06/22/17 - Hannover, DE - Messe

alfierose

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I never understood the loud volume or the YouTube argument. As if an HD video in 2017 magically erases the rasp when the audience videos in 2010 or the 2016 shows came across totally fine. Hardly anybody complained about his voice at all in the 2016 show threads and I don't just mean AC/DC. Then of course there's the old "how can you judge his voice on a YouTube video? He sounds amazing!" which is entirely hypocritical. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it seems that the criteria only applies when someone has a different opinion.

Certainly any show is going to sound better live at the massive volumes as intended and you'll have a good time regardless, but to pretend that Axl only gets magically off key and "Mickey" in the videos is crazy.

It's okay though. There was a Van Halen trainwreck in 2006 or 2007 when the keyboard track for Jump was started in the wrong key so Eddie's guitar as a result was totally out of tune with the backing track and there was someone actually arguing (on YouTube) that the camera/phone/whatever didn't interpret the key correctly and that the performance was fine. :lol:

To me Axl's voice sounds really good live, even on You Could Be Mine and other songs. I mean songs his voice sounds annoying on when I watch them on YouTube. I don't think it has anything to do with the volume and it's not the "live experience". It just sounds better live and it doesn't translate well on cellphone recordings or periscope. The pro shot recordings from Coachella made this clear since they sounded way better than the audience recordings of the same songs

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

To me Axl's voice sounds really good live, even on You Could Be Mine and other songs. I mean songs his voice sounds annoying on when I watch them on YouTube. I don't think it has anything to do with the volume and it's not the "live experience". It just sounds better live and it doesn't translate well on cellphone recordings or periscope. The pro shot recordings from Coachella made this clear since they sounded way better than the audience recordings of the same songs

it has nothing to do with the live performance or a youtube video, he sounds the same live or in a youtube video, in fact the youtube video is how he really sounds.....cellphone cameras or microphones captures the frequencies different as the human ear, when you are in a enviroment with high volume, your ears tend to close to protect the eardrum,  same thing happens when you listen to your own voice on a recorded device, that's how your voice really sounds and not how you hear yourself...

sorry for my english...(yes, i say this in every long post i make LOL)

6 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

That vintage intro...

Wow, intro is good, but this might be the worst performances of WTTJ since they got back together. Axl's voice is very very rough and, this time, not improving as the tour goes on.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gem Archer said:

it has nothing to do with the live performance or a youtube video, he sounds the same live or in a youtube video, in fact the youtube video is how he really sounds.....cellphone cameras or microphones captures the frequencies different as the human ear, when you are in a enviroment with high volume, your ears tend to close to protect the eardrum,  same thing happens when you listen to your own voice on a recorded device, that's how your voice really sounds and not how you hear yourself...

sorry for my english...(yes, i say this in every long post i make LOL)

Human eyes capture and define colors as we know them in sun light. Just because green may be looking differently under other circumstances it still is green. When I'm there and it sounds good I'm trusting that more than a bad recording. Of course you are entitled to trust the recording.

When Axl's voice sounds good on a pro shot and bad on periscope I tend to believe the better recording regardless of your theories.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The youtube/Rose's vocals thing can be put to bed very easily,

Also a Youtube video, also a phone clip yet with unmitigated rasp. End of argument.

You had the chance to watch/here it by yourself but you didn't.

Also his screams on WTTJ for example sound good on Youtube as well. We're talking about his singing without rasp.

Edited by Free Bird

It's all very simple, he does a bit of rasp on Jungle and here and there, SO he still has that, I mean look at last year...
He didn't damage his voice on the DC tour, it made him stronger if nothing else, hence a strong summer! 
Also he sounded at his best on the last DC date...
It's about 3 things, Prep, Rehearsal and duration!
Axl is going easy on his voice so as to not loose it over this mammoth tour ! It's a long strength and at 55

doing 3hr shows with those kinda songs, he clearly thinks he should be careful! It's a annoying these 

reunions shows didn't happen 7 years ago and by now we're on the next album but it's ok, 
it's a miracle they're even on stage! So it's not ideal but I'm pretty sure that's the facts! 
I probably could be pushing a bit harder but is either being told to save it or he doesn't feel

he can sustain it! The DC shows are a full hour less and in some ways less taxing, he let

Angus be frontman...
Axl  will sound like he did last year again, most likely with DC but I think the indoor gigs at the

end of the year will showcase him better ! 
The voice debate is nullified, it IS there, it's a choice....

Edited by colonizedmind

My short review from yesterday. As everyone has heard about the weather thing, i will write only bout music/AXL. I havent seen any videos from the show yet, but i will look at them after i have finished my psot and check, if my impressions were right.

First three songs solid as ever, "Jungle" after the break really weak, i was surprised. "Civil War" sounded good, "Better" and You could be mine" always his weakest song, but i got the feeling, that as the show went on,Axl improved more and more, "My Michelle" was phantastic, Nighttrain great, even Paradise City sounded quite good. One more thing: He didnt sounded too great, when Angus was on stage, it was okay, but not as great as exspected, when AC/DC is in da house.

Band was tight, Slash and Duff professionell as always.

What i heard on the radio right after the concert and read in the german press all the reviews are really, really good.For me personally it was a great show, i was and i am very happy and learned, that one hour of sleep is absolutley enough.

Edit: Forgot to say: What a long show, 3hours and 10min, longest show of the reunion so far? Not sure und it doesnt matter, but that had really class!

Edited by Fele
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

No one's saying that Youtube videos magically erase rasp, just that it's not unreasonable to think your phone's microphone isn't picking up the frequencies, timber and tone of Axl's clean voice as it sounds live. Live I was very impressed. His voice sounds somewhere between Appetite and late 90's Live Era studio vocals.

