The Evolution Debate

Dazey

8 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Save your gibes. 

I am generally a liberal and have observed that liberals have a superiority complex and are prone to the same black and white thinking and tribalism as the conservatives they love to hate. 

So counter argument: liberals have largely ignored basic biology and emerging scientific studies on gender dating back to the 1970s. As a related aside, science has been used as a tool to advance ideology throughout history and modern times nor liberals are immune. 

A specific example are the studies of John Money at John Hopkins which were flawed but used to promote a tabula rasa theory of gender, i.e. that it was entirely socially constructed concept and biology had no influence on the matter. He did some good things too but also some very questionable and unethical things as well. 

As I've said, the PC police crap is the worst side of liberalism.  But it doesn't outweigh the planetary destruction agenda of the right.

To me it's just mindblowing to see that there are people not 'believing' in evolution or climate change. It's interesting to see some people don't and their motivation.

In my country even the strong religious school, where I went to myself, teach evolution. They had an awesome explenation though: Adam snd Eve where the first 'real' humans?. Anyway conservatives, liberals we all believe in evolution and climate change, not much of a debate here. Well ok, maybe a few hardcore christians might not, but not many. And almost everybody is sure about climate change, certainly in my country, where the water gets higher and higher. We are beneath sea level, so we are keeping a close eye on it. 

I also would like to mention that you can't generalise conservatives and their ideas, that's a bit silly. There are multiple reasons people vote conservative, so they can't think all the same. Same goes for liberals. Besides I would like to mention there are more countries than the US, cause like I said our conservatives do believe in evolution. Getting a bit tired of seeing US politics brought up in so many threads.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MB. said:

To me it's just mindblowing to see that there are people not 'believing' in evolution or climate change. It's interesting to see some people don't and their motivation.

In my country even the strong religious school, where I went to myself, teach evolution. They had an awesome explenation though: Adam snd Eve where the first 'real' humans?. Anyway conservatives, liberals we all believe in evolution and climate change, not much of a debate here. Well ok, maybe a few hardcore christians might not, but not many. And almost everybody is sure about climate change, certainly in my country, where the water gets higher and higher. We are beneath sea level, so we are keeping a close eye on it. 

I also would like to mention that you can't generalise conservatives and their ideas, that's a bit silly. There are multiple reasons people vote conservative, so they can't think all the same. Same goes for liberals. Besides I would like to mention there are more countries than the US, cause like I said our conservatives do believe in evolution. Getting a bit tired of seeing US politics brought up in so many threads.

There are many reasons people claim to vote conservative in the US, but the fact remains no matter your motivation, if you vote conservative, you are supporting environmental destruction.

Just like there were many reasons people voted for trump.  They weren't all racist.  But if you voted for trump, you were either willingly or inadvertently supporting racism.

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

The bottom-line is even if climate change weren't real, we should strive for a clean, healthy and efficient civilization anyway. The debate about it being real or not is inherently misguided and stupid.

Not as stupid as appointing a climate change denier to head the EPA like trump just did.

Might as well appoint El Chapo to head the DEA.

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Well, he's a baboon so I'm not surprised at all.

That being said though I despise the left even more than the right. The reason's to hate the right are nice and obvious, the reasons to hate the left are more menacing and hide behind the pretenses of what are supposed to be noble ideals and causes. They are now the same, they are both shit. 

I'd love to hear why you hate the left.  I hate them because they sold out to the same billionaires and bankers than republicans did.  And they go overboard with PC police crap.

But the right doesn't give a crap about the planet.  At least not if it interferes with making money.  That will kill us all. 

The left might suck, but their policies aren't going to ruin the entire planet like republicans.

26 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You pretty much said it, basically the left are pretentious sellouts and hypocrites. Political correctness is cancer to the human mind and will likely lead to very damaging policies.

Sorry but political correctness, drone strikes, NOTHING will lead to as much damage as disregard for the planet.

Policies can change, the pendulum can swing back and forth, but environmental damage is in many cases permanent and irreversible.

So you can choose the drone strike president who wants to preserve the planet, or the other drone strike president who thinks making money is more important than preserving the planet.  

Trump said our approach to terrorism should be to "kill their families".  How'd you feel about that?

