05/30/17 - Bilbao, ES - Estadio San Mames

alfierose

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

Good on you man. It has to be a total pain on the ass to constantly have people/fans attack you.

"I'm your biggest fan. Your music changed my life. I got married to November rain. Appetite was the soundtrack of my youth." Duff had heard that same exact statement 63,397 times. 

At a concert venue - they are open game. 

But in the dude's day off when he is out with his wife - people should respect his privacy. 

Good on you. Props for not invading his space and letting him chill and enjoy his day. 

Well concluded, that's exactly how I see it as well! 

• Like 1

I feel like Axl did prepare for this leg. He's in considerably better shape than he has been the last 5 years, he played in front of Billy Joel's crowd a couple weeks ago and sounded pretty good. We had him at soundcheck, reportedly at rehearsals. Do I think he prepared like he did for the AC/DC shows? No. the first question Axl was asked in that Chinese Exchange interview was how he maintains his voice and he mentions he goes through a ton of vocal excercises before a show. 

I just don't get the sense that he came into this leg without prepping for it. I think he's just stuck in his ways on how he sings these songs and as long as people keep booking the band and fans keep giving them good reviews then what's the point of   Changing how he sings these songs. 

I know he's capable of doing more with the songs in the set...there is nothing in that set that is any harder than singing Back in Black, Hells Bells, Thunderstruck or any thing else he faced with AC/DC. 

I think we will continue to be disappointed with Axl's performances unless we just accept that this is the way he wants the songs portrayed currently. YCBM, NR, SCOM, and PC will always be bad under Axl's method but best case scenario he will get the other 20 songs right and the show will be as good as anything on the NA leg. Biggest issue I see is Jungle isn't even sounding good right now...hopefully that improves like it has in the past 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

I feel like Axl did prepare for this leg. He's in considerably better shape than he has been the last 5 years, he played in front of Billy Joel's crowd a couple weeks ago and sounded pretty good. We had him at soundcheck, reportedly at rehearsals. Do I think he prepared like he did for the AC/DC shows? No. the first question Axl was asked in that Chinese Exchange interview was how he maintains his voice and he mentions he goes through a ton of vocal excercises before a show. 

I just don't get the sense that he came into this leg without prepping for it. I think he's just stuck in his ways on how he sings these songs and as long as people keep booking the band and fans keep giving them good reviews then what's the point of   Changing how he sings these songs. 

I know he's capable of doing more with the songs in the set...there is nothing in that set that is any harder than singing Back in Black, Hells Bells, Thunderstruck or any thing else he faced with AC/DC. 

I think we will continue to be disappointed with Axl's performances unless we just accept that this is the way he wants the songs portrayed currently. YCBM, NR, SCOM, and PC will always be bad under Axl's method but best case scenario he will get the other 20 songs right and the show will be as good as anything on the NA leg. Biggest issue I see is Jungle isn't even sounding good right now...hopefully that improves like it has in the past 

No doubt about It. If he can pull off the AC/DC material and sound like the Axl from 1992-1993 then he should be able to pull off his own material. Listen to the following video from 1:40 to 1:45 and ask yourself If Axl has sounded even half as good since the band reunited, as he did here. 

13 minutes ago, ironmt said:

No doubt about It. If he can pull off the AC/DC material and sound like the Axl from 1992-1993 then he should be able to pull off his own material. Listen to the following video from 1:40 to 1:45 and ask yourself If Axl has sounded even half as good since the band reunited, as he did here. 

I love that part, it's like he was running out of air and instead of letting the notes go he just digs down finds that next gear to get it out properly. Brilliant 

i love this one personally! He just sings this like it's a walk in the park...it's perfect. AC/DC is the proof he's capable. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ironmt said:

Axl/DC was fucking immense live. I listen to bootlegs all the time now. Can't get enough :headbang:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I love that part, it's like he was running out of air and instead of letting the notes go he just digs down finds that next gear to get it out properly. Brilliant 

i love this one personally! He just sings this like it's a walk in the park...it's perfect. AC/DC is the proof he's capable. 

That Is an excellent performance. I actually can't wait to see him back on stage with AC/DC, or at least with Angus. With the respect that Axl has for him I think It will happen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Axl/DC was fucking immense live. I listen to bootlegs all the time now. Can't get enough :headbang:

It Is amazing and what Is even more amazing Is the fact that Axl was able to convert a lot of AC/DC fans, which Is not an easy task. 

• Like 1

As someone from Philly, it sure is nice having seen both GnR and Axl/DC here in 2016. He really has been on FIRE in Philly. Hopefully when I see them in Hershey this summer some of the Philly magic spreads and he has some left over for this fall in Philly again! Boy 2016 and 2017 are awesome.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AlexC said:

But even the screaming is cleaner than usual. Rasp or "glottal compression" as it's actually called, is extremely difficult to control or even summon at all when the throat isn't supple or used to doing it. For instance, if you haven't been singing demanding material for weeks and weeks and weeks, the vocal folds lose their flexibility and become dry very quickly when stressed. The more you sing the easier it becomes to do, especially with the muscle memory someone like Axl has.

You can hear how dry his throat is particularly on Nightrain, This I Love and Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Yes I have no doubt he's giving it his all during the show but due to his lack of preparation before hand he's gonna fall short for a while which is what we're seeing now.

Its like the gym. The longer you stop going, the longer it takes to get back up to where you were. A month or two isn't really that bad, but if you leave it years it takes a hell of a lot of work. Which is why I think there was a significant drop in quality from '93-'01 and took another 4 years of solid practice for him to get to '06 level.