You can hear when he uses clean vocals over rasp, but it sounds good live.

Exactly this 

It's clear as day. Axl meticulously prepared in 2016, mainly for AC/DC but also a bit for GNR, used and worked his voice a lot, soundchecked and rehearsed with both bands. As a result, he sounded good with GNR and ridiculously awesome with AC/DC.

2017 Axl no longer fronts AC/DC. GNR is already somewhat working as an oiled engine and rehearsals are not really that necessary. The press and casuals do not even notice that Axl uses a different voice nowadays, as I read about his "trademark falsetto" being great at every gig. He has let a go and relaxed, which doesn't mean he is phoning it in - he is in very good shape, running around and all that. It's just, at his current age, performing at 2016 standards requires A LOT of vocal work, and he might be doing just less than that.

Nobody expects him to sound like 93, 06 or even 10. Maybe not even 16, tbh. Fans who follow him at every gig can't help but to get the impression that Axl is not at his best possible self at this point, and given ticket prices, Slash being back and the whole scale of the tour, it's perfectly fair to think he should be.

• Like 3

As others said, the youtube videos DON'T quite capture his voice, I'm wondering whether it maybe that the sound projects the treble more (which would make sense as that is where Axl's voice shines rather than bass) and most recording software accounts for higher trebles and adjusts the mix a touch when it comes out the other end. I notice with alot of older recordings/bootlegs they have a higher treble/less bass (especially in the 80s back). NONE of the recordings I've heard from London really have enough treble and its what I noticed live and it really helped somewhat 'mask' any weakness in his voice. Obviously it also has an impact on all the other instruments as well.

With that being said, listening to his voice, he did sound like he was struggling at times compared to previous shows on those cleaner notes, Coma was a real battle and he had to lower a few notes/cut them off in order to keep it going. Sure it was great there.

Edited by koldweather
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

With the reviews you have attitude, timing, crowd, spectacle, history, exceeded expectations etc and as far as vocals go even the weak falsetto sounds alright blasted across a stadium. I bet 99.9% of the people there don't even understand that it's falsetto.

As for what he thinks about it, it's a bit of a mystery because whenever he's talked about it he comes off as if he hasn't a clue what people are on about. e.g. that Ireland show a few years back when he said (paraphrasing "Someone said to me 'Why I love that song SoD but why don't you sing the end in your excellent raspy voice anymore?' and I was just like, wtf?!" as if he didn't understand what they were saying. 

The thing for me has always been that he performs completely differently when he's prepared and giving 100%. And once again, 2006-10 are when he came out looking and acting and performing like badass 1992 Axl whilst giving 100% vocally. AS much as he's smiling and running around and having fun right now, it's a totally different thing to those 2010 shows, or even the first Hammerstein show where he's fully aware that he absolutely owning his shit.  

I'm cool with what he's currently doing assuming that in the future he's going to use some of the voice he's banking now to tour and give 100% to new songs. If he just saves it for AC/DC and this is all we get with Guns until he retires i'll be hot about it. 

Yes he gave it 100 procent in 2006 and 2010, but you know he can't do that every night, he has been hard with his voice back in the day, he must take it easy, or he can't sing much in 3 years, i think.

5 minutes ago, Lucky girl said:

Did rain had so strong or the stage get wet to had to stopped?

In Brazil was raining almost every shows and no stopped

I think it was more the severe lightning they had at the time within the area, doubt it was safe given the number of strikes in the region.

8 minutes ago, koldweather said:

I think it was more the severe lightning they had at the time within the area, doubt it was safe given the number of strikes in the region.

Yes, i understand. They must had turned off the electricy 

by the away the crowd waited at same place, if lightning would fall ...

13 minutes ago, Lucky girl said:

A poster above said that depend  the promotor,maybe  he think  was dangerous ,not the band

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lucky girl said:

In Rio 2010 we had a big storm just before they opened the doors, the promoters decided to delay our entrance and that was the best decision because minutes later part of the stage fell on the area intended for the public and they cancelled the show. Rock In Rio 2011 we had maybe a bigger storm but they didn´t cancel and neither stopped the show...but we got that yellow disaster thing..:shrugs:

Palco-do-Guns-N-roses-desaba-na-Apoteose

13 minutes ago, Derick said:

In Rio 2010 we had a big storm just before they opened the doors, the promoters decided to delay our entrance and that was the best decision because minutes later part of the stage fell on the area intended for the public and they cancelled the show. Rock In Rio 2011 we had maybe a bigger storm but they didn´t cancel and neither stopped the show...but we got that yellow disaster thing..:shrugs:

Palco-do-Guns-N-roses-desaba-na-Apoteose

yeah, ...in last november literally rainy, on tour through Brazil in the first show at São Paulo the rain had comes heavy , in Rio didnt happened during gig, but the weather was cloudy and bring my raincoat on bag and finally last show in Brasilia Axl took the most famous yellon raincoat....In conclusion : Rain follow Axl :lol:

3 hours ago, koldweather said:

As others said, the youtube videos DON'T quite capture his voice, I'm wondering whether it maybe that the sound projects the treble more (which would make sense as that is where Axl's voice shines rather than bass) and most recording software accounts for higher trebles and adjusts the mix a touch when it comes out the other end. I notice with alot of older recordings/bootlegs they have a higher treble/less bass (especially in the 80s back). NONE of the recordings I've heard from London really have enough treble and its what I noticed live and it really helped somewhat 'mask' any weakness in his voice. Obviously it also has an impact on all the other instruments as well.

With that being said, listening to his voice, he did sound like he was struggling at times compared to previous shows on those cleaner notes, Coma was a real battle and he had to lower a few notes/cut them off in order to keep it going. Sure it was great there.

Yes, he's struggling on some songs, that's for sure.