07/12/17 - Nijmegen, NL - Goffertpark

alfierose

50 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

ACDC was only good for creating "high energy rock n' roll" songs. Ok, but nothing more than this. Where is a song like Patience for example?

You miss the whole point. If it wasn't for their so-called "same old shtick", they would never have sold more records than U2, The Rolling Stones or Queen. That's what made them famous. So much energy that they upstaged everyone. You will never see AC/DC do a ballad.

It's sad to see GN'R fans saying that, or maybe I'm not even surprised because it's embarrassing.

Ride On is very similar to Patience.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tsinindy said:

No, the Tokyo show was 3:37 in length....Slash wasn't involved in that show, so maybe he is talking shows he's been involved in.   Or he's wrong.  Irregardless Tokyo show ran longer and there is IEM audio of Axl knowingly trying to break the record at that show.

Ok, i only counted the real guns n roses

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tsinindy said:

I gotta disagree with this a bit (surprise!).  While I agree Guns may not exist if there was no AC/DC.  They didn't create any genre.  Rock n roll, specifically hard rock was alive and thriving long before them.

3 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

So what? Most of their songs sound the same. GNR has a very small catalogue compared to ACDC, but it's much more versatile.

ACDC was only good for creating "high energy rock n' roll" songs. Ok, but nothing more than this. Where is a song like Patience for example?

But thats the thing with AC/DC. While most of the hard rock bands from late 70s were doin mellow prog psychodelic influenced stuff, AC/DC came out with the hungry, dirty and fast paced hard rock that would later be the main formula for GNR. 
All their songs sound a like? GREAT. If I want to listen to something different then I'll look for another band, they dont need a fuckin patience. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

Can you just imagine what would be said on the internet, if it existed in 1992, about the Paris Pay-Per-View nonetheless,

I do not want 100 year old Tyler and Perry turning up with their boring Aerosmith songs. I do not want to hear Lenny Kravitz and Slash's generic hard rock song. I come here for Guns N' Roses' songs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

I don't think so... It's pretty forgettable. As the 90% of their songs.

Of course they would never do a song like Hells Bells in a GNR show, but they could play at least You shook me for example.

It would have been a far better choice.

So what? Most of their songs sound the same. GNR has a very small catalogue compared to ACDC, but it's much more versatile.

There are the ballads:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WxzZHQHpuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEX2u5q7J7o

They don't have many, but they can do them. And if you ever bothered to listen through their whole catalogue, you would've noticed that their albums are quite different from era to era. Not to mention that Angus is a guitar genius.  Also, Riff Raff is pretty much an AC/DC classic and quite popular among fans.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

There are the ballads:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WxzZHQHpuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEX2u5q7J7o

They don't have many, but they can do them. And if you ever bothered to listen through their whole catalogue, you would've noticed that their albums are quite different from era to era. Not to mention that Angus is a guitar genius.  Also, Riff Raff is pretty much an AC/DC classic and quite popular among fans.

They hadn't played Riff Raff in about 30 years prior to Axl joining them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, default_ said:

But thats the thing with AC/DC. While most of the hard rock bands from late 70s were doin mellow prog psychodelic influenced stuff, AC/DC came out with the hungry, dirty and fast paced hard rock that would later be the main formula for GNR. 
All their songs sound a like? GREAT. If I want to listen to something different then I'll look for another band, they dont need a fuckin patience. 

LOL, sorry, but that just isn't true.  I'm not going to talk with someone who is delusional.   Im not trying to disrespect AC/DC or not give them their due, but you are over-inflating them quite extensively.  It's cool if you like them and they are a favorite, but you are giving them credit for a whole that just isn't accurate.  Have a good day :)

11 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

Acdc is no more metal than GNR.

Although AC/DC is not metal, it's more linked to this genre than GnR are (I'm referring mainly to the Brian Johnson era).

Every hardcore metal fan I've known likes Back In Black and stuff AC/DC did after that, but quite a few of them don't like Appetite (and even more the Illusions, needless to say). And AC/DC fans themselves, as far as other bands go, are more into metal bands like Iron Maiden than GnR. I think this says something.

