06/22/17 - Hannover, DE - Messe

alfierose

56 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

Not quite back home yet, visiting my brother. The concert was great, but the most important thing: To all those suckers out there which complain about AC/DC songs I got two words for ya SUCK IT! It was just awesome, never imagined in my wildest dreams I'd see Axl/DC so soon, it was kinda unreal. I'm sooooo happy Angus was there and Axl, I love you for this! One of the best surprises ever! Will write more when I'm back home.

Glad you enjoyed it!

17 hours ago, lenni19 said:

Hey people, here is my review of the show :)

First of all we had a long drive to get to hannover, about 6h and 15m. When we arrived the floor in front of the stage was fucking packed with people. We found our places pretty fast and the show was about the beging, guns opend the show with easy after that we had brownstone and chinese. Slash was starting the hit the first notes for jungle, but than that, someone from the crew stept on stage and told us: becouse of the upcoming rain we need to stop the show for about 30min. So the band went off stage and the people watching the show were pretty fucking pisst, including me. So 5min later the rain was truly coming our way, most of the people were leaving there spot to get there asses in the hall to stay dry, but not me, i was outside the whole time becouse i had fear to lose my spot. So the rain was coming and i was compleatly lost in the rain, the rain were lasting for about 15 to 20min. I was frozing my ass off but fuck it, i was there to rock and not to complain. After nearly two houers guns restarted the show with wttj, it was awsome axl was screaming from the top of his lungs and so was i. Every song they played was just perfect, but what was i seeing there on stage, right it was angus fucking young he joind guns to play rosie and riff raff. When i heard the first notes fro  you could be mine i lost it, i know all the people here are complaining about axls voice on it, but not me. I was sreaming so loud and hard with axl i had the feeling of spiting blood. The show was absolutly rocking axl,duff,slash and the rest of the band were in great mood. Anotner one of my favorites was coma, never i  a milion years was i just hoping to here that song live but yesterday my dream was coming true and it was pure magic :) the show was super amazing i was singing along with every single song, so today i cant speak but fuck it that show that band was absolutly worth it :) after a long ass set list guns finaly played pc and what can i say, it was the perfect ending of an magical  night. 

After the concert ended we were just blown away, i cant wait to see them the next time :)

I hope you people had fun reading my review, anyways i wich you all a happy day :)

It's reading post like this that make me happy to be a GnR fan. The fact that regardless of what everyone's oppions are, people are still caught up in the magic of the band, the music and the atmosphere. Glad you enjoyed it!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lassie said:

Yes he gave it 100 procent in 2006 and 2010, but you know he can't do that every night, he has been hard with his voice back in the day, he must take it easy, or he can't sing much in 3 years, i think.

Just to be clear, when I was talking about him giving 100% in '06-'10 I was specifically talking about how being able to give 100% vocally completely changed the way he physically and mentally performed at the same time. In a nutshell 2010 Axl was Alpha male Axl with his clanking balls swinging around, gesturing,moving, running, making eye contact with the crowd, emoting etc more like 1992 Axl and with just a t-shirt and nothing on his head much of the time. In 2011-2014 you got the opposite with him hiding behind The Disguise. And anyone who replies to that with "He ran around a lot in 2014" hasn't watched enough shows and must be absolutely clueless as to what i'm pointing out. 

You say he can't sing that way every night or he wont be able to sing much in 3 years. With respect, why do people such as yourself say something that's so demonstrably untrue? The fact that he did it in 2006-2007 and 2009-10 proves that he can. He did that NINE years after people said his voice had eroded in 2001! Then he did it again last year for AC/DC at an even HIGHER level FIVE years after people said his voice was shot in 2011. Your opinion goes against every bit of information we have over the last 25 years of his career. 

You don't know that he can't do the same today and, frankly, everything above points to the strong likelihood that he could if he wanted to. Moreover, the fact that he's stated he would like to record and continue to tour with AC/DC suggests he himself believes he can sing hard every night in the future if he wants to. And that may very well be why he's holding back in Guns, as sad as it is for us that he's prioritizing the quality of his performances for AC/DC over Guns. 

He just sings a few songs like he is suppose to.Jungle,is so easy,Brownstone,chinese,Double talking and maybe Nightrain. My guess is.....if he said when he was performing with ACDC he wanted to play the songs like the records.....why he does not play Estranged,You could be mine,Civil war,coma, and many others like the record.Without that rasp voice sounds like bed songs to me..No danger,no emotion....

