Was there even room for another GN'R album in the 90s after the Illiusions?

52 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

lol.

40,000 people.

He's not wrong. Only maybe 2-3 surviving grunge era bands can pack stadiums in 2016.  Pearl Jam & Foo Fighters come to mind.  Not many others. I suppose if Kurt didn't eat a shotgun they'd still be popular the same way PJ are.

The fact was, after the Use Your Illusion albums, the tour, and The Spaghetti Incident, the market had been saturated. The Spaghetti Incident suffered a massive drop in sales (even factoring in the fact that it was a covers album), so I think that - even if the 1993 lineup stayed in-tact - taking off a few years would have benefited the band and the public; not unlike how Metallica laid low after touring The Black Album before coming back with Load in 1996. 

Looking back, even though it became somewhat fashionable to talk trash about Guns n' Roses in the mid through late 1990s, the fact remains that the public and music industry were interested to hear what Guns n' Roses released next. If it had been released in -let's say 1999-2000 - I do not think it would have reached the heights of Appetite for Destruction or the Use Your Illusion albums, but it would have been an "event" album. Hell, there was hype for it in 2006/2007. Unfortunately, the late 2008 release was a classic case of too little too soon. But we have discussed that to death. 

10 hours ago, maynard said:

There's always room for good music. I laugh at thouse who have little faith in the band and say things like grunge killed GNR, epic videos made them look like a joke, etc. Velvet Revolver and Audioslave managed to sell lots of records during the nu metal era. GNR would do just fine IMO. Axl wanted to go electronic and killed the band. It was not grunge, not the 90s, not the drugs, it was Axl.

yeah by all we know it is fair to say that it was likely axl that killed the band -- its pretty obvious reading all the stories, interviews etc

but the bloated videos (the only epic thing about them was the money spent on them) did make them look like a joke indeed

at least to people that knew and loved GNR pre-illusion-era

those bloated crap waste-money videos were all part of axl nonsense

yeah, and probably no one can deny that those same crap videos brought millions of new fans to the band, specially teenage girls

talkin about that, i cant forget what happened on one 1992 show. During novembe rain, there seemed to be 18 milions girls singing (and screaming and crying) november rain when the band played it.

the very same girls didnt make a noise during double talkin jive

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

& how many 80's glam metal can? lol

Well...right now, only one "grunge" band, though Pearl Jam quit being grunge long ago....

And no 80's glam metal bands, Guns aren't glam metal or hair metal, never were really.  

23 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Well...right now, only one "grunge" band, though Pearl Jam quit being grunge long ago....

And no 80's glam metal bands, Guns aren't glam metal or hair metal, never were really.  

Not saying Guns is.

People were saying grunge "killed", so I automatically assume they are talking about all that glam shit.

But like you said, Guns killed it years before.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

We'll never know because the change of the season got to Axl and made him seek a new direction for GN'R. I have always thought that they were so popular initially for the exact reason that they were not doing what everyone else was, I am of the opinion that they could have put out a quality album, somewhere between the styles and ambitions of AFD and UYI to a good reception in 95/96; hypothetically (if they could agree on material etc). Saying "fuck what everyone else is doing, here's a Guns album" would have been the most Guns N'Roses thing to do IMO!

Honestly, I loved that Axl wanted to branch out their sound a little. If they dropped another cock rock album in the mid 90s or another bloated UYI-style record it would've probably been a commercial and artistic failure, imo. 

3 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

The fact was, after the Use Your Illusion albums, the tour, and The Spaghetti Incident, the market had been saturated. The Spaghetti Incident suffered a massive drop in sales (even factoring in the fact that it was a covers album), so I think that - even if the 1993 lineup stayed in-tact - taking off a few years would have benefited the band and the public; not unlike how Metallica laid low after touring The Black Album before coming back with Load in 1996. 

Looking back, even though it became somewhat fashionable to talk trash about Guns n' Roses in the mid through late 1990s, the fact remains that the public and music industry were interested to hear what Guns n' Roses released next. If it had been released in -let's say 1999-2000 - I do not think it would have reached the heights of Appetite for Destruction or the Use Your Illusion albums, but it would have been an "event" album. Hell, there was hype for it in 2006/2007. Unfortunately, the late 2008 release was a classic case of too little too soon. But we have discussed that to death. 

What magazine was it in about 98-99 that ran the cover "What the world needs now is Axl Rose" or words to that effect?, seemed  the rock world was sick of trends and whatnot at that point and was wanting to hear what Axl was doing on his own. Can only imagine the anticipation if the whole band was still together.

yes fuckwits 

coma and songs like locomotive was the direction that gnr should have kept going for 

progressive pathways to over the top sensationalist music and rock as one - gnr were very adaptable to different kinds of music, i find the topic to be absurd considering the different sounds gnr projected IMO they could've produced the following types of albums in quick succession : country rolling stones type album, rock + rap à la GNR/Public Enemy, GNR does RAGGAE (no joke would've been awesome) and finally some sort of ode to abbey road or elton john but NEVER CD NEVER NEVER NEVER that was really Axl hanging at his house brainstorming tunes with no creativity 

Yes - like a few people have said. There is always a time for albums from any rock band. Especially the cream of the crop like GnR.

It's a scar on rock music history that GnR has only released one album of original material in the last 25 years. It's a shame.

