Does the public still hate Axl?

19 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

It is a sport going after "Axel" on alot of public places.  I say "Axel" because the negative comments I have seen always name him that way lol

I've noticed that too, must not know much about him if they don't know how to spell his name correctly :facepalm:

I would say he still has a negative public opinion of him but this past year has been a huge improvement and may have even changed a few minds.  I saw 2 shows during the tour and one AC/DC show and heard nothing but positive comments regarding axl.  People were even talking about how great he sounded while taking a leak in the bathrooms.  This along with the fact that he actually spoke to the audience and joked a bit made him much more relatable and likable.  I don't think he ever will be liked by most mainstream people or media but I think he has earned the respect of a lot of people.  Hopefully things keep moving forward smoothly and maybe some new music comes out of this.  If that happens his orverall PR image will greatly improve

Edited by yourcrazy

4 hours ago, MB. said:

I actually warned people a couple of times to be on time. 

I remember in 2011 getting an email from mojo to warn us, Axl might be late:lol:. They should send out an email again to people to be on time.

In San Francisco he was on the dot. 8:00 sharp and many people were still buying beers and not expecting to already hear It's so Easy lol! 

1 hour ago, gunsguy said:

It is a sport going after "Axel" on alot of public places.  I say "Axel" because the negative comments I have seen always name him that way lol

I notice that too and it drives me crazy...they must do that on purpose?! They love to rile some of us up.

I don't think the public are that bothered one way or the other i think.  Just like with anybody, media sensationalise celebrity and make it out to be the centre of the universe and I suppose to a few it is but your average man on the street couldn't give a monkeys.  Rock musicians are really not that important as members of society go.

He'll always be the villain and justifiably so. The whole Chinese Democracy saga is really weird. It'll be the sad part in the GNR movie just before everything starts to get better again!

His performances have been wonderful, though. He's still the best when he actually tries.

Edited by Kickingthehabit

4 hours ago, Scumcat Esq. said:

But he delivers. And that's all that matters.

That's debatable :lol:. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't... He hasn't delivered much by way of new music over the last 20 years, certainly much less than he promised. 

I think he's the greatest entertainer I've ever seen, but I can see why even some people who want him to succeed have been frustrated with him. 

I'm still terribly disappointed in him for letting the CD line-up disintegrate without realising its potential and compromising on his principles of so many years to do this 'reunion' thing, but I'm glad his voice is still as good as it ever was. He's one of the last great rock stars.

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Hopefully you're not using internet comment sections as your source because the internet hates everything :lol:

Fair enough:P Mostly internet, but I've also had a few friends earlier this summer assume negative shit about him when there weren't any major issues during the initial run in April.  

• Like 1

I have no idea and to be honest after 15 years of these kinds of discussions I can't really be bothered to think too much about it anymore. I will say this though, when I mentioned to my friends that Guns N Roses would be playing Edmonton and Vancouver next summer and reassured them that the shows I saw in Vegas and all the GnR shows so far have gotten rave reviews not to mention Axl kicked ass with AC/DC, which I can also vouche for as I saw it in person, I was met with pretty much a unanimous answer of "Axl isn't getting anymore of my money".  So although a LOT of people will go to see them I think there is still a lot of hate out there for Axl. Hate might be a strong word, maybe lack of respect is a better way to put it. I think GnR needs to put out a new album that kicks ass and involves Slash for Axl to truly regain the respect of the public. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

To ignorant people, yes

I don't think it's ignorant people. I think it's people who just got sick of his shit show and how he's ruined the band. Then you've got the semi reunion that seems as if it will never end so...... what is there really for casual fans to love about Axl? Nothing. CD sucked in the opinion of most and Axl until this last year has been so hit and miss live, his horrid performances live on on youtube for all to see and now it's just a nostalgia tour with no new album in sight. Really there isn't much for fans to love or respect about Axl. It's hard to erase 18-20 years of fuckery with some good performances in 2016.  Put out a new album and that would be a start I suppose, but it's not just ignorant people who feel this way. To think that is just living in the GnR  bubble. 

• Like 1

The generalizations/misconceptions/caricatures/half-truths still predominately follow him.

Unfortunately, the "Fat Axl" meme debacle only reinforces these negative stereotypes behind his person.

It doesn't help endear himself in this new celebrity culture pathos where you join in with the people laughing at you.

19 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

It's amazing to me how ignorant people still are about Axl/Guns.

Too many examples, but I've come across so many people that still have an impression that Axl is coming on late and leaving halfway through the show.

Like I said man it's hard to erase 18-20 years of fuckery not to mention how he was at the height of his career. Aside from this short window between April -December 2016 there isn't much he's given the general public to be excited about. Axl's most high profile tour since Slash left(aside from this one) was in 2002 and that's what people remember. He refuses to do press, they have no album to promote so there's really nothing for the general public to rally around. You can't expect average Joe's to know or even care. They don't follow GnR the way we do so how would they know? A new album is the only way for GnR to really crawl back into the conscience of the general public and until then xl's reputation will precede him. That;s just a fact. 

35 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Why was my comment deleted? Was the sarcasm not obvious enough or something?

To me it was, to others maybe not?  It would have been better had you said this is the type of thing I see from comments out there or something.  If you want a copy of your post to try again please PM me ;)

3 hours ago, Bono said:

Like I said man it's hard to erase 18-20 years of fuckery not to mention how he was at the height of his career. Aside from this short window between April -December 2016 there isn't much he's given the general public to be excited about. Axl's most high profile tour since Slash left(aside from this one) was in 2002 and that's what people remember. He refuses to do press, they have no album to promote so there's really nothing for the general public to rally around. You can't expect average Joe's to know or even care. They don't follow GnR the way we do so how would they know? A new album is the only way for GnR to really crawl back into the conscience of the general public and until then xl's reputation will precede him. That;s just a fact. 

People are just ignorant in general. It's the same people that think Vertigo is the last song U2 came out with :shrugs: