05/30/17 - Bilbao, ES - Estadio San Mames

alfierose

49 minutes ago, Naupis said:

For as happy as I am to see him back in GNR I am equally as sad that it has come with the sky high price tag of no more new music and a mute existence. 

What are you talking about? We know that Slash's been in the studio recording new music. Even if there would never be a new GNR album, we know that at least Slash will be releasing new stuff in the future as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeez said:

Tokyo 92:

1. Nightrain
  2. Brownstone
  3. Live and let die
  4. Its so easy
  5. Bad obsession
  6. Attitude
  7. Pretty Tied Up
  8. Jungle
  9. Dont Cry
  10. Double Talkin Jive
  11. Civil War
  12. Patience
  13. You Could Be Mine
  14. November Rain
  15. Sweet Child O'Mine
  16. So Fine
  17. Rocket Queen
  18. Move to the City
  19. Estranged
  20. Paradise City

16 of these songs are still played regularly today. Yet they include Coma, My Michelle, Out to get me, Seeker and 4 CD songs regularly too. No, I dont understand the setlist complaints at all.

Well they've only released one album since those days (original material) so that's a bit of an obvious one ! 

25 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Well they've only released one album since those days (original material) so that's a bit of an obvious one ! 

It's a reunion tour.. They haven't been together since those days.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl's voice shouldn't be a concern to anyone. He's just not singing full, and instead opts to a falsetto like note when he can. It's been by choice. Throw him back on stage with AC/DC and he's going to light it up...but he's got so many dates lined up that I think risk of blowing out the vocals, no matter how small the chance is is still a risk that's not worth it with the money on the line. The show can't go on without him and if singing full ups the chances that he could lose his voice for even a date or two just isn't worth it. 

As someone that has seen various versions of Axl's vocal changes I'd say you will not see a drastic improvement at a GNR show this year. When they get back into the studio and Axl wants to get his voice a certain way then we will see something change, but that may not even happen. 

I will say that if you are going to see them in the arena leg of the US that odds are you will see the best version of Axl this year. Rio will be over and the tour will wind down. Axl will have crossed many of the legal hurdles of completing the tour and can let loose a bit. He will likely come out strong to end the year like he did in 2006 

There we go! If only 90% of the garbage from the forum could be deleted so that only intelligent posts were left. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AlexC said:

Nah he just hasn't rehearsed enough during the break (if at all). We've seen this consistently throughout the tour. Minus the North American leg because it was sandwiched between AC/DC and he rehearsed like fuck for them.

But on the South American leg it took him until about São Paulo before his rasp was fully back and he was utilising it when he wanted (I agree, he chooses not to use it on some songs for whatever reason; Estranged, Sweet Child etc.) but it took him a fair few shows for him to even start rasping Jungle.

Same thing with Asia/Oceania a few months ago, the lack of rehearsals were evident and it wasn't really until Tokyo before he was back into the swing of things and singing the more demanding stuff comfortably and it wasn't until New Zealand until he was truly impressive (by his standards).

So while I agree that he chooses how to sing certain songs consciously overall, I also think it's obvious when he's struggling due to lack of preparation.

Totally wrong, Chaos is right. He's not struggling at all. Struggling from not being prepared is Rio '11. If he was struggling he wouldn't be happy and you could see the effort and exertion on his face. He's choosing to save his voice. Couldn't be any more obvious from the patterns of the last 15+ years. Moreover, when he goes from clean falsetto to screaming in Better, well, there ya go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jordan Rose said:

Nice Better. I can cope with the falsetto when he really goes for it in the screaming part. 

Yeah, I though it was a pretty good Better too. There was some "occasional rasp" :D here and there even when he wasn't screaming. For example I don't think the "now I know you better, you know I know better" -part  has always been that raspy. But most importantly there seemed to be a little more power in his voice compared to some other performances. The clean voice doesn't bother me that much, as long as there's some power behind it.

39 minutes ago, Gerbos said:

I decided to not talk to him. Instead I pretended that I didn't know who he was.

Good on you man. It has to be a total pain on the ass to constantly have people/fans attack you.

"I'm your biggest fan. Your music changed my life. I got married to November rain. Appetite was the soundtrack of my youth." Duff had heard that same exact statement 63,397 times. 

At a concert venue - they are open game. 

But in the dude's day off when he is out with his wife - people should respect his privacy. 

Good on you. Props for not invading his space and letting him chill and enjoy his day. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Good on you man. It has to be a total pain on the ass to constantly have people/fans attack you.

"I'm your biggest fan. Your music changed my life. I got married to November rain. Appetite was the soundtrack of my youth." Duff had heard that same exact statement 63,397 times. 

At a concert venue - they are open game. 

But in the dude's day off when he is out with his wife - people should respect his privacy. 

Good on you. Props for not invading his space and letting him chill and enjoy his day. 

Spot on ,good observation,☺

• Like 1

21 hours ago, killuridols said:

What a beautiful stadium!!! :wow:

omg soooo jealous of the people at that show right now and that piiiittt :drool:

YOU should have been  there with me! Incredible Show,  me and a friend were the first two persons gettig in! (Waiting 8 hora of course). They sold only 25 GC Early entry tickets here! Will post Photos and some vids in a few days(will see more shows....:smiley-confused2::dance:

33 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Did they pull out any "deep cuts" from any of the albums? Songs that have rarely been played?

