06/17/17 - London, GB - London Stadium *2nd Night

alfierose

46 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I watched/listened-to two clips today, something I rarely do: Yesterdays and Coma from London. The band sounded good except for the last verses of Coma on which Rose struggled (he was almost talking it by the song's conclusion). Yesterdays vocally was clean and rasp free but still powerful. I didn't mind Slash's loose interpretation of the Yesterdays solo either - it was bluesy and improvised which is what Slash is supposed to be about, and it is his solo to do with whatever he pleases unlike guitarists during the previous era. I cannot believe some people expect Slash to play note-by-note versions of the studio songs like an automaton? This is what Slash, and by extension Guns, was never about! Slash's raison d'être is his bluesy looseness!

Yeah...how about Slash starts bluesy-loose the intro of SCOM...?

47 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I watched/listened-to two clips today, something I rarely do: Yesterdays and Coma from London. The band sounded good except for the last verses of Coma on which Rose struggled (he was almost talking it by the song's conclusion). Yesterdays vocally was clean and rasp free but still powerful. I didn't mind Slash's loose interpretation of the Yesterdays solo either - it was bluesy and improvised which is what Slash is supposed to be about, and it is his solo to do with whatever he pleases unlike guitarists during the previous era. I cannot believe some people expect Slash to play note-by-note versions of the studio songs like an automaton? This is what Slash, and by extension Guns, was never about! Slash's raison d'être is his bluesy looseness!

I wouldn't straight up agree with that last comment, Keith Richards maybe...

1 minute ago, scooby845 said:

Yeah...how about Slash starts bluesy-loose the intro of SCOM...?

Ha!

3 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think the main part of the discussion is we are less than a year removed from AC/DC and the NA leg of the NITL tour and we are seeing major drop offs in Axl's vocals. Maybe it's a conservative effort to prolong his vocals and lower risk of injury to make sure this tour gets completed or maybe 2016 had some side effects that have left his voice in recovery mode...

however the key point here is that was all within the last year and it's tough to say Axl has been improving on this leg...I'm willing to bet he comes on strong to finish this year and we are left looking at a huge difference between the shows now and the shows in the arenas around the US. 

The shows are selling and he's getting paid regardless of his performance level, so there's no need to push himself - which is disappointing because, having seen him several times over the last few years, he sounds infinitely better when he's pissed off or got something to prove. His voice currently is the one he uses to coast through a tour, like 2011/12. He actually sounded better at the last Vegas 2014 shows than he does now, let alone the drop off from the Vegas 2016 shows (which weren't vocally stellar either, but still mostly enjoyable). Dude's making a million bucks a show and using his weakest singing voice - that's my biggest complaint. Hopefully he kicks it up for the next NA leg and really brings it for Rock In Rio, because that'll likely be the first pro-shot we get from this tour.

• Like 1

See, compared to some earlier renditions of Coma since NITL began, I was very satisfied with what we got in London, specifically Saturday night. 

It's a bloody mouthful by the end, but it's as if Axl has each line dialled in in such a way that he might "sound" like he's struggling but he certainly doesn't "look" like he's struggling, if that even makes any sense... which I concede it really doesn't

Oh well, I guess I just had too much fun down the front and was pleasantly surprised about the effort to sound ratio of Coma from Axl..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think the main part of the discussion is we are less than a year removed from AC/DC and the NA leg of the NITL tour and we are seeing major drop offs in Axl's vocals. Maybe it's a conservative effort to prolong his vocals and lower risk of injury to make sure this tour gets completed or maybe 2016 had some side effects that have left his voice in recovery mode...

however the key point here is that was all within the last year and it's tough to say Axl has been improving on this leg...I'm willing to bet he comes on strong to finish this year and we are left looking at a huge difference between the shows now and the shows in the arenas around the US. 

Yeah I've now seen Axl twice in the space of 12 months. There is a noticeable difference live between his performance with AC/DC and GN'R (on this leg at least) however, I've now changed my opinion somewhat, I don't really care. The level he's performing at now is still incredible in a stadium, the clean voice sounds strong and in key and when he uses rasp and screams it soars right through you. He's genuinely impressive and doesn't detract from the show whatsoever. I do think, if they were to release a Blu-ray, he'd need to make a conscious effort to use his AC/DC voice. Because his falsetto would not translate well from a soundboard recording. But, even at this level, still worth every penny.

This is a long ass tour and people are happy all over the world with his performances. Whether it be Houston or Slane, the same level of fan satisfaction resulted. People are blown away.

I'm more than content with Axl's performances now. Even if I disagree with his attitude and know he's capable of extra gears. I'm not gonna complain on show threads anymore if there's a less than stellar YCBM or whatever. The bottom line is, who the fuck even cares? It still sounds good in person due to the level of production and we know how good he actually can be anyway. So there's no need to worry about wondering whether he still "has it" or not. He obviously does, but analysing vocals show to show is becoming tiresome. He's still good and if we get a new album I can predict with almost 100% certainty there'll be some absolutely stunning vocals on it by Axl.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Yeah I've now seen Axl twice in the space of 12 months. There is a noticeable difference live between his performance with AC/DC and GN'R (on this leg at least) however, I've now changed my opinion somewhat, I don't really care. The level he's performing at now is still incredible in a stadium, the clean voice sounds strong and in key and when he uses rasp and screams it soars right through you. He's genuinely impressive and doesn't detract from the show whatsoever. I do think, if they were to release a Blu-ray, he'd need to make a conscious effort to use his AC/DC voice. Because his falsetto would not translate well from a soundboard recording. But, even at this level, still worth every penny.

This is a long ass tour and people are happy all over the world with his performances. Whether it be Houston or Slane, the same level of fan satisfaction resulted. People are blown away.

I'm more than content with Axl's performances now. Even if I disagree with his attitude and know he's capable of extra gears. I'm not gonna complain on show threads anymore if there's a less than stellar YCBM or whatever. The bottom line is, who the fuck even cares? It still sounds good in person due to the level of production and we know how good he actually can be anyway. So there's no need to worry about wondering whether he still "has it" or not. He obviously does, but analysing vocals show to show is becoming tiresome. He's still good and if we get a new album I can predict with almost 100% certainty there'll be some absolutely stunning vocals on it by Axl.

All THIS..

Totally agree

After 2 nights in London I'll never watch the YouTube vids again with the same level of criticism I may have in the past

These old bastards have won me over and between Slash and Axl, end to end you have a stellar beyond entertaining show, close to 3 hours in length

Im just looking forward to the next time now, live in concert, in person! ;-D

• Like 2

@AlexC completely get that point of view. I remember seeing the 2013 lineup in Lubbock and everything about the quality of that show from the sound, acoustics, the intimate feel of the venue were perfect. Axl's voice was on point (except on Better and YCBM) but I got back and got on here and there were about 2 pages dedicated to the show...nobody cared I said how great Axl was but everyone was so bummed out by the Australian tour that year and didn't feel like Axl had improved. I knew about the argument  between YouTube and concert but I made it anyways. 

Point is nothing will change the fact that that concert was one of the best I've ever been to, and will always be a great memory of mine. 

However, being realistic and having seen Axl on a few pro shots it pains me that this lineup can't be taken seriously until he's performing on a top level vocally. He can't compete with the top artist vocally right now with GNR. They will be laughed at, labeled as too old and whatever else. So my hopes for this band go beyond an individual show and move into a broader arena where I feel like if we are ever to get interviews, a new album, a live performance then Axl needs to go to work...and maybe he will but having followed this band for a while the only thing I've seen motivate him in the last 5 years is AC/DC and I'm afraid we are going to be left waiting again as they take in the cash. I hope I'm wrong

I saw back to back nights in 2007 when Axl was still the serpentine king himself, physcially and vocally, and then again at the infamous Reading 2010 performance and fuck all 3 of those over what I just witnessed up close and in the pit for London!

Sorry, but there's no comparison for me, what I just saw was GUNS N' FUCKIN' ROSES end of

• Like 4

Back home in Scotland after the show last night.

I've seen various incarnations of GNR during the 00s and 10s, Velvet Revolver, Duff's Loaded and Slash with the Conspirators but nothing could prepare me for how good last night's show was.

In my opinion Axl sounded great - maybe some songs slightly less so but didn't really notice.

Loved seeing Slash doing WTTJ for the first time and seeing Coma for the first time was also amazing.

Hopefully theres another Euro leg for this your as I want to see the show again!

6 minutes ago, alfierose said:

@Amir
@Axls Rocket Queen@Sekh-met@nina901

Me and @Gracii Guns got to the pop up shop this morning and bagged a free t-shirt which is really decent quality and a great design. The people running it were really nice and handed out a load of very posh water (eat your heart out Ashba) to the queue because we were all melting at that point. A few Nightrain folk who had lanyards won sets of used skins signed by Frank from the recent run of shows, regardless of anyones opinion on drummers it was nice to see the winners so thrilled.

So free t-shirts were handed out Thurs, Fri and Sun but not Saturday - the one day I got to the shop first. Grrrrr...

• Like 2

I was quite disappointed with how static the crowed was. There was loads of singing which was nice but very little jumping, bouncing, minor moshing.  I was only 3 people back from the barrier in ga and it was just a little dull.  Good music though, I enjoyed the show and although axl is not what he used to be it was good enough for me

• Like 1

@IncitingChaos I wouldn't dwell on how well he's gonna sound to the masses on a pro shot concert too much. I'm sure he's well aware of the criticisms and would perform to the best of his ability as a result. You have to realise, Axl has now done over 70 shows on the NITL tour. I know he's making millions and the fans deserve the best but it's just a job at the end of the day. He's probably just settled into a groove where he doesn't feel like overexerting himself at every single show when people are happy regardless.

