05/27/17 - Dublin, IE - Slane Castle

alfierose

2 hours ago, Padme said:

What it is in a lot of people DNA is a state of denial. CD, Axl's vision (if he ever had it) and NuGN'R was a failure. You love CD? I'm very happy for you. But casual and many hardcore fans didn't give fuck about that album nor about NuGN'R. It is nonsensical to keep playing those Songs

:rolleyes: Just because YOU don't like them playing CD songs, doesn't make it nonsensical for them to play them. The casuals will neither care for CD Songs, nor for UYI deep cuts, so what they're playing basically doesn't matter in this case.

Personally, I hate CD, TIL, CITR and so on (though I don't/wouldn't mind the playing SOD, TWAT or Prostitute), but I don't pretend they shouldn't do that because of those poor casuals. As someone said above, a lot of casuals don't even know songs like Rocket Queen. Good luck getting them to appreciate Locomotive then. Looking at it from that perspective, CD and TIL, as much as I hate them, might actually appeal to casuals more than some UYI deep cuts. Much easier to get into if you've never heard them before.

Major complaint here about the show. Gold Circle Wristbands. After paying €150+ you would think the wrist bands would have some reference to the show. Instead, they were issuing bands with 'Beyonce - Croke Park'. Also, this will really annoy everyone who paid the full fee, one of the guys issuing the wristbands was handing out as many as you requested. A lady in front of me asked for 4 in addition her own and got thew. Another lady got 2 additional bands. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

They were in the fucking jungle man.

One guy may have thought he was. Standing stark bollock naked in the middle of the field as we were walking up from the front. Didnt seem to know where he was.  

• Like 1

All this moaning about this being played & that being played it's almost a 3 hour show with all the hits played for the casuals & some deeper cuts for "real"  fans. Just over 2 years ago this was only a dream, you've bought the ticket now get the fuck out there & enjoy the show.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kearnsy said:

One guy may have thought he was. Standing stark bollock naked in the middle of the field as we were walking up from the front. Didnt seem to know where he was.  

I bet he felt "Right Next Door To Hell" "Yesterday"

57 minutes ago, axl666 said:

Actually if you think about the songs that the mass crowd responds to they have one thing in common: they're on the greatest hits.

Everything not on greatest hits is actually unknown to a lot of people

Greatest Hits is what people buy when they want their best songs on iTunes or something. People don't discover the full catalogue of bands anymore...it kinda sucks Bc GNR is a band that the deeper you dive into the more you like em in terms of their diversity and overall talent 

• Like 1

What a gig! As much as people are moaning about the setlist and stuff, I thought there was a great balance in it. When I heard Slash & Duff were coming back I was praying that CD would not be swept under the carpet (kind of like what Metallica did With St.Anger and that other album they did with Lou Reed). But to hear them play a few of the songs is great to see.

I have to say though, and I might have just missed it while skipping through all of the pages on here - No mention of how amazing New Rose was?!? I always rated Frank from the 'CD tour' lineup and was delighted that they kept him on because Matt Sorum could never really pull off that Damned cover properly, and Adler probably wouldnt be able for it these days. 

Nice Balance between all of the albums in my opinion, and an absolutely cracking show!

As for Slane as a venue - Any Irish music fan knows how iconic Slane concerts are, but also how much of a pain in the arse the place is to get to and from. This was my first time there and I had been well warned, but in fairness I expected a lot worse. Yeah I was sitting on a bus in the carpark for about 2hrs but Ive heard of people walking 4/5hrs to get home.

Just praying that they do an arena tour with this lineup over the next few years because with the 3arena sounding so well Id say that would blow everyone away!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, slash(dean) said:

What a gig! As much as people are moaning about the setlist and stuff, I thought there was a great balance in it. When I heard Slash & Duff were coming back I was praying that CD would not be swept under the carpet (kind of like what Metallica did With St.Anger and that other album they did with Lou Reed). But to hear them play a few of the songs is great to see.

I have to say though, and I might have just missed it while skipping through all of the pages on here - No mention of how amazing New Rose was?!? I always rated Frank from the 'CD tour' lineup and was delighted that they kept him on because Matt Sorum could never really pull off that Damned cover properly, and Adler probably wouldnt be able for it these days. 