They are coming back to my state and I'm deciding on whether or not to drop the 500-600 to attend (two tickets).  I've seen these guys in their prime when they were hungry for success and when shows contained new material - that was an exciting time. 

Well they did play There Was A Time. That's some kind of a rarely played deep cut I guess. Prostitute has been rehearsed also.

Who knows if there's gonna be any surprises when they come back to states. I'm going to see them when they come to Finland and I'm sure it's gonna be fun, but after that... Well personally I'm not going to another GNR show ever again, before they release a new album. Cause nostalgia bands don't interests me. It's cool that Slash and Duff are back and that's why I'm going to the show. Also because of Coma. But after that only new music will get me excited again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Totally wrong, Chaos is right. He's not struggling at all. Struggling from not being prepared is Rio '11. If he was struggling he wouldn't be happy and you could see the effort and exertion on his face. He's choosing to save his voice. Couldn't be any more obvious from the patterns of the last 15+ years. Moreover, when he goes from clean falsetto to screaming in Better, well, there ya go.

Don't agree. His voice is still warming up, and it might take a while before it's in good shape. The falsetto he's using is weak, he's hitting the correct pitch but you hear the control on the note is not very strong, listen to how he finishes any sustained phrase. 

We've heard him sing well, and we've heard him when he's not singing well, and unfortunately right now he's not in great vocal shape. Has he lost his voice? is it back to '11? no, but he's miles away from where he started on the NITL tour and that is 100% down to preparation. 

I just listened to a Sammy Hagar interview, and yes he's coming on 70 and Axl is only 55; but he raised a valid point saying that when he's off the road he has to sing every day otherwise he feels his voice going. I can only speculate, but I just can't imagine Axl doing warm ups, or singing every day when he's off the road, or even on the days in between shows. When you listen to a singer who puts on a great performance nightly discuss the prep that goes into making sure they deliver that level performance each night, they always say it's continuous work. 

Axl is putting on low/average vocal performances thus far on this leg, and if you know anything about Axl you know that he's an egomaniac - he wants to go out and have people say "he sounds better than ever" he doesn't play by the usual rules other singers do, he goes for the high note every night irregardless of whether it might affect his performance the following night. He isn't saving his voice, he's just a bit unprepared and warming up on the road... as per usual. 

17 hours ago, Tadsy said:

The whinging in these show threads is getting beyond ridiculous. 

You want the band to change it up, you whinge for something new, they give you BHS. A song they don't have to do!!!' But they do it as a tribute to their late great friend. They've played it twice, which is 2 more times than they have too. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these shows are for people who bought a ticket, not for people stealing a live feed on periscope! You didn't pay for it, the band doesn't owe you anything if you're sitting behind a keyboard at mum and dads in your room! 

I saw someone else in this thread tried to state that axl has been bad since Sth America, right through the Australia leg etc. It's comments like this which are entirely unfair and gives this place a bad name. 

I'm all for being honest and I'm not just defending axl blindly but yet again, we have another show thread which had some pretty shitty unfair comments from people watching on dodgy feeds. 

id much prefer to hear from people at the shows for their opinions. 

I was at Slane and Axls vocals were weak. That's from watching in person, and listening back on other peoples recordings. 

I'm just one of thousands who thought that on the day. He was grand but it was by far the worst I'd heard him at a concert I attended (4 shows). 

In my opinion people don't need to go to the show to say whether Axl is on form or not. Lets face it, if Axl was singing great nobody here would have any problem with people saying so whether they were watching a free stream or not.

The thing that bothered me about your post was "You didn't pay for it, the band doesn't owe you anything if you're sitting behind a keyboard at mum and dads in your room!" That's a recycled Axl rant. Nobody here needs to defend Axl or any member of the band. They either deliver the goods or they are subject to critical comments, from people who attend the show, or from people who watch the show online 10yrs later. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

But even the screaming is cleaner than usual. Rasp or "glottal compression" as it's actually called, is extremely difficult to control or even summon at all when the throat isn't supple or used to doing it. For instance, if you haven't been singing demanding material for weeks and weeks and weeks, the vocal folds lose their flexibility and become dry very quickly when stressed. The more you sing the easier it becomes to do, especially with the muscle memory someone like Axl has.

You can hear how dry his throat is particularly on Nightrain, This I Love and Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Yes I have no doubt he's giving it his all during the show but due to his lack of preparation before hand he's gonna fall short for a while which is what we're seeing now.

Its like the gym. The longer you stop going, the longer it takes to get back up to where you were. A month or two isn't really that bad, but if you leave it years it takes a hell of a lot of work. Which is why I think there was a significant drop in quality from '93-'01 and took another 4 years of solid practice for him to get to '06 level.

I guarantee throughout the rest of this year you'll see a gradual improvement in his vocals and by the time it's over, if you compare the last show at the Forum to Slane it'll be like two different guys.

This has nothing to do with him "saving his voice." The way Axl sings even on full blast AC/DC level isn't dangerous or damaging. Difficult but not damaging.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, colonizedmind said:

They were broke up for 23 years....it's awesome to hear all these songs again.  My only complaint (or request) would be to drop the CD songs and The Seeker and insert (a rotation of these)  PTU, Yesterdays, So Fine, Dead Horse, Locomotive, Look At Your Game Girl and (if Izzy were around) 14 Years. 

• Like 1