I guarantee throughout the rest of this year you'll see a gradual improvement in his vocals and by the time it's over, if you compare the last show at the Forum to Slane it'll be like two different guys.

This has nothing to do with him "saving his voice." The way Axl sings even on full blast AC/DC level isn't dangerous or damaging. Difficult but not damaging.

Axl's voice change from 93 to 2000 was not because of the break, it was because a surgery to romove nodules I think. Just see youtube audio when he sang dead flowers with Gilby in august 2000 (93 voice) and then 4 months later in House of Blues he sounded "cleaner" or mickey

1 hour ago, lost un the jungle said:

Axl's voice change from 93 to 2000 was not because of the break, it was because a surgery to romove nodules I think. Just see youtube audio when he sang dead flowers with Gilby in august 2000 (93 voice) and then 4 months later in House of Blues he sounded "cleaner" or mickey

The YouTube audio is not actually from the 2000 show. No audio of that exists. A good few videos label as that for clickbait.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Don't agree. His voice is still warming up, and it might take a while before it's in good shape. The falsetto he's using is weak, he's hitting the correct pitch but you hear the control on the note is not very strong, listen to how he finishes any sustained phrase. 

We've heard him sing well, and we've heard him when he's not singing well, and unfortunately right now he's not in great vocal shape. Has he lost his voice? is it back to '11? no, but he's miles away from where he started on the NITL tour and that is 100% down to preparation. 

I just listened to a Sammy Hagar interview, and yes he's coming on 70 and Axl is only 55; but he raised a valid point saying that when he's off the road he has to sing every day otherwise he feels his voice going. I can only speculate, but I just can't imagine Axl doing warm ups, or singing every day when he's off the road, or even on the days in between shows. When you listen to a singer who puts on a great performance nightly discuss the prep that goes into making sure they deliver that level performance each night, they always say it's continuous work. 

Axl is putting on low/average vocal performances thus far on this leg, and if you know anything about Axl you know that he's an egomaniac - he wants to go out and have people say "he sounds better than ever" he doesn't play by the usual rules other singers do, he goes for the high note every night irregardless of whether it might affect his performance the following night. He isn't saving his voice, he's just a bit unprepared and warming up on the road... as per usual. 

Yeah I see what you're saying and you're right. The point I was trying to make is that it's still a choice in advance. He chose to sing clean in 2001/2002. He chose to bring the rasp back at Hammerstein. He chose to go full on 1992 in 2006. He clearly didn't give a fuck wasting his chords rasping in 2011-2014. He chose to/had to prepare to sing like Brian/Bon. 

20 hours ago, AlexC said:

But even the screaming is cleaner than usual. Rasp or "glottal compression" as it's actually called, is extremely difficult to control or even summon at all when the throat isn't supple or used to doing it. For instance, if you haven't been singing demanding material for weeks and weeks and weeks, the vocal folds lose their flexibility and become dry very quickly when stressed. The more you sing the easier it becomes to do, especially with the muscle memory someone like Axl has.

You can hear how dry his throat is particularly on Nightrain, This I Love and Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Yes I have no doubt he's giving it his all during the show but due to his lack of preparation before hand he's gonna fall short for a while which is what we're seeing now.

Its like the gym. The longer you stop going, the longer it takes to get back up to where you were. A month or two isn't really that bad, but if you leave it years it takes a hell of a lot of work. Which is why I think there was a significant drop in quality from '93-'01 and took another 4 years of solid practice for him to get to '06 level.

I guarantee throughout the rest of this year you'll see a gradual improvement in his vocals and by the time it's over, if you compare the last show at the Forum to Slane it'll be like two different guys.

This has nothing to do with him "saving his voice." The way Axl sings even on full blast AC/DC level isn't dangerous or damaging. Difficult but not damaging.

As I said above I didn't make my point very well. I wasn't so much suggesting that he could 'turn on' his AC/DC voice at a moment's notice right now but that he goes into a tour choosing how prepared he wants to be and how he wants to sing.

And I really don't hear him struggling right now to try and sing better than he is. He sounds like he's quite happy where it's at right now. Struggling and straining to do better sounds like MTV '02 and Rio '11

21 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Am I right in saying the aforementioned whinging is all coming from people who have NOT attended a NITL show? 

I wonder if the people whining about the people sharing their open on a FORUM have attended a show?

But for the record. Several of the people sharing their opinion have indeed been to shows. 

And you do realize that if only people attending a show were allowed to post about it then every show topic on here would be one page long with 5-6 total posts. That would be pretty bad news for the health of the forum.

If non-attendees post a positive comment - does that change things for you? Are positive comments welcome?  

I didn't attend the Dodgers-Cardinals baseball game last night. Watched it on ESPN. Since I wasn't there in person does that mean I can't comment on what happened?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Apollo said:

I didn't attend the Dodgers-Cardinals baseball game last night. Watched it on ESPN. Since I wasn't there in person does that mean I can't comment on what happened?

You're not fooling anyone, everybody knows that nothing ever happens at baseball.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Apollo said:

I wonder if the people whining about the people sharing their open on a FORUM have attended a show?

But for the record. Several of the people sharing their opinion have indeed been to shows. 

And you do realize that if only people attending a show were allowed to post about it then every show topic on here would be one page long with 5-6 total posts. That would be pretty bad news for the health of the forum.

If non-attendees post a positive comment - does that change things for you? Are positive comments welcome?  

You totally didn't get what I meant.... Whoosh... lol