05/30/17 - Bilbao, ES - Estadio San Mames

alfierose

32 minutes ago, Kelmi said:

Exactly!

I fully understand why they keep almost staple setlist. Because the setlist is fcking great! Compare the setlist we have today to UYI era days and be amazed how this one wipes the ass with 1992 and 1993 shows setlists ;) Yes and I know there were few occasions where they played 3 hours and setlist was great but mostly the show lasted 2 hours.

Axl seemed to have control of his voice on this one and its a great sign. Running around etc.

Cant wait for the reviews from forum members who attended to the show!

what???? this setlist is better than the Illusion tour??? Lol!!! Lol!!!! no.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

100%. Every thread turns into the same discussion every time. It's either bitching about setlists, lack of old band members, dislike for current band members, or stuff about Axl's voice. Every time. I get it, everyone's entitled to their opinion much like we're entitled to ours. And I'm not asking for the site to be censored. But fuck, it gets annoying seeing that in every thread. I really just want to know what was played, get reviews/thoughts from people who attended, and see footage/pictures from the show in a thread like this. 

When it comes to setlists and stuff, I dunno why people expect something different everytime. When I went to a show, I was so damn excited and happy with what I saw, and everyone else was too. And then the thread was a bunch of, "Welp they played the same old stuff, no surprise!" "Can't stand Melissa but good show I guess" and "Trash, they don't care about the fans!" 

They DO care about the fans, that are actually there. Not the pricks on the internet bitching about setlists who aren't at the show. I do wish the mods would take a stance of disallowing that type of shit in proper stickied threads because it's always the same, but I get the discussion side of it. 

preach brotha,  although axl's voice can piss me off lol.......

16 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Edited the OP with the setlist and show artwork. Also, I must have missed it - did Melissa do something special before Don't Cry?

No they played an instrumental of the song "Melissa" by the Allman Brothers Band.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

The more I listened to Black Hole Sun from Slane, the more I liked it. I think it'll only get better the more they play it and I really hope they keep playing it throughout the summer. Also, I understand where people come from with The Seeker, but I'd rather they play that as an "extra", than nothing at all.

I agree. I think Axl done a decent job with it, and i quite liked it. As for The Seeker, i would rather it be replaced with something like Prostitute or You're Crazy.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1

I was working all day so haven't seen any vids yet, but all I can say about the set list is ???. Putting My Michelle just before NR is great. That section needed some rocking up and that does it. 

Black Hole Sun again- (I've never cared for it, but I'm fine with them playing it for a while as a tribute). Jamming on Melissa by the Allmans? Shit man, that's fuckin too cool.

And it looks like they are gonna go to the alt set list more unpredictably maybe?

I don't know how you can complain about this setlist. It's got something for everybody. (Maybe switch the opener once in a while to keep everyone on their toes? ;))

Axl has been rehearsing/ sound checking too. Seems like they're really giving 100% so far on this tour.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Axl Rose aka God said:

100%. Every thread turns into the same discussion every time. It's either bitching about setlists, lack of old band members, dislike for current band members, or stuff about Axl's voice. Every time. I get it, everyone's entitled to their opinion much like we're entitled to ours. And I'm not asking for the site to be censored. But fuck, it gets annoying seeing that in every thread. I really just want to know what was played, get reviews/thoughts from people who attended, and see footage/pictures from the show in a thread like this. 

When it comes to setlists and stuff, I dunno why people expect something different everytime. When I went to a show, I was so damn excited and happy with what I saw, and everyone else was too. And then the thread was a bunch of, "Welp they played the same old stuff, no surprise!" "Can't stand Melissa but good show I guess" and "Trash, they don't care about the fans!" 

They DO care about the fans, that are actually there. Not the pricks on the internet bitching about setlists who aren't at the show. I do wish the mods would take a stance of disallowing that type of shit in proper stickied threads because it's always the same, but I get the discussion side of it. 

Spot on

12 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I was working all day so haven't seen any vids yet, but all I can say about the set list is ???. Putting My Michelle just before NR is great. That section needed some rocking up and that does it. 

Black Hole Sun again- (I've never cared for it, but I'm fine with them playing it for a while as a tribute). Jamming on Melissa by the Allmans? Shit man, that's fuckin too cool.

And it looks like they are gonna go to the alt set list more unpredictably maybe?

I don't know how you can complain about this setlist. It's got something for everybody. (Maybe switch the opener once in a while to keep everyone on their toes? ;))

Axl has been rehearsing/ sound checking too. Seems like they're really giving 100% so far on this tour.

Spot on

Axl's voice shouldn't be a concern to anyone. He's just not singing full, and instead opts to a falsetto like note when he can. It's been by choice. Throw him back on stage with AC/DC and he's going to light it up...but he's got so many dates lined up that I think risk of blowing out the vocals, no matter how small the chance is is still a risk that's not worth it with the money on the line. The show can't go on without him and if singing full ups the chances that he could lose his voice for even a date or two just isn't worth it. 

