05/30/17 - Bilbao, ES - Estadio San Mames

alfierose

6 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

US leg was better than anything he's done since with GNR imo. I don't feel like he's gotten back to that level at any point overseas. 

Yeah you might be right about that. But with the extensive touring that lies ahead for the rest of this year without hardly any breaks (I think the longest one is less than two weeks) it'll do him good.

He should be a monster by the arena run.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I'm kind of with you.. It seems like he is trying and that is all you can really ask... Though I watched a bunch of videos from the last show and he did sound pretty weak.. I have said all along he needs to sound good to make this work.. Slash and Duff aren't enough to carry a whole show if he isn't sounding good.. I think if there were more original members on stage it would also put less focus on Axl's voice..

I think me and you both have posted a hundred times that we wish Axl's approach on YCBM was a deeper lower voice :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FallToPieces65 said:

What was the attendance around?????

Almost 40'000 people (it was the first concert in this new stadium).

source: http://www.elmundo.es/cultura/musica/2017/05/31/592e0e96268e3ec5608b457e.html

According to that review, the weakest moments of the show happened when they played the CD songs.

Edited by supercool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, supercool said:

Almost 40'000 people (it was the first concert in this new stadium).

source: http://www.elmundo.es/cultura/musica/2017/05/31/592e0e96268e3ec5608b457e.html

According to that review, the weakest moments of the show happened when they played the CD songs.

I would have to agree that the CD songs are the low point of the show, and they are playing 4-5 off of the album every night. They would certainly get a better response replacing a few of those songs for a few off of the Illusion albums.

• Like 2

Just watched a few videos and Slash gave me goosebumps once again. What a monster he is!! I'm a bit tired of the Godfather theme but I feel this time was really mindblowing. It started a bit shaky but then Slash turned it into one of the greatest things ever! :drool: 

Of course this wasn't Axl's best show ever but based on the few vids I saw from the Slane show, he seems to have improved A LOT. Loved the way he sang Estranged and the Jungle intro was epic!

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

No and no - no on all accounts.

7 hours ago, Kelmi said:

Compare the setlist we have today to UYI era days and be amazed how this one wipes the ass with 1992 and 1993 shows setlists

Coma, Estranged, November Rain and Civil War in the same setlist would've been epic in 1992, when those songs were brand new, but these songs are over 25 years old now.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tadsy said:

The whinging in these show threads is getting beyond ridiculous. 

You want the band to change it up, you whinge for something new, they give you BHS. A song they don't have to do!!!' But they do it as a tribute to their late great friend. They've played it twice, which is 2 more times than they have too. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these shows are for people who bought a ticket, not for people stealing a live feed on periscope! You didn't pay for it, the band doesn't owe you anything if you're sitting behind a keyboard at mum and dads in your room! 

I saw someone else in this thread tried to state that axl has been bad since Sth America, right through the Australia leg etc. It's comments like this which are entirely unfair and gives this place a bad name. 

I'm all for being honest and I'm not just defending axl blindly but yet again, we have another show thread which had some pretty shitty unfair comments from people watching on dodgy feeds. 

id much prefer to hear from people at the shows for their opinions. 

Welcome to the Forum, Dude!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Just watched a few videos and Slash gave me goosebumps once again. What a monster he is!! I'm a bit tired of the Godfather theme but I feel this time was really mindblowing. It started a bit shaky but then Slash turned it into one of the greatest things ever! :drool: 

Of course this wasn't Axl's best show ever but based on the few vids I saw from the Slane show, he seems to have improved A LOT. Loved the way he sang Estranged and the Jungle intro was epic!

Beautiful.

Slash is the star of this reunion.  That Godfather was incredible.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Coma, Estranged, November Rain and Civil War in the same setlist would've been epic in 1992, when those songs were brand new, but these songs are over 25 years old now.

Well Slash and Axl being on stage is still something that up until early last year hasn't happened since 1993.  So yeah having these guys playing all those songs together now is epic

• Like 4

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

One of my favorite moments is in 2014 when they opened with YCBM and Axl comes out singing the first line in a deeper voice like he was about to sing Chinese Democracy but then remembered "wait this song requires my amazing falsetto" and switches to it on the next line...just devastating 

1:13

If only he would forget to switch to his amazing falsetto once to see how much people appreciate his lower voice.... And no, I'm not a periscope complainer. I'm going to a GNR gig pretty soon and I do think Axl sounds amazing on many songs. But it would be great if Axl would try using his lower voice more often.

5 hours ago, AlexC said:

Absolutely not, I'd be quite disappointed if I got a 50% Axl performance. But as you can see from the reviews of people who have been to those early leg shows, they don't seem to notice/care.

Look at people's reviews from Slane on here. They were just as happy as the people who went to see Philly/LA/Brisbane or even Axl/DC. They all say "Axl sounded phenomenal." So either they're fooling themselves, or he genuinely sounds good enough on a bad day when you're there, due the acoustics or reverb on the mic of some shit.

Ive only seen him with AC/DC recently so when I see him London I'll have to compare. Hopefully he's back on form by then anyway.

I think it's both aspects. At a live consert people tend to be less critical and more enthusiastic and therefore not able to hear the flaws. It's that way with me and it seemed to be the same with most people around me last night. But then we have the sound as well. In the rock songs it was hard to her nuances last night. People were screaming and often it was hard to tell if Axl were singing with rasp or not. So my live impression of My Michelle and my impressions listening to it on YouTube today is completely different. 

In the ballads it's easier to hear how the vocals actually sounds. But then the heat of the moment sometimes makes them better then they actually are.

With that said I have to say that I'm really impressed of Axl 2016/2017. He works hard, often sings amazing and plays for 3h. Sure his not always brilliant and some songs sounds a bit week, but I have no problems with that. I'm quite sure that he does the best he can every night.

3 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Easy/This I Love/Black Hole Sun/Estranged/KOHD/Don't Cry footages... Great quality.

Ughh wankers with their phones. What do they think they're doing, or what do they expect to gain from it beyond a soar arm?

2 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Slash is the star of this reunion. 

He's carried the GNR legacy on his back now for almost 25 years, even when Axl was doing his best to run it into the ground.

For as happy as I am to see him back in GNR I am equally as sad that it has come with the sky high price tag of no more new music and a mute existence. Slash fans had a great little run there from 2004 to 2014 where we got 5 albums out of him in his various groups.

• Like 2

had to give up last night cos couldn`t get a decent feed and all the vocal experts just get to annoying big thanks to everyone who did keep posting links :thumbsup:

2 shows in played to over a 100,000 people they seem happy the band seems happy I`m happy :heart:

• Like 2