Part of it has to do with the macho aspect, as well as with that AC/DC, compared to GnR, have been more about flawless technical playing than rawness, at least live.

It has also to do with the themes and imagery used, ie. the devil/hell related stuff. Back in the 80s AC/DC were among the objects of "metal is satanic" tales and stuff like playing vinyl records backwards to hear "secret messages" (of course today only Alan Niven believes this shit about AC/DC :P). GnR have the sculls etc, but this imagery is not limited to metal.

Edited by Blackstar
added
  • Like 1

Sorry to chime in both off topic and uninvited, but if I may regarding AC/DC:  their first six albums seem very close to a perfect body of work to me.  At most a handful of individual songs are misses and the albums are otherwise dense with quality; and there is significant variety including fun boogie dance numbers, hard driving mean rock songs, crowd pleasing anthems,  slow and introspective bluesy ballads, and some more uptempo wailing madman blues.  Following those albums, I will concede, they did gradually get less interesting.  But that is still six albums

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dcon said:

Sorry to chime in both off topic and uninvited, but if I may regarding AC/DC:  their first six albums seem very close to a perfect body of work to me.  At most a handful of individual songs are misses and the albums are otherwise dense with quality; and there is significant variety including fun boogie dance numbers, hard driving mean rock songs, crowd pleasing anthems,  slow and introspective bluesy ballads, and some more uptempo wailing madman blues.  Following those albums, I will concede, they did gradually get less interesting.  But that is still six albums

This chap said what I wanted to say.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dcon said:

Well said...the Bon albums are brilliant, especially Powerage! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, smoking guns said:

They hadn't played Riff Raff in about 30 years prior to Axl joining them. 

That's why it's a classic and an actual deepcut, it's awesome Angus plays it live. Poor people which can't appreciate this. ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

You miss the whole point. If it wasn't for their so-called "same old shtick", they would never have sold more records than U2, The Rolling Stones or Queen. That's what made them famous. So much energy that they upstaged everyone. You will never see AC/DC do a ballad.

It's sad to see GN'R fans saying that, or maybe I'm not even surprised because it's embarrassing.

Ride On is very similar to Patience.

I would be happy if GNR would have been less experimental, but that's just me.

ACDCs Love Song is very close to a ballad. I would say it is. Very unlikely guitar melodies for DC and Angus ;)

Well I watched them AcDC  twice in Belgrade anf in Vienna 2016 with Axl...

All I can say,they are amazing band,very powerfull live but I felt more energy on Guns show,and I think GNR had more hardcore fans (people who knows almost all songs) than ACDC...

Again I will said they are amazing and legendary band,but for me GNR are much much better band...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Although AC/DC is not metal, it's more linked to this genre than GnR are (I'm referring mainly to the Brian Johnson era).

Every hardcore metal fan I've known likes Back In Black and stuff AC/DC did after that, but quite a few of them don't like Appetite (and even more the Illusions, needless to say). And AC/DC fans themselves, as far as other bands go, are more into metal bands like Iron Maiden than GnR. I think this says something.

Part of it has to do with the macho aspect, as well as with that AC/DC, compared to GnR, have been more about flawless technical playing than rawness, at least live.

It has also to do with the themes and imagery used, ie. the devil/hell related stuff. Back in the 80s AC/DC were among the objects of "metal is satanic" tales and stuff like playing vinyl records backwards to hear "secret messages" (of course today only Alan Niven believes this shit about AC/DC :P). GnR have the sculls etc, but this imagery is not limited to metal.

To me both bands are Metal bands. Hard rock is part of it. Appetite for destruction is considered as one of the best Metal albums. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/readers-poll-the-greatest-heavy-metal-albums-of-all-time-20120919/7-guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-34-229

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-top-spin-s-all-time-greatest-metal-album-list/

http://www.metalinjection.net/video/2-gun-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-top-10-debut-albums-in-metal