06/22/17 - Hannover, DE - Messe

alfierose

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

A lot of the positive reviews might have less to do with vocals and more to do with his attitude on timing. But I'm sure Axl knows he doesn't sound good on alot of the songs...it probably bothers him quite a bit.

With the reviews you have attitude, timing, crowd, spectacle, history, exceeded expectations etc and as far as vocals go even the weak falsetto sounds alright blasted across a stadium. I bet 99.9% of the people there don't even understand that it's falsetto.

As for what he thinks about it, it's a bit of a mystery because whenever he's talked about it he comes off as if he hasn't a clue what people are on about. e.g. that Ireland show a few years back when he said (paraphrasing "Someone said to me 'Why I love that song SoD but why don't you sing the end in your excellent raspy voice anymore?' and I was just like, wtf?!" as if he didn't understand what they were saying. 

The thing for me has always been that he performs completely differently when he's prepared and giving 100%. And once again, 2006-10 are when he came out looking and acting and performing like badass 1992 Axl whilst giving 100% vocally. AS much as he's smiling and running around and having fun right now, it's a totally different thing to those 2010 shows, or even the first Hammerstein show where he's fully aware that he absolutely owning his shit.  

I'm cool with what he's currently doing assuming that in the future he's going to use some of the voice he's banking now to tour and give 100% to new songs. If he just saves it for AC/DC and this is all we get with Guns until he retires i'll be hot about it. 

1 hour ago, Thierry1982 said:

Honestly it is what it is, Axl is in his mid 50ties and still sounding great on some songs and hit and miss on others. You guys should be blessed with him in this shape.

He sounds incredible when you're there in person, agreed. But videos don't lie and it has nothing to do with age, AC/DC proved that. I thouroughly enjoyed London and could hear when he wasn't using rasp but it sounded good through the PA. It's just effort. He's 70 something shows into this tour now and he's most likely stopped warming up etc. and become complacent. It is what it is, but don't just assume that it's age or whatever because it's obviously not and that gives a false representation of the quality of the band.

1 hour ago, Gavin82 said:

Great too see Angus on stage having no doubt he may turn up in Belgium or Holland id say he turns uo 1 or other

People still going on about Axl voice he is getting older i dont know why people even compare him too past years TBH it was the same with BJ on the Donnington MOR year he sounded fucking amazing then people still comoare his voice from then too now like when Axls too BJ age he will sound different again

Could say the same for The Boss & hes over 70 i believe & even Roger D they all sound different 

Comparing him to 2016. Not 1992.

7 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

Cool setlist as I just saw! and despite the waiting time and delay fans can say they attended a GNR show for 4 or 5 hours :P any footage of Riff Raff availaible yet?

It was definitely worth the waiting. 

So the theory is that Axl's clean falsetto sounds good and not mickey at all live (according to the vast majority of people who have attended the shows, including journalists) because it's blasted from the PA across the stadium.

I'd think that it'd be quite the opposite: that the louder and clearer a mickey voice would be in the mix, the more annoying it would sound. :shrugs: Or should I assume that Bee Gees wouldn't sound like Bee Gees under the same circumstances?

Maybe someone should try and play loud in a stadium the pro shot SCOM from The Troubadour - will Axl sound great? :question::P:lol:

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here - I admit I'm clueless about these things (vocals and sound systems).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

So the theory is that Axl's clean falsetto sounds good and not mickey at all live (according to the vast majority of people who have attended the shows, including journalists) because it's blasted from the PA across the stadium.

I'd think that it'd be quite the opposite: that the louder and clearer a mickey voice would be in the mix, the more annoying it would sound. :shrugs: Or should I assume that Bee Gees wouldn't sound like Bee Gees under the same circumstances?

Maybe someone should try and play loud in a stadium the pro shot SCOM from The Troubadour - will Axl sound great? :question::P:lol:

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here - I admit I'm clueless about this things (vocals and sound systems).

That's completely bullshit that it depends on the volume.

I never understood the loud volume or the YouTube argument. As if an HD video in 2017 magically erases the rasp when the audience videos in 2010 or the 2016 shows came across totally fine. Hardly anybody complained about his voice at all in the 2016 show threads and I don't just mean AC/DC. Then of course there's the old "how can you judge his voice on a YouTube video? He sounds amazing!" which is entirely hypocritical. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it seems that the criteria only applies when someone has a different opinion.

Certainly any show is going to sound better live at the massive volumes as intended and you'll have a good time regardless, but to pretend that Axl only gets magically off key and "Mickey" in the videos is crazy.

It's okay though. There was a Van Halen trainwreck in 2006 or 2007 when the keyboard track for Jump was started in the wrong key so Eddie's guitar as a result was totally out of tune with the backing track and there was someone actually arguing (on YouTube) that the camera/phone/whatever didn't interpret the key correctly and that the performance was fine. :lol:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I never understood the loud volume or the YouTube argument. As if an HD video in 2017 magically erases the rasp when the audience videos in 2010 or the 2016 shows came across totally fine. Hardly anybody complained about his voice at all in the 2016 show threads and I don't just mean AC/DC. Then of course there's the old "how can you judge his voice on a YouTube video? He sounds amazing!" which is entirely hypocritical. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it seems that the criteria only applies when someone has a different opinion.

Certainly any show is going to sound better live at the massive volumes as intended and you'll have a good time regardless, but to pretend that Axl only gets magically off key and "Mickey" in the videos is crazy.

It's okay though. There was a Van Halen trainwreck in 2006 or 2007 when the keyboard track for Jump was started in the wrong key so Eddie's guitar as a result was totally out of tune with the backing track and there was someone actually arguing (on YouTube) that the camera/phone/whatever didn't interpret the key correctly and that the performance was fine. :lol:

I agree that cell phones and youtube can't take away the rasp when it's there and turn it into clean voice/"mickey". However, it's possible that Axl's clean voice  indeed sounds good (=not mickey) live but for some reason it doesn't translate well on the recordings, and the reasons don't have to do with the volume.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here - I admit I'm clueless about these things (vocals and sound systems).

This is bulshit. I've seen Axl several times live, including last year, and mickey is still mickey, no matter the volume.

Thing is: He has his good moments and overall its an amazing experience, I havent seen anyone that actually attended to gigs complaning, being there is a total different thing, its great, but it doesnt mean Mickey sound good.

Edited by default_
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, default_ said:

This is bulshit. I've seen Axl several times live, including last year, and mickey is still mickey, no matter the volume.

Thing is: He has his good moments and overall its an amazing experience, I havent seen anyone that actually attended to gigs complaning, being there is a total different thing, its great, but it doesnt mean Mickey sound good.

Yet there have been a lot of people here (who attended the shows) saying that there is no mickey live.

I guess it depends on each one's preferences and perception of what is good (Axl) vocals. For some people it's only rasp and "mickey" is a code for clean voice/no rasp, although clean doesn't necessarily equal to mickey (and Axl's clean voice isn't always mickey).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1