is into it, and Slash goes all in on it. High energy and fits in great to the set Imo 

and how crazy is it that we have an image @10 seconds in of Slash and Axl standing side by side playing a CD song 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Hate to quote myself but Chinese Democracy is one of my favorites in the set. I never thought I'd say that before 2016 but I love the tempo, Axl is into it, and Slash goes all in on it. High energy and fits in great to the set Imo 

and how crazy is it that we have an image @10 seconds in of Slash and Axl standing side by side playing a CD song 

I always keep thinking how happy Axl must be to be playing his masterpiece songs with the guy Slash and Duff...

4 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

Where to begin...

Didn't get in until after 5, by that time the place was pretty full but luckily I was able to beat my way through Gold Circle to get a nice spot on front of the end of the left runway. When I heard Duff's opening notes to It's So Easy I genuinely nearly shed a tear, I feel like I've waited a lifetime for this :lol: Most of the crowd around me were clearly die hard fans, we all sung along every word. Some dude crowd surfed a few times. I'm pretty sure a much bigger dude beat the shit out of him afterwards. :P Couple of people stoned and pissed and completely off their faces but what can you do.

ChiDem is absolutely bangin' live. The Slash intro, the guitar play between him and Richard, Axl sounded amazing on it too. Jungle was fucking unreal. Axl's scream was intense. The crowd went wild and I got absolutely crushed :lol:

Fortus seems to be doing more solos now, off the top of my head I remember the end of Better he was up front with Slash and did a great job. He definitely seems to be more of a member than a 'hired gun'. Estranged was incredible. Slash's tone on that song is just stunning. There was a moment where Axl was right in front of us singing "old at heart, but I'm only 28" and then did this :lol: During Live and Let Die I looked over at my friend, who has also never seen GNR before, he was standing with his mouth wide open looking absolutely blown away haha.

After Civil War Axl started talking about how they're going to "try something" and talked about how they wished they were playing it under better circumstances, he genuinely seemed emotional. It was spine tingling. You could hear the emotion in Axl's voice throughout the whole song. It was beautiful. Fortus nailed the solo. Coma was fantastic. So full of fury and anger. When I heard the opening riff of Out Ta Get Me I was fucking ecstatic. I thought there was no way we were getting OTGM. The encore was great, Patience, etc. Couldn't believe they did TWAT again. Axl definitely struggled a few times in the beginning verses but he gave it his all during the outro. I think this is definitely Slash's best TWAT solo. He's still loosely sticking to the Buckethead melody but it just sounded better and more cohesive this time. Paradise City with all the fireworks and shit was magical.

I was really surprised at how much Axl talked between songs and joked around, he was clearly in a great mood and loving the crowd. It was amazing to watch him, he still has that same intensity of 92. You can tell he's not just phoning it in. Vocally he sounded good, very powerful, hit every note. I know a lot of his vocals were clean but it doesn't sound like 'mickey' at all.

Slash sounded incredible, but was very rarely seen on my side of the stage lol.

Duff is the fucking man. Genuinely think we made eye contact a few times. Sadly I wasn't close enough to get one of his picks.

Fortus was practically invisible when he wasn't playing solos, I was quite surprised about that. I don't remember him once coming out on the runway. In videos I've seen of other concerts he seems to interact more with the crowd... strange.

Frank killed it on drums as far as I'm concerned. Even though I've always said his kit sounds like shit, I have to say in person it didn't. Drums were on point.

Dizzy and Melissa.. I actually think Melissa does more than Dizzy. He literally spent most of his time playing the bongos or shaking maracas or something. Melissa's backing vocals are great.

The venue is amazing when you're inside. A really stunning setting for a concert. However getting in and out is a fucking nightmare, and if something like what happened in Manchester were to happen here I'm pretty sure a lot of people would have gotten trampled. As I said security wasn't great at all, they really didn't do much of a search. I'm also fairly certain if you timed it right you could easily get into the gold circle without a wristband. They didn't check mine and let plenty of people in with bottles (including me).

Great review,i happy for ou ☺

• Like 1

There's a setlist printout on Susan insta story , Seeker is still there, TWAT on alternate,  BHS actually played on encore, the rest is pretty much same as last leg.

And lil peek of cold drink containers for each member (some has printout about what inside it), each member had one box, except Axl who had two.

I'm far from my PC rn, too lazy to post the pics from phone.

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Security wasn't great. My brother had a flask of Jameson in his pants and they let him in. Bit of a later down but nothing much. 

Very good gig, but out of the 4 times I've seen them that was probably the world at of the pack. Good performances but there were some vocal issues (TWAT) and the sound was up and down. 

For me gnr will never top the RDS in '06. But MAYBE the next show in Madrid will blow it out of the water?

Seemed like such an odd venue for a show.. I can't imagine the sound being very good at all...  The crowd seemed so disconnected. I believe you will get a better experience in Madrid.

1 hour ago, Magnus Cavalerra said:

There's a setlist printout on Susan insta story , Seeker is still there, TWAT on alternate,  BHS actually played on encore, the rest is pretty much same as last leg.

And lil peek of cold drink containers for each member (some has printout about what inside it), each member had one box, except Axl who had two.

I'm far from my PC rn, too lazy to post the pics from phone.

DxB11NJ.jpg

• Like 4