And for the people who said youtube dont capture and other things.I was at MAdrid show and i did realized of that awfull mickey mouse voice.Dont cheat people.

12 hours ago, koldweather said:

As others said, the youtube videos DON'T quite capture his voice, I'm wondering whether it maybe that the sound projects the treble more (which would make sense as that is where Axl's voice shines rather than bass) and most recording software accounts for higher trebles and adjusts the mix a touch when it comes out the other end. I notice with alot of older recordings/bootlegs they have a higher treble/less bass (especially in the 80s back). NONE of the recordings I've heard from London really have enough treble and its what I noticed live and it really helped somewhat 'mask' any weakness in his voice. Obviously it also has an impact on all the other instruments as well.

With that being said, listening to his voice, he did sound like he was struggling at times compared to previous shows on those cleaner notes, Coma was a real battle and he had to lower a few notes/cut them off in order to keep it going. Sure it was great there.

I know, the topic is old and boring to many (to me too), but now i experienced the same. I didnt touch my smartphone through the whole show, took no picture, no photos, just watched und listened to the show. (I had to drive, so it was just one beer for the whole evening, i really wanted to concentrate on the show as its the only guns concert this year, i can go to)

As i wrote in my review, "My Michelle" sounded phantastic to me, it was one of the highlights. Just watched a video (thanks fpr the video) from it and he just sounded average, not really bad,but a little thin, not raspy, not mickey...just "youtubish"...

Edited by Fele
  • Like 1

I was there, Front row in the beginning. Sorry but it was a worst concert. The voice was awful. I can compare because i saw Axl/DC in Leipzig 2016.  Axl's voice went through my mouth to the anus. It vibrated in my stomach in 2016 with his raspy voice.. but this gig was not good.

But anyways i saw Duff and Slash. Slash is the winner.

but with Axls bad performance, It's not worth 160 euros !!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

I was there, Front row in the beginning. Sorry but it was a worst concert. The voice was awful. I can compare because i saw Axl/DC in Leipzig 2016.  Axl's voice went through my mouth to the anus. It vibrated in my stomach in 2016 with his raspy voice.. but this gig was not good.

But anyways i saw Duff and Slash. Slash is the winner.

but with Axls bad performance, It's not worth 160 euros !!!

First of all: each to their own

I was there too and can't disagree more.

There were some difficulties like "Coma" but compared to old live recordings of the song it ain't like he nailed that bitch-to-sing in the 90s ;)

youtube clips can't transport the live experience at all and even different clips of the same song don't sound the same.

To sum it up:

the show was f'n great, the band was awsome (incl. Axl's voice) and even the 100 minutes break didn't cut the fun off.

I am truly sorry that you didn't enjoy the show as much as I and many others did

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MJ23 said:

There were some difficulties like "Coma" but compared to old live recordings of the song it ain't like he nailed that bitch-to-sing in the 90s ;)

youtube clips can't transport the live experience at all and even different clips of the same song don't sound the same.

To sum it up:

the show was f'n great, the band was awsome (incl. Axl's voice) and even the 100 minutes break didn't cut the fun off.

I am truly sorry that you didn't enjoy the show as much as I and many others did

What time did it finish?

Saw a bit of it when it re-started on youtube and looked great having it in the dark.  That was my only criticism in London really, it just doesn't have the same intensity in broad daylight

4 hours ago, MJ23 said:

To sum it up:

I saw Axl Rose with Ac/DC and i saw Axl Rose with GN'R..  The concert with AC/DC was awesome and the concert with GN'R was not awesome!! I did not mention any videos on YouTube. I even still not watched any YouTube Video about Hannover. I compare both gigs that i saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears. AC/DC was awesome and GN'R not.

Finally home again! You know that feeling when you open the door to your floor, thinking "my home, my castle" and then take seat on your couch with a sigh of relief? That's me. :D

So, my personal review. First of all I dare to say that we had the best supports of this leg, maybe followed closely by The Deftones. Unfortunately, I came a bit late for the beginning Phil and his sons (those security checks really took a while), but from all I could hear they did a nice job, played some own songs and of course also Motörhead song finishing with Ace of Spades (what else did you expect, a deep cut? :P). I really liked it, just had the impression that most people didn't even know who that Phil is, shame on all of them. :lol: If they play in my vicinity again, I'll go and watch them.