But from what we've seen recently with AC/DC and Guns. When push comes to shove, he's more than capable of delivering the goods, and if he's under scrutiny or being closely watched then I'm sure he'll give it maximum effort. As of right now, the reality is there's no real need for him to do that.

But it's reassuring to know what he's actually capable of.

Edited by AlexC

3 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

I saw back to back nights in 2007 when Axl was still the serpentine king himself, physcially and vocally, and then again at the infamous Reading 2010 performance and fuck all 3 of those over what I just witnessed up close and in the pit for London!

Sorry, but there's no comparison for me, what I just saw was GUNS N' FUCKIN' ROSES end of

Haha its strange how certain shows will live in your mind as the best, as I mentioned above seeing them in 2013 was still the best concert I have seen. That should be a big WTF considering I've seen this lineup 3 times. 

Glad you had such a good time! 

I still will maintain the importance of pro shots for each lineup. 

2006 is such a special year Bc we look back and see Rock Am Ring and go "wow he had it all still" 

you go back to 2002 and you say "wow Axl lost it"

shame we got nothing full from 2010 but we will see the 11-14 lineup as Appetite for Democracy DVD 

im just wondering how we will view this reunion when it's all said and done. 

The personal memories mean the most though so I'm glad you will always have that connection to this show and this lineup 

5 minutes ago, AlexC said:

@IncitingChaos I wouldn't dwell on how well he's gonna sound to the masses on a pro shot concert too much. I'm sure he's well aware of the criticisms and would perform to the best of his ability as a result. You have to realise, Axl has now done over 70 shows on the NITL tour. I know he's making millions and the fans deserve the best but it's just a job at the end of the day. He's probably just settled into a groove where he doesn't feel like overexerting himself at every single show when people are happy regardless.

But from what we've seen recently with AC/DC and Guns. When push comes to shove, he's more than capable of delivering the goods, and if he's under scrutiny or being closely watched then I'm sure he'll give it maximum effort. As of right now, the reality is there's no real need for him to do that.

But it's reassuring to know what he's actually capable of.

True at the end of the day it can't get worse than Appetite for Democracy. 

We are getting Dodger Stadium which shouldn't be too bad of a pro shot! 

Axl has had many chances to perform on a big stage with nugnr and his record for coming out with more isn't very good! Hope that changes 

9 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

True at the end of the day it can't get worse than Appetite for Democracy. 

We are getting Dodger Stadium which shouldn't be too bad of a pro shot! 

Axl has had many chances to perform on a big stage with nugnr and his record for coming out with more isn't very good! Hope that changes 

It could very well be that they already have the footage for whatever live release they're planning on. So now there's no real need for him to go all out on every single show. Maybe the NA leg was so good simply because Axl knew he was being filmed? Same thing with AC/DC. He knew millions of people around the world, media included would be checking out YouTube for him singing Thunderstruck and Highway to Hell and all the classic hits expecting and wanting him to butcher them. Hence the Godly performances haha.

He's already won people over. So he probably feels like he can relax a bit now and just enjoy the shows and not kill himself every night.

Edited by AlexC

I've noticed that since 2011 mygnr was very anti Axl. It's good to see his reputation is back where is should be since 2016, it's just generally more positive towards Axl recently.

I had a great weekend. Savour these shows, won't last forever and you won't ever see another band like this!

Edited by Axl_morris
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

I've noticed that since 2011 mygnr was very anti Axl. It's good to see his reputation is back where is should be since 2016, it's just generally more positive towards Axl on now.

I had a great weekend. Savour these shows, won't last forever and you won't ever see another band like this!

Has it not occurred to you that nobody here is anti-Axl, just that since 2011 some people haven't liked his performances for whatever reason? I liked the shows I saw from 2011-14 btw, but people were more positive towards in Axl in 2016 because he sounded like Axl Fucking Rose again.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Has it not occurred to you that nobody here is anti-Axl, just that since 2011 some people haven't liked his performances? I liked the shows I saw from 2011-14 btw, but people were more positive towards in Axl in 2016 because he sounded like Axl Fucking Rose again.

I'll be honest there isn't a great difference between his 2012 performances on most of the songs played in 2017. Infact if you look at Philly 2012 it kicks ass over anything this year. 

I just think with reuniting, ACDC, big stadium tours, no rants and being on time has contributed to a more positive response. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Axl_morris said:

I'll be honest there isn't a great difference between his 2012 performances on most of the songs played in 2017. Infact if you look at Philly 2012 it kicks ass over anything this year.

That's the point though. In 2016, he sounded better on the NA leg of the tour and the AC/DC shows than he'd sounded since 2010, and now a year later we're back to 2012-level performances. Slash is the highlight of the tour post-NA, and it's a shame because Axl has little bursts of greatness but it seems like he's just on autopilot again.

• Like 1