06/17/17 - London, GB - London Stadium *2nd Night

alfierose

29 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Can I say that we are 8 or whatever shows in and Axl's voice isn't improving...or are we still thinking this is a conscious effort to preserve it for the rest of the tour? 

I'm just looking for a consensus of how everyone feels, i don't think he sounds good based on YouTube videos but maybe it's still one of those odd things where being there and hearing him he sounds great and the YouTube videos are way off

There are songs he has sounded consistently bad (Michelle, Yesterdays, Whole Lotta Rosie) in this leg. Yesterdays has never been good in the whole tour though (except in the first shows in Mexico iirc) and Rosie has been average since Australia. There is slight improvement on some songs, e.g. SCOM, YCBM and Black Hole Sun; and Jungle last night was great, much better than in the first European shows.

It's impressive that he's always flawless on the first three songs of the set. They are easier for him because they are in his lower register, but not as easy as The Seeker. Brownstone and CD require changes and he does them effortlessly. I wonder why he doesn't use more the CD chorus voice.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

I know Whole Lotta Rosie is one of the best song they have to play, but at this point, Axl sounds so lame with Mickey. I see a band that is plain as day going through the motions.

If you read the posts you should know that he doesn't sound like that live.

It makes kinda sense, too. A handy mic is usually one direction only, so it doesn't record the natural sound. You get sound waves from one direction only, not from all around like when you hear it live. Add echoes, overlaps, frequnecies extinguished due to that and all such stuff...and you can have a way different sound.

Edited by Zurimor

8 minutes ago, northernsoul said:

Definitely plenty of Mickey tonight, didn't notice it last night but that could be the beer.  They seemed bang up for Friday a little less so today, if I hadn't have seen Friday I'd think it was still a good performance but it just didn't hit those heights for me 

Rosie vocals were by far the worst over the two nights

Thanks for the headsup! 

It seems lke they had nothing else to play, so they had to throw a quick AC/DC cover there.

8 minutes ago, Zurimor said:

I liike the lyrics, they are pretty ironic and fit the music really well.

Again, you can't discuss taste. ;)

Whatever :) It wouldn't make sense for the band to play Get In The Ring again anyway, mostly because of the lyrics.

1 minute ago, Zurimor said:

If you read the posts you should know that he doesn't sound like that live.

It makes kinda sense, too. A handy mic is usually one direction only, so it doesn't record the natural sound. You get sound waves from one direction only, not from all around like when you hear it live. Add echoes, overlaps, frequnecies extinguished due to that and all such stuff...and you can have a way different sound.

Yes I do read the posts. And yes he did sound very bad on Rosie.

You won't teach me anything on that, Youtube/Live arguments are nonsense sorry.

About the being there Vs recordings thing: I haven't attended a show, but I think that we don't hear rasp in the videos because there really isn't any or much of it. I believe though that his clean voice (and the mixed voice he uses on e.g. Rocket Queen) sounds much richer and crisper live (=not "mickey") and the recordings can't capture that, so it doesn't sound good in the videos.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Angus would have fired Axl if he sang like this 

He either fucked up his voice, or simply doesn't give a shit with GNR. Those 2 performances of the exact same song show just how subpar Axl has been.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There are songs he has sounded consistently bad (Michelle, Yesterdays, Whole Lotta Rosie) in this leg. Yesterdays has never been good in the whole tour though (except in the first shows in Mexico iirc) and Rosie has been average since Australia. There is slight improvement on some songs, e.g. SCOM, YCBM and Black Hole Sun; and Jungle last night was great, much better than in the first European shows.

It's impressive that he's always flawless on the first three songs of the set. They are easier for him because they are in his lower register, but not as easy as The Seeker. Brownstone and CD require changes and he does them effortlessly. I wonder why he doesn't use more the CD chorus voice.

I think the only problem I have is he is missing on a large part of the set...LALD, Better, Estranged, YCBM, RQ, Coma, CW, Yesterdays, My Michelle, KOHD, NR, SCOM, Rosie, PC all are being compromised by his vocals at the moment. That's a huge part of the set that is just too weak. That's about an hour and a half of Mickey or just a weaker voice. 

On the NA tour you could remove LALD, RQ, CW, My Michelle from that list and on some nights he was only missing on a few songs. 

Its fine or whatever at this point but I guess the question now is is this intentional to preserve his voice or has he done some damage with all the shows last year?

18 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Its fine or whatever at this point but I guess the question now is is this intentional to preserve his voice or has he done some damage with all the shows last year?