When Killing Joke entered the stage, I was surprised that they got a lot of positive resonance, didn't expect that, but even better. During their performance, the first people started to complain their face got touched by my hair, but hey, what did they expect, we were at a hair metal conert after all! The good thing always is, if you just do your thing, you get a decent amount of free space around you. :D It was a great gig, Jaz was as outspoken as usual and what counts for  Phil and sons obviously also counts for KJ, if they ever play near me....

Two great bands already and the rest was yet to come. I was right in front of the mixer at that time, not quite at the barrier but close enough, so pretty much a perfect spot. Finally GN'R entered the songs, they played 3 songs then the first few bars of Jungle and you all know what happened then by now. In retrospective, it was the best thing which could happen! Sure, the waiting time was a bit annoying but we were gifted with a really nice setlist, as far as I followed it pretty much the best setlist of this leg. We got both Novermber Rain and Don't Cry, we got Coma ( :D:D I read this thread :P ) and Civil War and we got Angus ( I covered this topic in my earlier post in this thread, nothing more to add).

The band sounded great overall, I like Richard's stage presence, he could even be a bit more of a frontman in my opinion, but no idea if he's allowed to do that, his windmill is definitely awesome! Have to say a bit about Frank, too, I like quite a bit of headbanging as you might have figured out and his drumming is really exact and on time, but always has some little gimmicks inbetween, a double bass here, a little snare there, really liked it. And before I forget the most important person on stage, let's turn our attention to.....Melissa! Yes, seriously, that girl is so fun to watch, headbanging and dancing over her keys, she's the ircarnation of what Rock'n'Roll is. There's so much energy around her, it's really impressive, probably one of the most underrated musicians ever.

Well, I decided to do a bit of hopping back and forth now since there's so much to say. I found that CD songs worked pretty well live, if the resonance is not so big, it's not because of the songs, but because of other reasons, they aren't big hits, not well-known by most of the audience and unfortunately many people only care about the hits.

Next hop, the covers! Seems to be a big topic. Personally, I really love when bands do covers live. I mean, unless they change their own songs a lot for live performances, you can always listen to them on album, covers are a thing where a band can really start to be creative and shine. I really tend to prefer a good cover over an original song (for above reasons), would have nothing against a pure cover tour by whichever band, I would find it really, really exting, you know, which songs are they going to cover, which style, will they keep the structure of a song or change it completey, that's interesting to me. Furthermore, covers are a trademark of quite some bands and you may even get to listen to them only live and never on any released media. Has that kind of exclusivity. ;)

Hopping back to the evening and two highlights (apart from Angus on stage of course). First one was Don't Cry. I hoped they'd play it but assumed the chance to be much less than 40% (little backgroound story: when I was young, I was at a holiday camp in Portugal, one of our camp songs was Don't Cry, the other one "Welch ein Tag" by Mario Jordan (ifit very well, too)  since we had equal vote two times. Don't Cry was always the second to last song of the evening, there are a lot of memories connected to it). You can imagine how happy I am I got to hear it live (and Angus, did I mention Angus? Okay, okay, I'm quiet...) My second highlight was Black Hole Sun! That exact same spot, 25 years ago, Soundgarden opening for Guns N' Roses. And then having the opportunity to pay tribute, I just cried my soul out, looking towards the sky, it was one of those moments when everything fits together, somehow a spiritual experience.

The only negative thing were the people around me, they were just standing there doing literally nothing, I don't get how one can't enjoy himself in such a setting, feels bad, man. I had a blast anyway. :D

After This I love I moved away from my spot, really had to drink something at that point and so I did, believe me, pure water is the best drink ever. ;) After that I went a bit away from the stage towards the back until I saw some people which had fun, 2 of them disguised as Axl and Slash, had a great time there, too, better be at the back surrounded people which can enjoy themselves than close to the stage and next to some statues. I went back towards the stage for the encore though and enjoyed the fireworks to end the show. Altogether, it was a great performance, really, really worth it!

So, as we like to say in Germany "Ich habe fertig!" (little joke)

However, there is one more thing to say, in all seriousness:

On 23.6.2017 at 1:12 PM, lenni19 said:

So the band went off stage and the people watching the show were pretty fucking pisst, including me. So 5min later the rain was truly coming our way, most of the people were leaving there spot to get there asses in the hall to stay dry, but not me, i was outside the whole time becouse i had fear to lose my spot. So the rain was coming and i was compleatly lost in the rain, the rain were lasting for about 15 to 20min. I was frozing my ass off but fuck it, i was there to rock and not to complain.

