GNR Sells More Than 1 Million Tickets in 24 Hours

Just now, scooby845 said:

sure nothing wrong with that..but from a higher perspective was it really necessary? 

Wasn't necessary to the people who aren't going to those gigs.  But to the ones who are going, we don't care what was necessary or not.  Bottom line, I don't work for the band as no one on this board does.  None of us know why they chose the markets they chose.  They had their reasons and lucky for me, I get to see them again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thunderram said:

And many may not get why you care about the fact that some others care about GNR being the biggest band in the world, you know? To each their own. It goes both ways.

With regard to Coldplay, let's see how their numbers look nearly 30 years after they first broke on to the scene. The fact that GN'R is holding their own without a ton of promotion or a huge piece of the younger millennial fanbase is impressive.

GnR is not even on the "who's the biggest.....blah blah blah, band in the whatever" list. They are currently a very successful touring act based on music they created 25-30 years ago, a spectacular implosion in their prime & a public feud that kept fans waiting 20 years for what is now, a big deal reunion. But... without new music the novelty will wear off, they are not part of the contemporary music landscape. I say this as a massive Guns fan, I fucking hate Coldplay, but they are undeniably, currently, a bigger & more relevant band than GnR. The sustainability of their stock is based on current & future music releases that connect with people NOW. They will continue to sell out stadiums in the years to come. GnR's stock is 100% reunion based & nostalgia driven. Europe is the peak. Even with new music I don't see then repeating the numbers of NITL tour ever again. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

Even with new music I don't see then repeating the numbers of NITL tour ever again.     

I'm on the fence about this part. I think with a big enough hit single, they could pull in the same numbers again here in the states.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm on the fence about this part. I think with a big enough hit single, they could pull in the same numbers again here in the states.

When I say numbers I am talking $$$ more than bums in seats. IMO the ticket prices would have to come down second time around to keep attendance up. 

I'm not sure a big hit single would have me forking out for VIP tickets second time around, not with this line up. Though I would be there. 

Appetite 5 on the other hand I would sell the farm for, I just don't see it happening? Hope I'm wrong. 

1 minute ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

When I say numbers I am talking $$$ more than bums in seats. IMO the ticket prices would have to come down second time around to keep attendance up. 

I'm not sure a big hit single would have me forking out for VIP tickets second time around, not with this line up. Though I would be there. 

Appetite 5 on the other hand I would sell the farm for, I just don't see it happening? Hope I'm wrong. 

I knew you meant money as opposed to attendance numbers. The more I think about it, the more you're probably right though. 

14 minutes ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

Well, with lower prices they could tour South-East Europe for years I guess. South America too... :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Completely necessary as they're further solidifying their legend in the States, a market that nu-Guns failed to keep on its side. 

Each and every show in the US is the GN'R brand restaking it's claim 

Sorry man, but this is terribly over-stated.  

4 hours ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

GnR is not even on the "who's the biggest.....blah blah blah, band in the whatever" list. They are currently a very successful touring act based on music they created 25-30 years ago, a spectacular implosion in their prime & a public feud that kept fans waiting 20 years for what is now, a big deal reunion. But... without new music the novelty will wear off, they are not part of the contemporary music landscape. I say this as a massive Guns fan, I fucking hate Coldplay, but they are undeniably, currently, a bigger & more relevant band than GnR. The sustainability of their stock is based on current & future music releases that connect with people NOW. They will continue to sell out stadiums in the years to come. GnR's stock is 100% reunion based & nostalgia driven. Europe is the peak. Even with new music I don't see then repeating the numbers of NITL tour ever again. 

Well the numbers don't lie.. 

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. Guns will remain the favorite band notwithstanding. It's just a matter of going out there and shoving up into everybody's face like they used to and in their respective manner showing what they are capable of!! Only cause of that I hope they get to the No.1 in tour gross revenue. After all that is absolutely possible if they play Europe and South America 2nd leg.. That's all it is...

Of course, in the success followed by AFD5 and new music, I have no doubt..

44 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

What other reason/s do they have to tour through Bumfuck, USA on this 2nd run except for extra legacy points and a bit of extra dough?

You tell me..

I agree with that....to make extra dough.  None of these places are really in bumfuck, USA (except maybe Hershey).  

I just disagree with the "solidifying legacy" part as I doubt any of them thought....you know if we play Hershey it will help solidify our legacy....I imagine someone thought....there's a 30,000 seat stadium in Hershey we can probably sell out, so let's do that and make some more fucking money.

Edited by tsinindy

i'm sure they need to make a living, but i really do not believe this tour is just for money.  I do believe that Axl still has plenty of creativity and talent and things he wants to do, or he would have just let things go when they broke up years ago. He has said he's got new stuff he's shared with Slash and Duff, it's not over by any means.

17 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I agree with that....to make extra dough.  None of these places are really in bumfuck, USA (except maybe Hershey).  

I just disagree with the "solidifying legacy" part as I doubt any of them thought....you know if we play Hershey it will help solidify our legacy....I imagine someone thought....there's a 30,000 seat stadium in Hershey we can probably sell out, so let's do that and make some more fucking money.

Well of course it's not all going to be about "legacy" per se, of course 3/4s of it has to make good business sense, but in that respect why didn't they book 25 extra Euro dates in places that would be sure fire sellouts with no discounts required in the run up to the gig? Just look at Slane, London et al, phenomenal numbers. The US dates booked for the 2nd leg, not so much, at least now.

What I guess I'm trying to say is they've sacrificed sure fire hard currency in some of these US towns for something more, something that will endear them to perhaps another generation that get to see them live

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Well of course it's not all going to be about "legacy" per se, of course 3/4s of it has to make good business sense, but in that respect why didn't they book 25 extra Euro dates in places that would be sure fire sellouts with no discounts required in the run up to the gig? Just look at Slane, London et al, phenomenal numbers. The US dates booked for the 2nd leg, not so much, at least now.

What I guess I'm trying to say is they've sacrificed sure fire hard currency in some of these US towns for something more, something that will endear them to perhaps another generation that get to see them live

Now....I get what you're saying!   Good point to :)

• Like 1

I did a quick count for the show in my home city of Regina, SK.  I was told capacity is 37700 and there is a approximately 6000 seats left including VIP which means the show is 85% sold out already.  This is a city that only has a population of around 220K with another city Saskatoon, SK being two hours away at 240K. Also with Winnipeg at 6 hours away at 700K+ and Edmonton at 1.1M+ both getting shows means little old Regina is doing pretty good.  Mind you we have always supported Stadium shows in Regina as we have had Rolling Stones (back to back shows), AC/DC, Bon Jovi and Kid Rock, and Paul McCartney here at the old stadium. Now we have a brand new stadium to welcome GnR.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

They ran a story on this on Detroit rock radio today. They were going on about how they can't believe we're not getting a Detroit date this year. 

Well not a single US city got a second leg show so I guess it's not surprising. Why would Detroit think they are so deserving?

9 minutes ago, Captain SK said:

Well not a single US city got a second leg show so I guess it's not surprising. Why would Detroit think they are so deserving?

2 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

I know right?

No clue. I didn't mean to sound like I was siding with them. I was puzzled as to why they were saying it.