I never understood how people could use religion (and I'm speaking specifically Christianity) to try and say evolution isn't real; I attended Roman Catholic schools until I was 18 and evolution was always a key part of the curriculum. I don't think anyone with sense, religious or not, actually believes that evolution isn't 'real'.

15 minutes ago, toroymoi said:

I never understood how people could use religion (and I'm speaking specifically Christianity) to try and say evolution isn't real; I attended Roman Catholic schools until I was 18 and evolution was always a key part of the curriculum. I don't think anyone with sense, religious or not, actually believes that evolution isn't 'real'.

It's unbelievable I know, but just read this thread and you'll see many conservative americans passionately argue against human evolution from lesser life forms.

Brainwashing is powerful, especially if its begun at a young age.  Asking them to open their minds and learn feels to them like you're attacking their families and churches who taught them the lies.

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

In real life, walk up to the broken families whose children and loved ones have been murdered and tell them that.

It's not about tit-for-tat. Bad things are bad. I'm not convinced he really wants to preserve the planet. The United States is one of the biggest polluters in the world if not the biggest and has completely failed to make ANY meaningful change to combat climate change.

I feel sad and angry about that. About all of it.

I say this in jest but at least Trump admits he wants to kill them

Obama has done more for the environment than any modern president. He could have done a lot more if it weren't for the oil-owned republicans stopping him.

You can say both parties suck and you'd be right.  But it's still your responsibility to vote for the one that sucks a little less.

1 minute ago, slipnslider said:

Obama has done more for the environment than any modern president. He could have done a lot more if it weren't for the oil-owned republicans stopping him.

You can say both parties suck and you'd be right.  But it's still your responsibility to vote for the one that sucks a little less.

Did you vote for the Greens?

1 minute ago, PappyTron said:

Did you vote for the Greens?

Yes.  Not because I thought they could win, but because I wanted to send a message to the democrats that they need to stop selling out to evil corporate interests.

If I lived in a swing state, I would have voted for Hillary, because trump is an unqualified monster, and his presidency will be an unparalleled disaster for the country.

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

What has he done?

P.S. I'm not American so don't get to vote. I would have voted for Sanders as unrealistic as his aspirations were but between Hillary and Trump I honestly rooted for Trump. He's easier to laugh at so that's nice. Hillary would be more damaging.

He's appointed a climate change denier to head the EPA for starters.  That means more pollution, more climate change, and the death of many more species possibly including ours.

I voted for Sanders too in the primary.  He was the only politician to actually know the proper solutions to our problems.  But americans are generally too stupid to see it.

10 minutes ago, slipnslider said:

Yes.  Not because I thought they could win, but because I wanted to send a message to the democrats that they need to stop selling out to evil corporate interests.

If I lived in a swing state, I would have voted for Hillary, because trump is an unqualified monster, and his presidency will be an unparalleled disaster for the country.

Good. To be honest I can't stand either Trump or Hillary so wouldn't vote for either of them, no matter what. I wish that more people used their ability to make protest votes and to make it clear on their ballot papers why.

35 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You said "Obama has done more for the environment than any other modern President."

What has he done? The bar is pretty low isn't it.

The bar is very low.  But I'd vote for him again if he ran again based purely on his environmental record.  Unless he ran against someone who I thought would be better like Sanders.

Here's obama's record on the environment:

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/stories/things-obama-has-done-environment

7 hours ago, slipnslider said:

Just like there were many reasons people voted for trump.  They weren't all racist.  But if you voted for trump, you were either willingly or inadvertently supporting racism.

Diversity is our strength, right? :jerkoff: 

4 hours ago, slipnslider said:

The bar is very low.  But I'd vote for him again if he ran again based purely on his environmental record. 

Of course you would, because you're out to "save the planet". :jerkoff:

18 hours ago, slipnslider said:

It's unbelievable I know, but just read this thread and you'll see many conservative americans passionately argue against human evolution from lesser life forms.

Brainwashing is powerful, especially if its begun at a young age.  Asking them to open their minds and learn feels to them like you're attacking their families and churches who taught them the lies.

Yeah, it's really shocking to see people argue against evolution. I suppose you would want to believe it isn't true if it goes against your beliefs that humans are natures superior or whatever. I'm sure there's a crossover between those who don't agree with evolution, and those who think they're tough because they shoot an animal from however many feet away.

I just can't relate to a lack of desire to learn or gain knowledge, it's an alien concept to me.