Openers for Europe/NA 2017

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that Alter Bridge will come to Europe this spring/summer (1 gig announced already, 26/06 Luxemburg). Don't you think it'd be great if they supported GNR? It might totally bury the hatchet between Slash Camp and Axl Camp. Imagine "Slither" with Myles as special guest. I know it's a long shot but I'd love to see that. :heart:

• Like 3

On 2016-12-08 at 11:45 AM, AFD5 said:

For European dates  the support band will be The Cult when the NITL Tour was announced Billy Duffy The Cults guitarist said he'd been told the were the support band for the European dates. I think they are an excellent choice as a support band. 

i hope they open for Guns in Sweden. saw the cult as opening act in San Diego. Great band =)

Sebastian Bach would be great, never seen him live so..

22 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

I take it there's been no announcements for the UK/Ireland shows?

I haven't seen anything yet, not even rumours. I'm not normally interested in opening bands, but seeing as I plan on being on the rail on the first London show, I'd like to know who I will be forced to listen to. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

It seems that Alter Bridge will come to Europe this spring/summer (1 gig announced already, 26/06 Luxemburg). Don't you think it'd be great if they supported GNR? It might totally bury the hatchet between Slash Camp and Axl Camp. Imagine "Slither" with Myles as special guest. I know it's a long shot but I'd love to see that. :heart:

They are already opening for Aerosmith in Spain. June 29. Hoping for a GN'R one as well.

11 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

2 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

They are already opening for Aerosmith in Spain. June 29. Hoping for a GN'R one as well.

Yes, I've been looking into acts that are in Europe at the time, especially since Belgium sees them headlining a one day festival, and we're still waiting on the other names. Alter Bridge is already doing Graspop Metal Meeting (Sat 17th of June) in Belgium a week before TW Classic, where GNR are headlining. So I think it's a safe bet they won't be back for another festival just one week later.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for Aerosmith to be announced for TW Classic, as they would be a perfect fit :)

11 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

bury the hatchet? what "hatchet"? do they hate each other or what?

But as an opening act sure why not =) I'm not a great fan over Myles voice (too whiny) but a couple of songs do no harm!

I know many may not agree with me but... SABATON? They are known for being fans of GNR and they have great management which got them some opening slots for Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. They have festival tour in europe this summer. I know they aren't really hard rock but again, so is not Metallica or Volbeat or A7X. I personally would really love to see them!

Edited by Jaaj38

5 minutes ago, Jaaj38 said:

I know many may not agree with me but... SABATON? They are known for being fans of GNR and they have great management which got them some opening slots for Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. They have festival tour in europe this summer. I know they aren't really hard rock but again, so is not Metallica or Volbeat or A7X. I personally would really love to see them!

I love Sabaton... And I would so love to see them opening for GNR but I don't think so.
They've just been to Germany on their own headlining tour which should be their last... So I don't think they're gonna be opening for GNR.

Just now, Rubicon said:

I love Sabaton... And I would so love to see them opening for GNR but I don't think so.
They've just been to Germany on their own headlining tour which should be their last... So I don't think they're gonna be opening for GNR.

Actually it's called "The Last Tour" just because they named the album "The Last Stand". They are still building a fanbase and their popularity is growing so they would not quit now. Also this is one of reasons I hope they'll be chosen for some dates, probably on those which are almost or fully sold out, maybe Poland or Sweden as they are really popular out there. 

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Ralphelmo said:

I personally dont wanna see or hear myles kennedy... hate his voice and his stage presence (he has none). 

Axl and slash are fine again. No need to involve any ex musicians of the original 5.

The only onvolvements I wanna see and hear are steven and izzy :heart:

20 minutes ago, Natty said:

I personally dont wanna see or hear myles kennedy... hate his voice and his stage presence (he has none). 

Axl and slash are fine again. No need to involve any ex musicians of the original 5.

The only onvolvements I wanna see and hear are steven and izzy :heart:

In Alter Bridge, he plays guitar and is always glued to the mic (being the singer), so it makes sense that he doesnt have much stage presence without a guitar, much like when Andrew Stockdale (who plays guitar onstage and sings) joined Slash on stage, he usually just stood there and moved around a bit, because they dont really know how to be a "front man" without a guitar in their hands.

And also, do you not want an opener? Many of their openers are "ex musicians" of Slash (Lenny Kravitz, Alice in Chains' Mike Inez was in Slashs Snakepit, Wolfmother's Andrew Stockdale played on Slashs album, Slash wrote a song that Lenny Kravitz used, and The Cult's Ian Astbury played on Slashs album

Edited by Mendez

Personally I'd love to see System of a Down open for Guns. They seem to be doing a few festivals in Europe during the beginning of the summer, and if I'm not mistaken they're working on releasing a new album soon. I doubt they'd agree to be openers since they're big enough to headline their own concert...but then again, Metallica got Avenged Sevenfold so I can dream! I think guns will need some big openers to help sell out a lot of these US/Canada shows.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind Alter Bridge. People like to make the Myles vs Axl comparisons, but considering ONLY his own material, I like Myles.

3 minutes ago, qwerty123 said:

Personally I'd love to see System of a Down open for Guns. They seem to be doing a few festivals in Europe during the beginning of the summer, and if I'm not mistaken they're working on releasing a new album soon. I doubt they'd agree to be openers since they're big enough to headline their own concert...but then again, Metallica got Avenged Sevenfold so I can dream! I think guns will need some big openers to help sell out a lot of these US/Canada shows.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind Alter Bridge. People like to make the Myles vs Axl comparisons, but considering ONLY his own material, I like Myles.

Even though Avenged Sevenfold is a big enough band, Im sure that most of the band looked up to Metallica at some point in their life, more than System of a Down looked up to Guns N Roses. Although Slash has met Daron from SOAD at one point, so there could be some friendliness there, but Axl "blamed" SOAD/their crew for GNRs lateness at Rock in Rio in 2011

6 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Even though Avenged Sevenfold is a big enough band, Im sure that most of the band looked up to Metallica at some point in their life, more than System of a Down looked up to Guns N Roses. Although Slash has met Daron from SOAD at one point, so there could be some friendliness there, but Axl "blamed" SOAD/their crew for GNRs lateness at Rock in Rio in 2011

Agh you're right, I totally forgot about the rock in rio thing! I'm pretty sure Slash performed with Shavo too at some point so I was putting my hopes into a mini-connection (but then again, Slash has worked with like, everybody). Anyways, money talks but SOAD are more of a dream opener for me than a realistic prediction, unfortunately :unsure: