The 'What are you doing tonight' discussion

Just a urchin

15 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yes, i have tons of them from my grandmother too! i am reading one now ( not a Harlequin just a Christmas book ) by Susan Wiggs. it's pretty good!

Sounds like your, mine, and MB's grandmothers were what would be the modern day equivalents of the Fifty Shades readers LOL

Just now, Whiskey Rose said:

Sounds like your, mine, and MB's grandmothers were what would be the modern day equivalents of the Fifty Shades readers LOL

lol but those Harlequin Ones were so tame. Harlequin Presents ( the longer, white covered ones, not 100% sure that was what they were called ) were a bit racier ;)  i got a hold of some novels my mom was reading and i was shocked! i mean i was like 9 or 10 and could not believe what i was reading :lol:

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

lol but those Harlequin Ones were so tame. Harlequin Presents ( the longer, white covered ones, not 100% sure that was what they were called ) were a bit racier ;)  i got a hold of some novels my mom was reading and i was shocked! i mean i was like 9 or 10 and could not believe what i was reading :lol:

Well I don't know which ones I was reading, but I do remember a lot of women being pushed up against the wall and "throbbing members" haha.

• Like 1

Well I don't know which ones I was reading, but I do remember a lot of women being pushed up against the wall and "throbbing members" haha.

that has to be the racier ones lol! the other ones they never went beyond kissing if memory serves. i still have a bunch of them, i don't ever really read them, just can't bring myself to get rid of them.

On 9 december 2016 at 2:09 AM, Whiskey Rose said:

Lol, yeah kind of. :lol:

Btw, I absolutaly hate the Fifty shades of grey series. I couldn't believe the hype. My friends all read that serie and all loved it, meanwhile laughing about my Kenyon addiction<_<. At least there is an actual story in Kenyon's book, but you can't compare it anyway. So annoying, lol. Well I am trying to read Keyon's Styxx at the moment, it's over 800 pages, kind of hard for me to do, lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MB. said:

Lol, yeah kind of. :lol:

Btw, I absolutaly hate the Fifty shades of grey series. I couldn't believe the hype. My friends all read that serie and all loved it, meanwhile laughing about my Kenyon addiction<_<. At least there is an actual story in Kenyon's book, but you can't compare it anyway. So annoying, lol. Well I am trying to read Keyon's Styxx at the moment, it's over 800 pages, kind of hard for me to do, lol.

Its a worrying trend that a lot of popular fiction thats aimed at ladies (or girls rather) is actually horrendously poorly written.  And i dont just mean i dont like it, its actually poor examples of English language fiction.

Sylvia Plath, where are you, your gender needs you back!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MB. said:

Not only the ones aimed at women Len. But many fiction in general. 

I have still a few Barbara Cartland's of my grandmother somewhere, now that's english language, haha:lol:

True and I suppose a lot of what im talking about is bottom of the barrel stuff but if you look at something like Twilight or 50 Shades they are actually disgracefully poorly written, I mean they are really like...amateurish literature.  Compare that with what ladies like Zadie Smith are writing and it really isn't a good comment on where we're at in terms of our literary predilictions.

And Barbara Cartland was a Goddess damn you :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

Michael, the manly gardener, strode manfully across the bedroom, his manly member throbbing manfully. Slowly, and with much manliness, he lifted Sadie onto the bed, her bottom wobbling in a womanly fashion.

"Oh Michael!" Sadie said, biting her lip. "Take me, most manfully, and with much thrusting. I need your throbbing man member inside my lady pouch"

Michael yanked her knickers down as if on command, revealing her womanly glory. He didn't need to be told twice.

TO BE CONTINUED...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

True and I suppose a lot of what im talking about is bottom of the barrel stuff but if you look at something like Twilight or 50 Shades they are actually disgracefully poorly written, I mean they are really like...amateurish literature.  Compare that with what ladies like Zadie Smith are writing and it really isn't a good comment on where we're at in terms of our literary predilictions.

when i was in high school i had a sadistic English teacher who forced us to read Jane Austen. i was ( and am ) an avid reader but i did not like Jane Austen and in the required book report i made that clear. fast forward to watching some of the movies based on her books; Clueless, Sense and Sensibility, Emma ( the book Clueless was based on ) and i loved these! i thought wow what a cool chick so i read a couple of her books and really enjoyed them. with age comes wisdom i guess :)

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

when i was in high school i had a sadistic English teacher who forced us to read Jane Austen. i was ( and am ) an avid reader but i did not like Jane Austen and in the required book report i made that clear. fast forward to watching some of the movies based on her books; Clueless, Sense and Sensibility, Emma ( the book Clueless was based on ) and i loved these! i thought wow what a cool chick so i read a couple of her books and really enjoyed them. with age comes wisdom i guess :)

My sister insisted loved Jane Austen so i was well versed in her stuff even before secondary school.

40 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Michael, the manly gardener, strode manfully across the bedroom, his manly member throbbing manfully. Slowly, and with much manliness, he lifted Sadie onto the bed, her bottom wobbling in a womanly fashion.

"Oh Michael!" Sadie said, biting her lip. "Take me, most manfully, and with much thrusting. I need your throbbing man member inside my lady pouch"

Michael yanked her knickers down as if on command, revealing her womanly glory. He didn't need to be told twice.

TO BE CONTINUED...

*gets vaseline and kleenex*

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

TO BE CONTINUED...

more more more!!! :lol:

48 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Slowly, and with much manliness

:lol:   So you are obviously a Harlequin writer, what's your pseudonym?

And yes, @MB. and @Len Cnut Fifty Shades was horribly written. Horribly written! Embarrassingly so. Not gonna say I didn't read the whole thing, cause I did lol, but if I ever hear the term "inner goddess" again I may go postal.

17 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

You know, I guess I never got wise b/c another critically acclaimed book on the regular high school curriculum is Wuthering Heights...and I Hated it!!! I couldn't understand why we were being taught that Heathcliffe was the epitome of the romantic hero..what??!! He was a moody mutherf*cker who imprisoned a woman who he "supposedly" loved..Give me a break..no wonder there are so many women who are drawn to and stay with abusive men if this is what they are teaching us is the norm. I have no fondness for this book at all.

• Like 1

You know, I guess I never got wise b/c another critically acclaimed book on the regular high school curriculum is Wuthering Heights...and I Hated it!!! I couldn't understand why we were being taught that Heathcliffe was the epitome of the romantic hero..what??!! He was a moody mutherf*cker who imprisoned a woman who he "supposedly" loved..Give me a break..no wonder there are so many women who are drawn to and stay with abusive men if this is what they are teaching us is the norm. I have no fondness for this book at all.

OMG i hated it too! NOT romantic. and i was forced to watch one of the movie versions because my BFF adores the book and movie and i thought it sucked as well!

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

OMG i hated it too! NOT romantic. and i was forced to watch one of the movie versions because my BFF adores the book and movie and i thought it sucked as well!

Oh thank God. But where were you when I was getting skewered in my high school class bc I was the only one who thought this way? :max: :lol:

I never watched the 50 shades movie, cause the book sucked enough for me. 

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

She was!  Don't get me wrong, I love Barbara Cartland. :heart: She was adorable and so funny. Not her books, but her persona. Not many people nowadays like her, people are so plain and adjusted nowadays.

ok seems like we've gone a bit off topic so to bring us back i will say what i am doing tonight :lol: i was going to go to see the Christmas lights that i bailed on last night but it is raining now and will probably turn to snow tonight and i don't do nighttime snow driving. so, i am going to watch either White Christmas or Love Actually and have my first eggnog of the season ( non-alcoholic, i have tried for years to like the spiked kind but i just really prefer the taste of non-spiked. ) exciting right? :D