06/17/17 - London, GB - London Stadium *2nd Night

alfierose

4 hours ago, Dean said:

Naa, just no love for old Lizzy.

The only Queen I acknowledge consisted of 4 fellas.

The best part about Axl singing that though was people around me started singing the chorus to World In Motion randomly.

His insistence that the crowd sing along crashed and burned, unlike the night before when almost everyone joined in for his stage tech's birthday. 

I thought it was a bit of strange one as I thought Brits had at least respect for their Queen enough they'd join in on a comical rendition of "Happy Birthday" but I guess not! Talk about an awkward bunch!

It was funny to hear Axl jokingly berate those who hadn't joined in, which was pretty much everybody. He muttered something like, "naughty, naughty your Queen won't be happy" ;-D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

He mentioned Greenfell and London Bridge specifically before the song. after this song or another he also dedicated one to his dog.

This, when he started talking the sound was kind of muffled though and I think he forgot what he was about to dedicate it to briefly it was more of a "yano everyone who died with the fire and the err bridge thing "

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JustanUrchin said:

Interesting post.  To expand on it:

I anticipate news next month given that Adler is the bellwether (as he was post-Trunk until the moment he stormed the stage in Cincy bringing the party feel to his songs), but these singer’s voice manifestos are insufferable as I check-in to confirm that Adler hasn’t made a peep.

Posters’ revisionism about the singer's voice appear to originate from the vacuous who never saw the original band, yet rave about how he sounded live post-’91 when that’s chainsaw hoarseness.  And it’s revisionism—he didn’t sound that way on AFD (thank God).

The singer was always the weakest link live.  When I saw the band in ’88, his vocals sounded close enough to the recordings.  But by the second time I saw the band in ’91 (before UYI), he sounded awful—screaming hoarseness.  At that time, however, he had a genuine rock stage presence (this was before his two-decade assholery of fan disrespect and corresponding free-fall into irrelevance in America) to compensate.

Adler’s fourth replacement has all the feel of Elephant Man on the kit and bludgeons through iconic songs like PC as if he were hitting the crack stem in the sleeper of his rig searching for his skull cap.  It’s no wonder the singer has to resort to a Barry Gibb falsetto to squeak out the lyrics to PC at the meth-like tempo Adler’s fourth replacement lays down.

The singer is no one-take, Elvis natural—he recorded his vocals line-by-line on the iconic AFD.  And he is now grandfather age.  And yet, his vocals on OTGM with Adler last summer sounded closer to the recording than the second time that I saw the band in ’91.  Not bad at all, for an old man who recorded the vocals three decades ago line-by-line.

That's a pretty good point, today's albums are produced to sound perfect, no matter that the band will never bring that performance on stage.

There are still some bands which do the good ole "live on tape" stuff, and I like them. One take and that's it. Adds a whole lot of vividness and they sound on stage exactly as they sound on album.

Edited by Zurimor

55 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

I thought it was a bit of strange one as I thought Brits had at least respect for their Queen enough they'd join in on a comical rendition of "Happy Birthday" but I guess not! Talk about an awkward bunch!

It was funny to hear Axl jokingly berate those who hadn't joined in, which was pretty much everybody. He muttered something like, "naughty, naughty your Queen won't be happy" ;-D

I'm sure that most people in that audience didn't realise it was Her Majesty's birthday. 

And nobody calls her "Queen". It's a title, not a name. So it just sounded really awkward when he sang "happy birthday dear Quee-eeeeeen". 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JustanUrchin said:

Adler’s fourth replacement has all the feel of Elephant Man on the kit and bludgeons through iconic songs like PC as if he were hitting the crack stem in the sleeper of his rig searching for his skull cap.  It’s no wonder the singer has to resort to a Barry Gibb falsetto to squeak out the lyrics to PC at the meth-like tempo Adler’s fourth replacement lays down.

Well said..

8 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Yeah your not wrong sound great 

It's obvious Periscope streams and regular cell phone mics don't do the band justice when it comes to sound. They sound great in those clips.  And that's why I think you see that the vast majority of fans that actually attend these shows vs just seeing periscope streams say that they sound great live. 

You'll see a lot of critics eat their words when they release the live DVD of this tour....I bet it will sound and look great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

His insistence that the crowd sing along crashed and burned, unlike the night before when almost everyone joined in for his stage tech's birthday. 

Yeah man, we're all fucking nuts though, as is that ginger mentalist!

Hope you had a great time at both shows!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gem Archer said:

Slash is not into it at all with this song...

The way they perform Yesterdays on this tour makes me think that they should shelve it for now and bring it back as part of an Acoustic Set on the arena tour. It would probably actually sound really good that way. 

And although Slash is fumbling through the solo I love that tone. It's the first time I've heard it from Slash since the AMA Patience with Don Henley. 

15 hours ago, Dean said:

Raging that he burst into happy birthday for that old trout in Buckingham Palace though. The only way he will redeem himself is if he covers something by the Wolfetones at one of the gigs on the tour, as he missed his chance in Ireland.

MYGNRFORUM isn't the place to be spouting this nonsense

Edited by Axl_morris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hejanne said:

Nice spot and thaks for sharing... Yesterdays video is not avaible..

P.D.: Sorry, I could not resist ... I looked at some of your pics and I saw that you have a great story with the band! Awesome!!:headbang:

42 minutes ago, Derick said:

Nice spot and thaks for sharing... Yesterdays video is not avaible..

P.D.: Sorry, I could not resist ... I looked at some of your pics and I saw that you have a great story with the band! Awesome!!:headbang:

Yesterdays should be avaible now:headbang:

Yeah, me and Axl have shared some good times :P

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TOS--LOA said:

And although Slash is fumbling through the solo I love that tone. It's the first time I've heard it from Slash since the AMA Patience with Don Henley. 

I like this tone too.   It seems to challenge him to use it live maybe?  His style is linked to over saturation and sustain, and this is the opposite.  Theres more 'space' for nuance and he has spent most of his life filling that space with saturation.

To my ears theres places on VR's Libertad that has a similar, smaller tone.  Using Gretch guitar and Vox amps sometimes.

53 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

When he takes off his sunglasses at the end and finishes the last few lines like it's no big deal is my favorite part 

Legendary performance. If they do a live album this version of Coma HAS to be included. Both Axl and Slash were near perfect. I actually prefer it to the studio recording. The world needs to hear this, it's an absolute doubter silencer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

I like this tone too.   It seems to challenge him to use it live maybe?  His style is linked to over saturation and sustain, and this is the opposite.  Theres more 'space' for nuance and he has spent most of his life filling that space with saturation.

To my ears theres places on VR's Libertad that has a similar, smaller tone.  Using Gretch guitar and Vox amps sometimes.

Agreed on all points. 

Messages hints at this tone. But doesn't fully commit. 

• Like 1