Don't do that! Really, a wide, open space, with some high metal structures, it's really, really , really dangerous iin a thunderstorm, no joke! Your spot is not worth your life, never ever! Don't do that!

Edited by Zurimor
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

I saw Axl Rose with Ac/DC and i saw Axl Rose with GN'R..  The concert with AC/DC was awesome and the concert with GN'R was not awesome!! I did not mention any videos on YouTube. I even still not watched any YouTube Video about Hannover. I compare both gigs that i saw with my own eyes and heard with my own ears. AC/DC was awesome and GN'R not.

To you. Considering the great amount of positive reviews and comments you seem to be in the minority. Not that you have to like what everybody else liked, you have your opinion and your reasons. But to many others including me and the people I talked to it was an extremely awesome gig. Definitely a special night!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zurimor said:

Finally home again! You know that feeling when you open the door to your floor, thinking "my home, my castle" and then take seat on your couch with a sigh of relief? That's me. :D

So, my personal review. First of all I dare to say that we had the best supports of this leg, maybe followed closely by The Deftones. Unfortunately, I came a bit late for the beginning Phil and his sons (those security checks really took a while), but from all I could hear they did a nice job, played some own songs and of course also Motörhead song finishing with Ace of Spades (what else did you expect, a deep cut? :P). I really liked it, just had the impression that most people didn't even know who that Phil is, shame on all of them. :lol: If they play in my vicinity again, I'll go and watch them.

When Killing Joke entered the stage, I was surprised that they got a lot of positive resonance, didn't expect that, but even better. During their performance, the first people started to complain their face got touched by my hair, but hey, what did they expect, we were at a hair metal conert after all! The good thing always is, if you just do your thing, you get a decent amount of free space around you. :D It was a great gig, Jaz was as outspoken as usual and what counts for  Phil and sons obviously also counts for KJ, if they ever play near me....

Two great bands already and the rest was yet to come. I was right in front of the mixer at that time, not quite at the barrier but close enough, so pretty much a perfect spot. Finally GN'R entered the songs, they played 3 songs then the first few bars of Jungle and you all know what happened then by now. In retrospective, it was the best thing which could happen! Sure, the waiting time was a bit annoying but we were gifted with a really nice setlist, as far as I followed it pretty much the best setlist of this leg. We got both Novermber Rain and Don't Cry, we got Coma ( :D:D I read this thread :P ) and Civil War and we got Angus ( I covered this topic in my earlier post in this thread, nothing more to add).

The band sounded great overall, I like Richard's stage presence, he could even be a bit more of a frontman in my opinion, but no idea if he's allowed to do that, his windmill is definitely awesome! Have to say a bit about Frank, too, I like quite a bit of headbanging as you might have figured out and his drumming is really exact and on time, but always has some little gimmicks inbetween, a double bass here, a little snare there, really liked it. And before I forget the most important person on stage, let's turn our attention to.....Melissa! Yes, seriously, that girl is so fun to watch, headbanging and dancing over her keys, she's the ircarnation of what Rock'n'Roll is. There's so much energy around her, it's really impressive, probably one of the most underrated musicians ever.

Well, I decided to do a bit of hopping back and forth now since there's so much to say. I found that CD songs worked pretty well live, if the resonance is not so big, it's not because of the songs, but because of other reasons, they aren't big hits, not well-known by most of the audience and unfortunately many people only care about the hits.

Next hop, the covers! Seems to be a big topic. Personally, I really love when bands do covers live. I mean, unless they change their own songs a lot for live performances, you can always listen to them on album, covers are a thing where a band can really start to be creative and shine. I really tend to prefer a good cover over an original song (for above reasons), would have nothing against a pure cover tour by whichever band, I would find it really, really exting, you know, which songs are they going to cover, which style, will they keep the structure of a song or change it completey, that's interesting to me. Furthermore, covers are a trademark of quite some bands and you may even get to listen to them only live and never on any released media. Has that kind of exclusivity. ;)

Hopping back to the evening and two highlights (apart from Angus on stage of course). First one was Don't Cry. I hoped they'd play it but assumed the chance to be much less than 40% (little backgroound story: when I was young, I was at a holiday camp in Portugal, one of our camp songs was Don't Cry, the other one "Welch ein Tag" by Mario Jordan (ifit very well, too)  since we had equal vote two times. Don't Cry was always the second to last song of the evening, there are a lot of memories connected to it). You can imagine how happy I am I got to hear it live (and Angus, did I mention Angus? Okay, okay, I'm quiet...) My second highlight was Black Hole Sun! That exact same spot, 25 years ago, Soundgarden opening for Guns N' Roses. And then having the opportunity to pay tribute, I just cried my soul out, looking towards the sky, it was one of those moments when everything fits together, somehow a spiritual experience.

