advice on foreign concert from uk

I saw GNR in 2012 at a London arena and now have tickets for London 2017 at a stadium. instead of a second night in London I want to do something different like travel abroad to a gig. im on a budget so japan, aussieland and USA are out. im thinking bilboa, Copenhagen or tel aviv just for the fact I've not been to these cities before and short 3 day package holidays can be had at a reasonable price. whats the advice of those that have "been there, done that" in regards to where, atmosphere, price, transport and that sort of thing ?

I might be wrong but I think it's fairly easy to travel from Denmark to Sweden and there are 2 days between those shows so you could maybe do both as well as see 2 cities. I did see that Sweden may have sold out already in the general sale but it's possible you could get tickets later on StubHub or similar.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about any of the places other than spending 4 hours in Copenhagen airport once. :lol:

Friend recently went to Copenhagen and had a good time, though be warned that you'll pay a pretty penny for beer (and everything else). I was thinking of it but chose Stockholm instead as I could do that one with Prague and Paris in a row in terms of travelling/days off work. Never been to Stockholm or Prague but heard a lot of good things about both and flights were cheap (London -> Stockholm £30, Stockholm -> Prague £34, Prague -> Paris £32, will get Eurostar back from Paris to London once they go on sale).

Tel Aviv in July will be pretty damn hot, friends have enjoyed their time there. @Rovim should be able to tell you more about it.

I've enjoyed pretty much all my travels for GNR gigs. Only one that was a bit dull was Geneva in 2010, crowd was reaaaallly subdued.

I was considering Munich and Vienna but refuse to pay 25 euros for ticket delivery (all my gigs for next year have sent e-tickets apart from London).

6 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

Bilbao would be interesting seeing as you've mentioned it.

bilboa is attracting me because I can fly one way and have an overnight ferry the other. that ferry sounds like a good excuse for a good old fashioned piss up

Advice me on London then :P 

Is it far to the stadium from the city center? Trying to decide whete to stay :)

As for you, I will strongly suggest Copenhagen, as I love that city :) Would go there myself, if it wasn't for it being on a weekday, and that the London dates are two days in a row. Two GNR gigs in 2016 and two in 2017 I can live well with :D

3 minutes ago, Izzyslash said:

Is it far to the stadium from the city center? Trying to decide whete to stay :)

As for you, I will strongly suggest Copenhagen, as I love that city :) Would go there myself, if it wasn't for it being on a weekday, and that the London dates are two days in a row. Two GNR gigs in 2016 and two in 2017 I can live well with :D

yes its out from the centre but transport is very good when the tube drivers are not on strike. cheap hotels a short ride from the stadium can be found on the net

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Izzyslash said:

The stadium in London is quite a way from the city. Someone else said that it's best to stay reasonably close to the Central tube line as this runs 24hrs from the stadium. Having said that getting cabs or using Uber shouldn't be too much of an issue once leaving the Central line even late at night.

5 hours ago, donny said:

I saw GNR in 2012 at a London arena and now have tickets for London 2017 at a stadium. instead of a second night in London I want to do something different like travel abroad to a gig. im on a budget so japan, aussieland and USA are out. im thinking bilboa, Copenhagen or tel aviv just for the fact I've not been to these cities before and short 3 day package holidays can be had at a reasonable price. whats the advice of those that have "been there, done that" in regards to where, atmosphere, price, transport and that sort of thing ?

If you want something for your money, go to Gadansk. I bought an early entry golden circle ticket for 105 €. Ryanair flies there cheaply and everything else there shouldn't be too expensive either.

Edited by PatrickS77

3 hours ago, alfierose said:

I might be wrong but I think it's fairly easy to travel from Denmark to Sweden and there are 2 days between those shows so you could maybe do both as well as see 2 cities. I did see that Sweden may have sold out already in the general sale but it's possible you could get tickets later on StubHub or similar.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about any of the places other than spending 4 hours in Copenhagen airport once. :lol:

Yeah, very easy to get from Copenhagen to Stockholm by train - maybe only 4 hour trip, and quite cheap IIRC. 

Stockholm is my favorite city anywhere in the world, so that would be my recommendation. But if you could combine it with Copenhagen, then all the better :) 

2 hours ago, alfierose said:

The stadium in London is quite a way from the city. Someone else said that it's best to stay reasonably close to the Central tube line as this runs 24hrs from the stadium. Having said that getting cabs or using Uber shouldn't be too much of an issue once leaving the Central line even late at night.

I stayed right in Stratford when I went to the West Ham v. Juventus match in August. 5 min walk to the stadium, and I didn't find hotels to be more expensive because of the event at all (And keep in mind that was a big event - the inaugural match at Olympic Stadium). Very convenient if you're not fussed about staying in city centre.

9 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I stayed right in Stratford when I went to the West Ham v. Juventus match in August. 5 min walk to the stadium, and I didn't find hotels to be more expensive because of the event at all (And keep in mind that was a big event - the inaugural match at Olympic Stadium). Very convenient if you're not fussed about staying in city centre.

Well, as I have never been to London, other than a few hours, it would be nice to see some of the city during daytime Saturday and Sunday I guess. So needs to be a somewhat central location.

1 hour ago, Izzyslash said:

Well, as I have never been to London, other than a few hours, it would be nice to see some of the city during daytime Saturday and Sunday I guess. So needs to be a somewhat central location.

Stratford is still within the Tube system, so city centre is still quite accessible - probably a 15-20 minute Tube ride for most of the tourist sights. You may pay more for a hotel in city centre, so it depends on if that's of any concern to you.

• Like 1

I've seen GN'R in Denmark, Ireland, Norway, Germany, Belgium, France, UK, Netherlands, USA -Denmark being the roughest audience by far! Only place I had to litterally fight for my spot. Nice atmosphere in the queue everywhere - well, exept for france, but I think that was due to language.

Denmark is not cheap. You can use public transport 24-7, but again, it is not cheap. But I think it's cheaper than London ;)

Parken, where the concert is held at, doesn't have the best reputation, when it comes to sound, but I think that's the same for most stadiums.

I will be there for sure :headbang:

Im only able to do Stockholm & Paris now wanted to do Austira & Zurich but cant cos they mid week shows and got work

Most shows are a week day on this leg my only gripe for me

Poland will be cheap time away cheap flights cheap Hiltons etc 

I think most places are cheap to fly too in EU if booked now Copenhagen and Ireland n Holland etc.

If going to Tel-Aviv, I suggest golden ring (costs 895 Nis which is about 220 Euro), as the General area is quite far and not as enjoyable.

As mentioned, since it is mid July, it could be hot and humid, I myself am praying for a decent weather.