Nice Balance between all of the albums in my opinion, and an absolutely cracking show!

As for Slane as a venue - Any Irish music fan knows how iconic Slane concerts are, but also how much of a pain in the arse the place is to get to and from. This was my first time there and I had been well warned, but in fairness I expected a lot worse. Yeah I was sitting on a bus in the carpark for about 2hrs but Ive heard of people walking 4/5hrs to get home.

Just praying that they do an arena tour with this lineup over the next few years because with the 3arena sounding so well Id say that would blow everyone away!

Welcome to the forum :)

The show was so so good. Truly special. Our band is in great nick. 

Duff is beyond awesome and he did an amazing job of New Rose. A nice injection of punk to the gig.

Before the gig was announced I was praying it wouldn't be Slane... it's an endurance test. Only Guns made it worth it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kearnsy said:

Looking at the state of some individuals at the show, Im sure there were people who didtnt know where they were

40 minutes ago, slash(dean) said:

Spot on?☺

2 hours ago, Frey said:

:rolleyes: Just because YOU don't like them playing CD songs, doesn't make it nonsensical for them to play them. The casuals will neither care for CD Songs, nor for UYI deep cuts, so what they're playing basically doesn't matter in this case.

Personally, I hate CD, TIL, CITR and so on (though I don't/wouldn't mind the playing SOD, TWAT or Prostitute), but I don't pretend they shouldn't do that because of those poor casuals. As someone said above, a lot of casuals don't even know songs like Rocket Queen. Good luck getting them to appreciate Locomotive then. Looking at it from that perspective, CD and TIL, as much as I hate them, might actually appeal to casuals more than some UYI deep cuts. Much easier to get into if you've never heard them before.

I'm not saying CD should never been played, just not every single show. For example they could play SOD and Breakdown one show. And at some other time they could play TWAT and Pefect Crime.

Been  to  countless gigs over  the  years  but  GnR's performance at  Slane completely  blew me away.  As  a few  have  already  said  it  was  a surreal emotional  experience  seeing and  hearing the  guys tear it  up after  years  of  thinking  it would  never  happen.  The  crowd was  bananas. You could  really  see and  feel the  band  feeding  off the  crowd. Axl really  brought it  but  it really  is "the  slash show". The  guy  is an absolute guitar monster. He's  playing  is  better than ever and  the  place went ape shit whenever  he  stared soloing.As  far  as  the  songs went estranged in  particular was  amazing. Gotta say  the  seeker  really  is a great  addition to the  set  and  fits in  nicely  in the  encore. All  in  all it was  the  perfect setting for  one  of rocks  all time  greats. 

Edited by blackrose87
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, steveysham said:

Exactly. I'd dare say there were people there who didn't know Rocket Queen. 

But I'm sure they know Don't Cry and they didn't get to hear it. Instead they got CD, TIL, Better. They don't know those songs either

2 hours ago, Kearnsy said:

Major complaint here about the show. Gold Circle Wristbands. After paying €150+ you would think the wrist bands would have some reference to the show. Instead, they were issuing bands with 'Beyonce - Croke Park'. Also, this will really annoy everyone who paid the full fee, one of the guys issuing the wristbands was handing out as many as you requested. A lady in front of me asked for 4 in addition her own and got thew. Another lady got 2 additional bands. 

Were you able to choose which GC side you wanted to stand on or were you forced into Duff's side?

6 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Were you able to choose which GC side you wanted to stand on or were you forced into Duff's side?

I had Gold Circle (no mention on A or B on the ticket) but there was a sign stating GC & GC-A were to use the same entrance. Got an email stating the same.

Just now, Blake Sabbath said:

Dang, so presumably unless your ticket said GC-B on it you weren't gonna be on Slash's side?! :-/

Yeah. When i bought my presale ticket within minutes of being announced with the fan club, it was only GC with no mention of A or B. They only appeared at the general public sale so didnt really have a choice.

1 minute ago, Kearnsy said:

Yeah. When i bought my presale ticket within minutes of being announced with the fan club, it was only GC with no mention of A or B. They only appeared at the general public sale so didnt really have a choice.

Exactly, the same scenario for me for both London shows.. Fuck I'll be pissed if I can't be on Slash's side for at least 1 night