06/17/17 - London, GB - London Stadium *2nd Night

alfierose

I'd actually really enjoyed the show. Axl wasn't at his best at Slane, which is expected after months out of touring, but now that they've played several shows, you could tell his voice has improved as a result. Obviously some of the stuff wasn't as strong as what it could be, but for the most part I thought he was spot on.

Raging that he burst into happy birthday for that old trout in Buckingham Palace though. The only way he will redeem himself is if he covers something by the Wolfetones at one of the gigs on the tour, as he missed his chance in Ireland.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SWINGTRADER said:

So what people are saying is that Axl was really good in the first London show, but not his 2nd?

I haven't visited this site in a few days and I am trying to catch up.

No i was there the second night and he was incredible 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derick said:

Someone reported that they dedicated KOHD to the victims from the recently terrorist attack and from that fire too..But I can't find it..What moment do they mention it?

He did before the song.  I was there and must say it's 100% true that he sounds much better in person.  As a person who has spent years on this board and watching YouTube clips... his energy and voice in person was far superior to my expectations.  If you haven't seen them live... go they really put on a hell of a show.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dean said:

Raging that he burst into happy birthday for that old trout in Buckingham Palace though. The only way he will redeem himself is if he covers something by the Wolfetones at one of the gigs on the tour, as he missed his chance in Ireland.

You're Irish I take it?

2 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

You're Irish I take it?

Naa, just no love for old Lizzy.

The only Queen I acknowledge consisted of 4 fellas.

The best part about Axl singing that though was people around me started singing the chorus to World In Motion randomly.

21 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

I may be mistaken but I'm not sure Axl specifically mentioned Grenfell tower, or even a specific terrorist attack, I was there and heard something like "for all the people who have died recently", there was something after that though which I didn't catch.

He mentioned Greenfell and London Bridge specifically before the song. after this song or another he also dedicated one to his dog.

22 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

I can't stand the poster and i'm personally fine with Axl saving his voice whilst playing the boring, overplayed, turgid hits to the masses who haven't been around for 25 years so he can kill it when he releases new material with Angus/Guns in the future. 

But you can't call him a troll for that. 

I don't think it's any great mystery, the discrepancy between live and recorded: the difference is you're listening to weak, half-arsed falsetto at enormous volume through an Earth-shaking PA instead of your little computer speakers. 

Interesting post.  To expand on it:

I anticipate news next month given that Adler is the bellwether (as he was post-Trunk until the moment he stormed the stage in Cincy bringing the party feel to his songs), but these singer’s voice manifestos are insufferable as I check-in to confirm that Adler hasn’t made a peep.

Posters’ revisionism about the singer's voice appear to originate from the vacuous who never saw the original band, yet rave about how he sounded live post-’91 when that’s chainsaw hoarseness.  And it’s revisionism—he didn’t sound that way on AFD (thank God).

The singer was always the weakest link live.  When I saw the band in ’88, his vocals sounded close enough to the recordings.  But by the second time I saw the band in ’91 (before UYI), he sounded awful—screaming hoarseness.  At that time, however, he had a genuine rock stage presence (this was before his two-decade assholery of fan disrespect and corresponding free-fall into irrelevance in America) to compensate.

Adler’s fourth replacement has all the feel of Elephant Man on the kit and bludgeons through iconic songs like PC as if he were hitting the crack stem in the sleeper of his rig searching for his skull cap.  It’s no wonder the singer has to resort to a Barry Gibb falsetto to squeak out the lyrics to PC at the meth-like tempo Adler’s fourth replacement lays down.

The singer is no one-take, Elvis natural—he recorded his vocals line-by-line on the iconic AFD.  And he is now grandfather age.  And yet, his vocals on OTGM with Adler last summer sounded closer to the recording than the second time that I saw the band in ’91.  Not bad at all, for an old man who recorded the vocals three decades ago line-by-line.

• Like 4