Always have to laugh at people who dismiss entire genres of music simply because it isn't their personal favorite or preference. The music world would be pretty boring if there wasn't a wide variety of different types of music for people to enjoy. An entire genre of music sucks? No. You just don't like that type of music as much as other people do.

GnR and Grunge didn't kill off the hair metal era. Music has ALWAYS run in cycles, and that genre just ran its course. An over-saturation of copycat clones did more damage to the hair band era than GnR or Grunge. Also teens and the early 20s crowd grew up and moved onto more mature music. This isn't a hair band thing, it's how music has always worked. Metal, grunge, pop, hair metal, doom, nu metal, hip hop, gangsta rap, boy bands, etc.  They all have their popular cycles and then get pushed out by the next new wave of popular music.

Hair metal was still very popular in 1992. Mr. Big - for pete's sakes - had a number one billboard song in 1992. Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Great White, Skid Row, Slaughter,  LA Guns - all the major bands from that era put out albums. Same thing in 1993 and 1994. Bands/artists like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Guns n Roses, Poison, Vince Neil, Skid Row, Warrant, etc were still churning out albums and doing successful tours.  1995 is really the first year that fans of that genre could sit back and say "I think we're done. It's over." Bon Jovi released their best album in 1995, and era stalwarts like Skid Row, Bullet Boys, Tesla, Lita Ford, Warrant, Enuff Z'Nuff and a few others released albums - but the hair metal "sound" had been played out and audiences weren't really interested. The next generation of teens wanted to smoke pot and drink and complain about "the man" and how mean their parents were and how unfair the world was. Hair Metal was about having fun, chicks with big hair and mass cleavage, cocaine and excess. I'll take a night with Bobbie Brown drinking Jack over a night doing heroin with Courtney Love....but that's just me. To each their own. If you think Grunge was more "bad ass" then other genres of music....more power to ya!!!!

What year did the hair metal era officially "die" in terms of music relevance? 1995 is your answer.   It was absolutely huge in 1991, then each year became a little less popular. By 1995, the era was out of the mainstream. Also, isn't 1995 about the same time that Grunge started it's big decline as well? Going from being the gritty garage flannel wearing grunge of PJ/Nirvana/Soundgarden and the likes to a more soft and pop-influenced version?

Any role GnR and Grunge had ultimately didn't produce a positive effect. Grunge only last a few years and virtually none of the bands had staying power.  A Pearl Jam album and tour might do well today. But Bon Jovi also still sells out and his album debuted at #1 this month. Grunge only lasted a few years, not even as long as the hair metal era. And if GnR killed it off - where were the GnR type bands from 1993-2000?

Grunge didn't kill metal. Metal was alive and well in the early 90s. It just went underground and you had all sorts of genre defining bands like Darkthrone, Emperor, Burzum, Deicide, Dismember, etc. To be fair, you could say Industrial helped kill Grunge. Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails were absolutely huge in 94-2000 (NIN still plays big arenas.)

I think a GNR album in 95/96 would have done extremely well. There was interest and hype surrounding an album and people wanted to hear what was going to come out next. Hopefully some of the ideas are still in the vault and can be heard in the future.

Edited by SlashisGOD

14 minutes ago, SlashisGOD said:

you could say Industrial helped kill Grunge. Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails were absolutely huge in 94-2000 (NIN still plays big arenas.)

You could say Axl jumped on that bandwagon as well..."Oh My God" from the end of days soundtrack. If Guns at that time had been more functional there's a possibility that we could have had a very industrial metal sounding album in the GNR catalog if Axl had pursued this fully (and if the remaining members of the band had allowed him to) ...I'm not sure if that would have been good or not.

The small GNR catalog is both a blessing and a curse. They've stayed pretty much mythical exactly because they haven't released a bunch of sub par albums in the 90s or in the 00s....like many othe rbands did (take Metallica)

1 minute ago, Nostalgia^ said:

You could say Axl jumped on that bandwagon as well..."Oh My God" from the end of days soundtrack. If Guns at that time had been more functional there's a possibility that we could have had a very industrial metal sounding album in the GNR catalog if Axl had pursued this fully (and if the remaining members of the band had allowed him to) ...I'm not sure if that would have been good or not.

The small GNR catalog is both a blessing and a curse. They've stayed pretty much mythical exactly because they haven't released a bunch of sub par albums in the 90s or in the 00s....like many othe rbands did (take Metallica)

The more I think about it, the more I kinda want to hear an industrial metal GNR album. Oh My God isn't a great song, but it had promise I suppose. 

On 12/8/2016 at 9:02 AM, gnr5 said:

I believe a proper UYI follow up with that lineup is the greatest record not recorded in history.

you aren't lying, everybody in the band was hitting their technical prime

could have been a killer record   

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

you aren't lying, everybody in the band was hitting their technical prime

could have been a killer record   

Yup. That plus their popularity was still huge. It would have been a massive release.  Followed by a bunch of solo projects including CD under "Axl" name.

I've always felt the "missing" Guns N' Roses album is the one that should have come out between Appetite and UYI, like if Appetite's sales hadn't exploded in the summer of '88 and they  managed to get a second album out in '89. That way maybe there would be at least one more original lineup, straight-ahead hard rock GNR album.