The only negative thing were the people around me, they were just standing there doing literally nothing, I don't get how one can't enjoy himself in such a setting, feels bad, man. I had a blast anyway. :D

After This I love I moved away from my spot, really had to drink something at that point and so I did, believe me, pure water is the best drink ever. ;) After that I went a bit away from the stage towards the back until I saw some people which had fun, 2 of them disguised as Axl and Slash, had a great time there, too, better be at the back surrounded people which can enjoy themselves than close to the stage and next to some statues. I went back towards the stage for the encore though and enjoyed the fireworks to end the show. Altogether, it was a great performance, really, really worth it!

Don't do that! Really, a wide, open space, with some high metal structures, it's really, really , really dangerous iin a thunderstorm, no joke! Your spot is not worth your life, never ever! Don't do that!

You are right,i  was so angry at this "didnt wanna loose my spot" - people, blocking the exit...stupid, just stupid.

12 hours ago, Zurimor said:

Very interesting. It's awesome to see the different resonances a gig gets by different people. We both enjoyed the show for completely different reasons. It's like I couldn't disagree more with your post but still agree with the result after all. :lol:

Killing Joke for example, while better than The Kills, still not a good fit as opener for Guns. I'd like to have Wolfmother as support. That would be huge. 

I think Richard gets more than enough showtime, his windmill is just annoying if anything, as are his solo spots. I really enjoy his part on Wish You Were Here, at least until he starts to shred. He does a great job as rhythm guitarist and that's what he should narrow down to.

IMO a solo spot is enough. RQ, KOHD, WYWH, BHS is a bit too much for me.

Frank doesn't fit at all and I don't agree about him always on time. I think his drumming style is annoying and not good for these songs. He's out of rhythm at times. Less is definitely more in this case.

Now Melissa...:lol:

No, no she's not. There's nothing RNR about her. She's hot and she's okay as a background singer. I realized she did the heartbeeps on Coma, but other than that I don't know what she's doing. I'd rather have her as a dancer... like table dancer or something :P That would improve the show for sure in a positiv way.

I don't agree on the covers too. Everybody can do a cover. As an artist you're creative when you're able to write your own songs and GNR's own material is way better than their covers and definitely worth to be played during the shows. It's their own songs were they shine and that's how it should be for a band on this level. It's something else if there's a special guest like Angus and you're playing a song like WLR which has history with the band or KOHD which you made famous again, but all in all your own songs should be the highlights or you're simply not good enough ;)

Edited by Free Bird

Well, everyone is entiteled to have his own opinon. and every artists has his strengths and weaknesses. What appears to be a strength to one person even might be a weakness to anoither person and vice versa. I always liked to look at the whole stage, not just the "stars", in the past I focused on the drummer or the bassist and what he's doing for a whole show and pretty much ignored the singer or lead guitarist since I know what he does anyway, so not worth a closer look. People are different and that's good.

But I want to explain that covers thing.

I don't agree on the covers too. Everybody can do a cover. As an artist you're creative when you're able to writing your own songs and GNR's own material is way better than their covers and definitely worth to be played during the shows. It's their own songs were they shine and that's how it should be for a band on this level. It's something else if there's a special guest like Angus and you're playing a song like WLR which has history with the band or KOHD which you made famous again, but all in all your own songs should be the highlights or you're simply not good enough

To me covers are the most prestigious discipline. Whenever your hear a musician talk about making a cover, you'll often hear something like "It was really difficult to break free from the original. We did it over and over again and it still  sounded too close to it". I think it's much easier to create something from scratch, you can do whatever you feel like, and when it's sounds good to you, you can just says "ok, that's fine, sounds good". You don't have a comparison, that's different when doing a cover, you will compare it and even if you would've thought you made a great song if you did it from scratch, you might end up with something like "the original sounds still better..."  There's much more pressure on you, too, people which know the original might not like your version (and again, they might not like it just because it's a cover while they might have regarded it as a great song if it were a completely new song). I think it's really a challenge to find this balance between staying true to the original and adding your own flavour to it or even going a different way and make something completely new from it, hope my opinion got a bit clearer now. ;)

Edited by Zurimor