It's probably a bit of both. He gave it all for AC/DC. I know very little about vocals and he had a vocal coach, but when I heard him on some Brian Johnson songs, especially Hell's Bells, it sounded to me like he was hurting his vocal chords.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's probably a bit of both. He gave it all for AC/DC. I know very little about vocals and he had a vocal coach, but when I heard him on some Brian Johnson songs, especially Hell's Bells, it sounded to me like he was hurting his vocal chords.

Maybe on Hells Bells but he wasn't doing anything besides great technique on Back in Black which comes from hard work with a great vocal coach who gives a great singer the confidence to sing this way each night. 

There was nothing magical about it, he simply learned new songs for him from the ground up, worked his ass off and got rewarded for it. That's why I hate giving him the benefit of the doubt on a tour this massive with guns Bc he's under performing and really isn't putting in the same work knowing that he can get away with it. 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 4

He sounded fine ln that guest appearance of highway to hell. Rasp and power, iirc.

Right now he sounds right on par with his weakest 2011-2014 stuff. There are loads of shows during this timefrae where he is frankly better than he has been since NITL left the USA.

Something is up, and regardless of it being damage to his voice or simply a measured approach it sucks both ways.

• Like 2

Just now, Pedrolg said:

He sounded fine ln that guest appearance of highway to hell. Rasp and power, iirc.

Right now he sounds right on par with his weakest 2011-2014 stuff. There are loads of shows during this timefrae where he is frankly better than he has been since NITL left the USA.

Something is up, and regardless of it being damage to his voice or simply a measured approach it sucks both ways.

I tend to agree with that last line on the basis on the ticket prices and how well Slash is playing right now. I'd like to see Axl do his part 

5 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I agree. I honestly think it sounds like he's going for the 2002 style of vocals but they don't have as much power behind them and this is the result. I've said it before and I'll say it again - if he can only do the AC/DC level of performance for 60-90 minutes a night, then shorter shows with better vocals would be better than the current shows.

• Like 1

Reviews for Friday (including Axl's vocals) were rave though

Welcome to the Jungle begins and the crowd surges like a beast. Mr Brownstone, a druggy song that seemed more dangerous 25 years ago, seems strangely poignant now, with Rose singing its winding melody beautifully, perfectly. His face, which bears the agelessness of any Hollywood star who has reached a certain age and perhaps had some help, is as taut as a drum when he sings the highest notes, and you wonder if he might burst. [...]

He sings Live and Let Die with twice the bravado and swagger of Paul McCartney, and the thundering drums are so menacing that it’s a real moment for the crowd.

The lyrics to Civil War feel ripe for the political tensions of today, and Rose’s voice is soft like fur at the start, switching to a tightrope in a second.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jun/17/guns-n-roses-review-queen-elizabeth-stadium-stratford-london-paradise-city

Axl, if not particularly lean, was certainly looking moody. A cowboy hat sat atop his head while his hips swivelled snake-like. Most importantly, his voice was moving fluidly up its five and a half octaves, and Slash's fingers moved as nimbly as ever across the fretboard. Down at the mosh pit, the crowd were ecstatic.   [...]

With clearer acoustics, "Civil War" was full of pomp and bombast whilst "Yesterdays" felt tearful and nostalgic. Meanwhile the light was starting to dim, and by the time Slash embarked on his blistering solo spot, the sound quality for the whole venue was finally coming together. Just in the nick of time.

The evening's climax, "Sweet Child O' Mine", was a thing of true beauty. Unsurprisingly, many fans looked like they could die happy for having heard Axl and Slash perform it. [...]

Another left-field cover was the piano outro from Eric Clapton's "Layla", which segued into "November Rain" while the cameras zoomed in on the bejewelled fingers tickling the ivories. For a moment it looked like it could be Elton John. But, of course, it was Axl, and the performance was both brilliant and totally over-the-top. 

The rest of the set was equally thrilling: "Knocking on Heaven's Door", "Nightrain", "Patience" and the Chris Cornell tribute, "Black Hole Sun", all succeeded in evoking the band's glory days.

http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/guns-n-roses-london-stadium-review-venue-almost-ruins-night-glory

Also

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/concerts/guns-n-roses-reunion-arrived-london-big-brash-absolutely-brilliant/

• Like 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

Reviews for Friday (including Axl's vocals) were rave though

Welcome to the Jungle begins and the crowd surges like a beast. Mr Brownstone, a druggy song that seemed more dangerous 25 years ago, seems strangely poignant now, with Rose singing its winding melody beautifully, perfectly. His face, which bears the agelessness of any Hollywood star who has reached a certain age and perhaps had some help, is as taut as a drum when he sings the highest notes, and you wonder if he might burst. [...]

He sings Live and Let Die with twice the bravado and swagger of Paul McCartney, and the thundering drums are so menacing that it’s a real moment for the crowd.

The lyrics to Civil War feel ripe for the political tensions of today, and Rose’s voice is soft like fur at the start, switching to a tightrope in a second.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jun/17/guns-n-roses-review-queen-elizabeth-stadium-stratford-london-paradise-city

Axl, if not particularly lean, was certainly looking moody. A cowboy hat sat atop his head while his hips swivelled snake-like. Most importantly, his voice was moving fluidly up its five and a half octaves, and Slash's fingers moved as nimbly as ever across the fretboard. Down at the mosh pit, the crowd were ecstatic.   [...]

With clearer acoustics, "Civil War" was full of pomp and bombast whilst "Yesterdays" felt tearful and nostalgic. Meanwhile the light was starting to dim, and by the time Slash embarked on his blistering solo spot, the sound quality for the whole venue was finally coming together. Just in the nick of time.

The evening's climax, "Sweet Child O' Mine", was a thing of true beauty. Unsurprisingly, many fans looked like they could die happy for having heard Axl and Slash perform it. [...]

Another left-field cover was the piano outro from Eric Clapton's "Layla", which segued into "November Rain" while the cameras zoomed in on the bejewelled fingers tickling the ivories. For a moment it looked like it could be Elton John. But, of course, it was Axl, and the performance was both brilliant and totally over-the-top. 

The rest of the set was equally thrilling: "Knocking on Heaven's Door", "Nightrain", "Patience" and the Chris Cornell tribute, "Black Hole Sun", all succeeded in evoking the band's glory days.

http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/guns-n-roses-london-stadium-review-venue-almost-ruins-night-glory

Also

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/concerts/guns-n-roses-reunion-arrived-london-big-brash-absolutely-brilliant/

Which is why Axl won't relearn the songs with a vocal coach...

wait until a live release or tv performance...he will get trashed again for his vocals Bc they will not translate well 

It truly dilutes the whole experience. An in form Axl is a real force of nature. I remember getting shivers when I first heard Nightrain from the Vegas shows, and being absolutely blown away and unable to believe my years when I heard him sing Thunderstruck with Angus.

To get Axl and Slash together again, to be able to see it live and having him sound like this is really a bit sad, imo. It's awesome when you are there, that's true, bit it sucks to not even be able to listen back on that great YCBM moment because it will sound awful. I'll go out there and say I've heard cover singers at bars recently do better performances than him of some of his material.

Anyway, it's clear most people don't care, from regular fans to journalists and reviewers. If it weren't for AC/DC I would simply make peace with the fact that Axl`s voice is getting shot and he is forced to adapt, like Hetfield, Plant, Bon Jovi and most of those guys. I wouldn`t lose an ounce of respect for him if that were the case, but the fact that he sounds like an absolute ANIMAL whenever Angus is around gives me pause.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

@WindsorBoy147 Did you record any on your phone? I did and Axl turned Mickey. He was great tonight in person yet shitty on my phone.

although people here are asking for streams and pics:

https://mic.com/articles/95410/science-proves-that-using-your-cellphone-at-a-concert-is-ruining-the-experience#.M1opStINe

Do you agree with this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aaron_H said:

We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
An everybody warms themselves
to a different fire

3 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

It truly dilutes the whole experience. An in form Axl is a real force of nature. I remember getting shivers when I first heard Nightrain from the Vegas shows, and being absolutely blown away and unable to believe my years when I heard him sing Thunderstruck with Angus.

To get Axl and Slash together again, to be able to see it live and having him sound like this is really a bit sad, imo. It's awesome when you are there, that's true, bit it sucks to not even be able to listen back on that great YCBM moment because it will sound awful. I'll go out there and say I've heard cover singers at bars recently do better performances than him of some of his material.

Anyway, it's clear most people don't care, from regular fans to journalists and reviewers. If it weren't for AC/DC I would simply make peace with the fact that Axl`s voice is getting shot and he is forced to adapt, like Hetfield, Plant, Bon Jovi and most of those guys. I wouldn`t lose an ounce of respect for him if that were the case, but the fact that he sounds like an absolute ANIMAL whenever Angus is around gives me pause.

Axl has even more power than 1991 and 1993, just look at AC/DC and Guns, sure his voice sound different, but he sounds amazing

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Which is why Axl won't relearn the songs with a vocal coach...

wait until a live release or tv performance...he will get trashed again for his vocals Bc they will not translate well 

Axl can go as high as Seven and a half octaves, it is crazy