As someone that has seen various versions of Axl's vocal changes I'd say you will not see a drastic improvement at a GNR show this year. When they get back into the studio and Axl wants to get his voice a certain way then we will see something change, but that may not even happen. 

I will say that if you are going to see them in the arena leg of the US that odds are you will see the best version of Axl this year. Rio will be over and the tour will wind down. Axl will have crossed many of the legal hurdles of completing the tour and can let loose a bit. He will likely come out strong to end the year like he did in 2006 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I don't know what's up with the hate on Axl's vocals, I think he sounds pretty fair for his age. We would be able to tell if he was phoning it in (Rio '11)

its not that he's phoning anything in and he's definitely not Rio 11 bad. He's still a great performer, but If we could compare Axl to a car he's basically a muscle car driving the speed limit, we know he's capable of opening it up (AC/DC) we know he can sound better on GNR songs (NA leg) but he's kinda coasting right now and I don't have a problem with it, I just like to know he has that second gear every now and then

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl's voice shouldn't be a concern to anyone. He's just not singing full, and instead opts to a falsetto like note when he can. It's been by choice. Throw him back on stage with AC/DC and he's going to light it up...but he's got so many dates lined up that I think risk of blowing out the vocals, no matter how small the chance is is still a risk that's not worth it with the money on the line. The show can't go on without him and if singing full ups the chances that he could lose his voice for even a date or two just isn't worth it. 

As someone that has seen various versions of Axl's vocal changes I'd say you will not see a drastic improvement at a GNR show this year. When they get back into the studio and Axl wants to get his voice a certain way then we will see something change, but that may not even happen. 

I will say that if you are going to see them in the arena leg of the US that odds are you will see the best version of Axl this year. Rio will be over and the tour will wind down. Axl will have crossed many of the legal hurdles of completing the tour and can let loose a bit. He will likely come out strong to end the year like he did in 2006 

Nah he just hasn't rehearsed enough during the break (if at all). We've seen this consistently throughout the tour. Minus the North American leg because it was sandwiched between AC/DC and he rehearsed like fuck for them.

But on the South American leg it took him until about São Paulo before his rasp was fully back and he was utilising it when he wanted (I agree, he chooses not to use it on some songs for whatever reason; Estranged, Sweet Child etc.) but it took him a fair few shows for him to even start rasping Jungle.

Same thing with Asia/Oceania a few months ago, the lack of rehearsals were evident and it wasn't really until Tokyo before he was back into the swing of things and singing the more demanding stuff comfortably and it wasn't until New Zealand until he was truly impressive (by his standards).

So while I agree that he chooses how to sing certain songs consciously overall, I also think it's obvious when he's struggling due to lack of preparation.

46 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I don't know what's up with the hate on Axl's vocals, I think he sounds pretty fair for his age. We would be able to tell if he was phoning it in (Rio '11)

I'm kind of with you.. It seems like he is trying and that is all you can really ask... Though I watched a bunch of videos from the last show and he did sound pretty weak.. I have said all along he needs to sound good to make this work.. Slash and Duff aren't enough to carry a whole show if he isn't sounding good.. I think if there were more original members on stage it would also put less focus on Axl's voice..

5 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Nah he just hasn't rehearsed enough during the break (if at all).

And taht is acceptable for $200/$300 a ticket?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

And taht is acceptable for $200/$300 a ticket?

Absolutely not, I'd be quite disappointed if I got a 50% Axl performance. But as you can see from the reviews of people who have been to those early leg shows, they don't seem to notice/care.

Look at people's reviews from Slane on here. They were just as happy as the people who went to see Philly/LA/Brisbane or even Axl/DC. They all say "Axl sounded phenomenal." So either they're fooling themselves, or he genuinely sounds good enough on a bad day when you're there, due the acoustics or reverb on the mic of some shit.

Ive only seen him with AC/DC recently so when I see him London I'll have to compare. Hopefully he's back on form by then anyway.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Nah he just hasn't rehearsed enough during the break (if at all). We've seen this consistently throughout the tour. Minus the North American leg because it was sandwiched between AC/DC and he rehearsed like fuck for them.

But on the South American leg it took him until about São Paulo before his rasp was fully back and he was utilising it when he wanted (I agree, he chooses not to use it on some songs for whatever reason; Estranged, Sweet Child etc.) but it took him a fair few shows for him to even start rasping Jungle.

Same thing with Asia/Oceania a few months ago, the lack of rehearsals were evident and it wasn't really until Tokyo before he was back into the swing of things and singing the more demanding stuff comfortably and it wasn't until New Zealand until he was truly impressive (by his standards).

So while I agree that he chooses how to sing certain songs consciously overall, I also think it's obvious when he's struggling due to lack of preparation.

US leg was better than anything he's done since with GNR imo. I don't feel like he's gotten back to that level at any point overseas.