05/30/17 - Bilbao, ES - Estadio San Mames

alfierose

Axl was better tonight but still nowhere near as good as he could be. But it was an improvement nonetheless. He was running a hell of a lot tonight as well which was cool.

On to the next one! I predict Prostitute will get played within the next two shows.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

too much covers... why play The Seeker if they are playing BHS in the middle of the set?

Because they are playing that song since 2012... and BHS is a tribute to Chris Cornell

2 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

The whinging in these show threads is getting beyond ridiculous. 

You want the band to change it up, you whinge for something new, they give you BHS. A song they don't have to do!!!' But they do it as a tribute to their late great friend. They've played it twice, which is 2 more times than they have too. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these shows are for people who bought a ticket, not for people stealing a live feed on periscope! You didn't pay for it, the band doesn't owe you anything if you're sitting behind a keyboard at mum and dads in your room! 

I saw someone else in this thread tried to state that axl has been bad since Sth America, right through the Australia leg etc. It's comments like this which are entirely unfair and gives this place a bad name. 

I'm all for being honest and I'm not just defending axl blindly but yet again, we have another show thread which had some pretty shitty unfair comments from people watching on dodgy feeds. 

id much prefer to hear from people at the shows for their opinions. 

Exactly!

I fully understand why they keep almost staple setlist. Because the setlist is fcking great! Compare the setlist we have today to UYI era days and be amazed how this one wipes the ass with 1992 and 1993 shows setlists ;) Yes and I know there were few occasions where they played 3 hours and setlist was great but mostly the show lasted 2 hours.

Axl seemed to have control of his voice on this one and its a great sign. Running around etc.

Cant wait for the reviews from forum members who attended to the show!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Much less whinging on this one than Slane though.

I was just annoyed by the comment regarding axl being horrible all through the Oz leg since Sth America. 

i don't think that's a fair comment. 

The set list has been slightly varied so far, which is what we wanted and whilst I always agree that there's more room to move on that, I didn't pay for a ticket so I have no right to complain ?

6 minutes ago, Kelmi said:

Exactly!

I fully understand why they keep almost staple setlist. Because the setlist is fcking great! Compare the setlist we have today to UYI era days and be amazed how this one wipes the ass with 1992 and 1993 shows setlists ;) Yes and I know there were few occasions where they played 3 hours and setlist was great but mostly the show lasted 2 hours.

Axl seemed to have control of his voice on this one and its a great sign. Running around etc.

Cant wait for the reviews from forum members who attended to the show!

I am open to set list changes like the next person, but let's be honest, it wouldn't matter what they played someone would moan about it ?

i agree with some of the points you've made above, Axl for the most part has been pretty good. Let's be honest, he's human in a live setting, it's not a cd where it's rehearsed a million times and cut into parts and stuck together so it all sounds 100% perfect. 

Its a live gig, that's the beauty of it! I don't really understand how people can not see this? Lol 

Edited by Tadsy

Even though I've been openly critical of how Axl sounded on Black Hole Sun in Ireland, it's cool they kept it in the set. I can imagine like many songs it will only get better the more they do it. I wouldn't even mind seeing it in Ottawa later this year. I do so wish they'd drop The Seeker though...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GNR 1991 said:

Yeah, he sounds winded and unprepared for new things like TWAT and BHS, and horrible on Coma. This was not the case for the most of the NA tour and the Aussie leg.

But yeah, as it stands he sounds like shit and the European fans deserve more from him.

90 thousand people in Slane would strongly disagree. 

• Like 1

Just now, James Bond said:

Even though I've been openly critical of how Axl sounded on Black Hole Sun in Ireland, it's cool they kept it in the set. I can imagine like many songs it will only get better the more they do it. I wouldn't even mind seeing it in Ottawa later this year. I do so wish they'd drop The Seeker though...

The more I listened to Black Hole Sun from Slane, the more I liked it. I think it'll only get better the more they play it and I really hope they keep playing it throughout the summer. Also, I understand where people come from with The Seeker, but I'd rather they play that as an "extra", than nothing at all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

I was just annoyed by the comment regarding axl being horrible all through the Oz leg since Sth America. 

i don't think that's a fair comment. 

The set list has been slightly varied so far, which is what we wanted and whilst I always agree that there's more room to move on that, I didn't pay for a ticket so I have no right to complain ?

Yeah I agree. I think since the North American leg the pattern of Axl's performances have been pretty consistent. Axl was rusty until around Porto Alegre for the South American dates then he really started to sound great. São Paulo #2 in particular was brilliant.

Same with Asia/Pacific he was really rusty in Japan (Kobe was painful) but Tokyo #2 was great. I will agree though that while the New Zealand shows were great, as was Brisbane, he did seem to coast a bit and phone it in for the last couple of Aussie dates. Especially Perth. The last three Asian dates were awesome though.

I also think tonight was a lot better than Slane and miles better than the first 3 Japanese dates back in January.

All of those shows I mentioned however were nowhere near as good as any AC/DC performance.

(All this is from memory of watching Periscope feeds at the time so it's not exactly reliable.) I've only rewatched like, 2 all the way through ha.

Edited by AlexC
  • Like 2

I've just come back to my hotel after the gig. I enjoyed the concert but never got as enthusiastic as I did when I saw them a year ago. But that ain't that strange, I've already seen basically the same show once and the last time it was a huge thing for me to finally see Gn'R (with Duff and Slash). This time was really good as well, but it can never be the same thing for me again as it was the last time. 

Highlights from this night were This I Love (Axl did an amazing job on that song), Civil War (the band were great, but the response from the audience were overwhelming), Coma (both Axl and Slash pretty much nailed their parts), Sorry (this version were amazing!) and Don't Cry (not my favorite song, but Axl turned it in to one of the highlights tonight). I was glad that they played Black Hole Sun, but Axl had some problems with that song so I never felt that they reached the level that I think they can reach on that song. 

Overall a good consert and I'm looking forward to seeing them soon again. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

I am open to set list changes like the next person, but let's be honest, it wouldn't matter what they played someone would moan about it ?

i agree with all the points you've made above, Axl for the most part has been pretty good. Let's be honest, he's human in a live setting, it's not a cd where it's rehearsed a million times and cut into parts and stuck together so it all sounds 100% perfect. 

Its a live gig, that's the beauty of it! I don't really understand how people can not see this? Lol 

It Is not the fact that he doesn't sound 100% perfect because no one Is expecting that and It would defeat the entire purpose of going to a live concert. It Is the fact that he doesn't sound anything like he used to on You Could Be Mine, Estranged, November Rain or Paradise City. 

7 minutes ago, OJones90 said:

90 thousand people in Slane would strongly disagree. 

It's always different when you are actually there and we all know that but the truth Is the last two gigs have been pretty spotty to say the least. 

30 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

You want the band to change it up, you whinge for something new, they give you BHS. A song they don't have to do!!!' But they do it as a tribute to their late great friend. They've played it twice, which is 2 more times than they have too. 

Thank god Chris Cornell didn't die in vain. Black Hole Sun is becoming a new setlist staple.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these shows are for people who bought a ticket, not for people stealing a live feed on periscope! You didn't pay for it, the band doesn't owe you anything if you're sitting behind a keyboard at mum and dads in your room! 

I saw someone else in this thread tried to state that axl has been bad since Sth America, right through the Australia leg etc. It's comments like this which are entirely unfair and gives this place a bad name. 

I'm all for being honest and I'm not just defending axl blindly but yet again, we have another show thread which had some pretty shitty unfair comments from people watching on dodgy feeds. 

id much prefer to hear from people at the shows for their opinions. 

Excellent post!!!!!

• Like 2