Spider-Man: Homecoming

rocknroll41

i'm sure it'll be good, but there's definitely a bit of fatigue settling in with the constant spider-man reboots in recent years, and i think audiences are feeling the same way. bringing in tony stark was a wise move on marvel's part since that's automatically going to reel in so many more fans of the MCU.

as a total sidenote, i thought it was funny how amazing spider-man was rebooted as a dark, batman-begins style film, but then the avengers came out and the lighter tone of the marvel films became popular, so in the sequel they went back to the bright, colorful aesthetic of the raimi movies and even made the suit brighter. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed it! Extremely well done. His anxiety and skittish-ness can get a little tiresome (as can the best friend) at times, but when you remember he's a 15 year old superhero still learning everything, you let it slide and realize he's actually doing a great job as the character.

I was never bothered by the fact that Stark/Iron Man was in the movie, but he's in it a lot less than I thought he would be. And that's a good thing.

Nothing feels forced, whether it's Iron Man's inclusion or the amount of villains (which most probably won't even realize there's technically more than one villain) and it fits into the MCU perfectly, while setting it up for future solo-movies and his role in future Avengers movies.

Highly recommend if you're a Spider-Man fan and obviously a fan of the MCU!

I do not consider this a "Spider Man" movie. It didn't feel definitive. It didn't try to own Spider Man in the way the last two incarnations did.

It leaned on Marvel the whole way through, nothing wrong with that, but it used it as a crutch and then ran with the crutches. 

The interactive Spider Man suit? C'mon...might has well have been Iron Man. An operating system built into the suit. It just took away from everything that is supposed to be special about Spider Man. He's not a dude with a high tech suit. He's a dude with super powers. 

Iron Man JR? Yes

Spider Man? Didn't feel a bit like it. 

I really enjoyed it. As with most MCU films, I thought the humour was very good (this is the funniest of them all to me), while the action was a bit flat (only MCU film I really enjoyed the action was Civil War). Still very impressive for a film from a director who had made one very low-budget film before. My ideal Spider-Man film would probably be halfway between the humour of this one and the drama and excitement of Raimi's Spider-Man 2. That may partly be down to Spidey being untested in this film, so it'll be interesting to see what Watts does for a sequel.

If I were to rank the Spider-Man films:

1. Spider-Man 2 (some moments which give me chills time and time again, like this:)

2 = Spider-Man

2 = Spider-Man: Homecoming

4. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (I was pleasantly surprised by this one; didn't think it was "amazing", but I still generally had a good time)

5. Spider-Man 3 (there's actually a lot I enjoy about this one, including the dancing/emo Peter scenes, but the general structure falls apart for me)

6. The Amazing Spider-Man (I've seen this once, will never watch again, nothing about it grabbed me apart from the scene where Spidey plays on his phone while sitting in his web)

None of the music for the post-Raimi films have been particularly memorable for me. Really liked Elfman's work on the first two, and it's a shame there was never an official release for Christopher Young's work on Spider-Man 3, his Birth of Sandman piece in particular was beautiful:

Edited by Amir

On 7/8/2017 at 8:14 PM, appetite4illusions said:

I do not consider this a "Spider Man" movie. It didn't feel definitive. It didn't try to own Spider Man in the way the last two incarnations did.

It leaned on Marvel the whole way through, nothing wrong with that, but it used it as a crutch and then ran with the crutches. 

The interactive Spider Man suit? C'mon...might has well have been Iron Man. An operating system built into the suit. It just took away from everything that is supposed to be special about Spider Man. He's not a dude with a high tech suit. He's a dude with super powers. 

Iron Man JR? Yes

Spider Man? Didn't feel a bit like it. 

I don't think it leaned on Marvel at all. The presence of The Avengers was there, obviously, because without them this movie wouldn't have happened. I was surprised at the amount of time that Stark/Iron Man actually weren't in the movie as I expected it to be a lot more.

As for the suit, I suppose I mildly get the gripes about this, but also, Spider-Man never had crazy super powers (until later comics where he got them through other events). His only real spider-like powers are the wall climbing and the "spidey-sense". Everything else started out as being made by himself, and while he obviously doesn't make the suit himself, it's a nice "modern MCU" touch to have Tony (his mentor and the man who notices him) make him a suit that is only suited for a person with his abilities.

With how bad Spider-Man 3 was, and how lackluster both Amazing Spider-Man movies were, they had to make sure they did this correctly, both in terms of a Spider-Man movie, but also fitting him into the MCU, and I think they did a great job with that.