07/12/17 - Nijmegen, NL - Goffertpark

alfierose

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

For the people that hate Angus Young:

GnR has played about 80 shows so far, and the guy has appeared in 6 of them for 2 songs, which (with the exception of one show in Australia, I think) didn't replace any of the songs in the regular set. The band played its full set plus these two songs.

It's okay if you don't like him (to each their own), but why do you make such a big deal out of it?

I don't hate Angus Young but I don't even know if I like a single AC/DC track. That kind of music isn't really my thing.

I think it's awesome when bands bring out high profile guests like that - it adds massive value to the shows, especially at the price range GnR is offering tickets at.

You have an unusual situation here though:

1. A band returning after a 23 year hiatus - perhaps even longer in some areas of europe. 

2. A band with very little original music. 

Fans are starved for Guns N' Roses. Normally a guest like Angus would be an awesome addition to any show. The problem I see here is that the setlist is bloated to the gills with cover songs and jams - so you throw on an extra 2-3 covers on top of a setlist that's easily 1/3 covers and you have a legitimate reason for griping from hardcore fans. That's not anything against Angus but rather these setlists.

There are many many fans of Don't Cry. That's the song that made me a fan and that's arguably my favorite GnR song. It's probably the biggest hit outside of November Rain and SCOM if we're going by youtube numbers. Yet, this song is played less than 50% of the time. For a person paying $2-300 on a nostalgia tour - not hearing one of the band's biggest hits will definitely be disappointing. Not hearing DC at my show was a disappointment. Especially since I don't care at all about The Seeker or a 10 minute version of KOHD and Rocket queen. These are simple fixes the band can make so they can bring in more cool guests to the shows and still keep hardcore fans happy. Just cut the bloat already. Tighten these shows up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RONIN said:

I don't hate Angus Young but I don't even know if I like a single AC/DC track. That kind of music isn't really my thing.

I think it's awesome when bands bring out high profile guests like that - it adds massive value to the shows, especially at the price range GnR is offering tickets at.

You have an unusual situation here though:

1. A band returning after a 23 year hiatus - perhaps even longer in some areas of europe. 

2. A band with very little original music. 

Fans are starved for Guns N' Roses. Normally a guest like Angus would be an awesome addition to any show. The problem I see here is that the setlist is bloated to the gills with cover songs and jams - so you throw on an extra 2-3 covers on top of a setlist that's easily 1/3 covers and you have a legitimate reason for griping from hardcore fans. That's not anything against Angus but rather these setlists.

There are many many fans of Don't Cry. That's the song that made me a fan and that's arguably my favorite GnR song. It's probably the biggest hit outside of November Rain and SCOM if we're going by youtube numbers. Yet, this song is played less than 50% of the time. For a person paying $2-300 on a nostalgia tour - not hearing one of the band's biggest hits will definitely be disappointing. Not hearing DC at my show was a disappointment. Especially since I don't care at all about The Seeker or a 10 minute version of KOHD and Rocket queen. These are simple fixes the band can make so they can bring in more cool guests to the shows and still keep hardcore fans happy. Just cut the bloat already. Tighten these shows up.

The overall point you (and other people) make about the amount of covers/instrumentals/long jams played is valid and I understand it (and more or less agree).

What I don't understand is why the complaining focuses on certain songs. I don't get the hate for The Seeker, for example. It's an up-tempo song, the band enjoys playing it (and they play it well) and it doesn't last more than 2 minutes.

As for AC/DC and Angus, I'm not a fan of their more popular period/songs either (ie. post 1980). But the Bon Scott era stuff consists mostly of blues/classic rock 'n' roll based hard rock songs (some of them with interesting lyrics) and GnR has a few songs of this kind too. Early AC/DC has been cited as one of the influences on Appetite and Whole Lotta Rosie was played in early days' shows. So, although I like GnR more than AC/DC (and Aerosmith), I don't understand how someone who likes Out Ta Get Me, for example, hates Riff Raff (not caring for it because it's another band's song is one thing and hating on it is another).

Edited by Blackstar
added
  • Like 2

Just back from this amazing show... Out ta get me AND my Michelle in the setlist! Used to love her still included AND the 2 AC/DC songs. Dream setlist. I think they played all songs of this whole tour except for dont cry.

This was the longest show they ever played in their entire career.

Crazy !!!

• Like 2

Longest yet?

Cool to see them tinkering, with Michelle in the encore, etc...
The encore is far stronger and unexpected than it was for 3-4 months !
"Also to all those that oppose (Angus) ? "You can...."
Axl, Slash, Duff, Angus, 3 and half hours...Vocal arguments aside, that's a HELL of

a show ! Wish London shows had got Angus or a surprise, I was sercretly hoping he'd show since it was the

same venue, but it's luck of the draw as always...

So happy for everyone who's (in particular) been at the last few shows

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

This guy has a bunch of videos:

What the hell is Melissa playing. Clearly the volume is off and she is just faking some Shit. Lol. So ridiculous.  Axl sounds good. Angus needs more gain, his tone is lacking and he seemed to be fighting the neck. Add some grease. 

1 hour ago, Drifter1158 said:

Just back from this amazing show... Out ta get me AND my Michelle in the setlist! Used to love her still included AND the 2 AC/DC songs. Dream setlist. I think they played all songs of this whole tour except for dont cry.

This was the longest show they ever played in their entire career.

Crazy !!!

No, GnR lonest show was in 2009 in Tokyo and I'm pretty sure The Forum show in 1991 was longer than this show, but not positive about that.