GNR Sells More Than 1 Million Tickets in 24 Hours

Just now, RussTCB said:

No clue. I didn't mean to sound like I was siding with them. I was puzzled as to why they were saying it. 

You are right though...it is puzzling cause I have not heard of other cities like San Diego or Seattle etc. asking why not them again. But you would think most cities understand that it is other cities turn..so like they are going to TX again but gonna be in cities they missed in 2016 like San Antonio! :)

14 hours ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

When I say numbers I am talking $$$ more than bums in seats. IMO the ticket prices would have to come down second time around to keep attendance up. 

I'm not sure a big hit single would have me forking out for VIP tickets second time around, not with this line up. Though I would be there. 

Appetite 5 on the other hand I would sell the farm for, I just don't see it happening? Hope I'm wrong. 

The band don't lose money no matter how many people show up - it's up the promoter to pay GnR their nightly fee, and decide on ticket prices based on how much profit they (thepromoter) want to make. GnR make the same money at a 30,000 seater as they do at a 60,000 seater. 

Not picking at you or anything btw, a few people on this forum seem to think GNR have a huge say over their tours and stuff "they should have done this instead of that". Sure, to an extent they can specifically include or exclude given cities, but they don't sit there going "Hmm, what cities should we play next year guys?" That's all on the promoters who approach GNR with dates/venues and GNR say yes or no, or "add this" or "minus that."

When Kid Rock  wanted to make tickets more affordable for his tour he didn't just go and change the ticket price - he can't. He had to lower his fee so that the promoters wouldn't need to set prices so high to make a profit.  

At the end of the day ticket sales/box office etc is of fairly little consequence to the band. Maybe it's in their contracts that they get a % of ticket sales, who knows? But, if GNR's fee is, say, $5 million per night, they make a guaranteed $50 million off a 10-date tour (plus merchandise etc) regardless of who shows up or how much the tour grosses.

21 minutes ago, cremefraiche said:

When Kid Rock  wanted to make tickets more affordable for his tour he didn't just go and change the ticket price - he can't. He had to lower his fee so that the promoters wouldn't need to set prices so high to make a profit.  

Presumably though, he had an agreement with the promoters to cap ticket prices at a certain amount. Otherwise I would think most promoters would be salivating at the idea of increased profits for themselves. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

Presumably though, he had an agreement with the promoters to cap ticket prices at a certain amount. Otherwise I would think most promoters would be salivating at the idea of increased profits for themselves. 

Totally, I doubt he would have agreed to it otherwise. 

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

No clue. I didn't mean to sound like I was siding with them. I was puzzled as to why they were saying it. 

Sorry friend. I knew that and wasn't saying you were. It's just weird was my point :)

Prices in Regina actually went up.  Never seen that in my life actually.  On the floor only the $250 tickets now are $275 and the $150 tickets are now $165.  Plus fees.

16 hours ago, tsinindy said:

I just disagree with the "solidifying legacy" part as I doubt any of them thought....you know if we play Hershey it will help solidify our legacy....I imagine someone thought....there's a 30,000 seat stadium in Hershey we can probably sell out, so let's do that and make some more fucking money.

But the fact that they can sell out a Stadium even in Hershey, BF, USA would help them solidfy their legacy, no? I mean any big act can sell out the big cities. In fact, you don't even have to be that big to be able to do that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cremefraiche said:

The band don't lose money no matter how many people show up - it's up the promoter to pay GnR their nightly fee, and decide on ticket prices based on how much profit they (thepromoter) want to make. GnR make the same money at a 30,000 seater as they do at a 60,000 seater. 

Not picking at you or anything btw, a few people on this forum seem to think GNR have a huge say over their tours and stuff "they should have done this instead of that". Sure, to an extent they can specifically include or exclude given cities, but they don't sit there going "Hmm, what cities should we play next year guys?" That's all on the promoters who approach GNR with dates/venues and GNR say yes or no, or "add this" or "minus that."

At the end of the day ticket sales/box office etc is of fairly little consequence to the band. Maybe it's in their contracts that they get a % of ticket sales, who knows? But, if GNR's fee is, say, $5 million per night, they make a guaranteed $50 million off a 10-date tour (plus merchandise etc) regardless of who shows up or how much the tour grosses.

Not taken in that way at all.

You seem to be making a different point, or I am not understanding how this relates to my opinion? 

All I was trying to say (IMO) is that in their current incarnation, their stock ,or worth, is never going to be greater than it is now. (Now being the 1st run of reunion shows around the globe)

The value of the tour is based on total tickets sold regardless of their cut. Their cut however is very much based on initial calculations of forecasted sales & average ticket price.

Their guaranteed cut will be up for negotiation some point in time. 

I may well be wrong, but whats going to keep interest up after the first run? They could try to capture the market they priced out first go round with cheaper tickets, not saying that's a band decision, it will be a business decision by the promoters & managers. But if for example shows were grossing 6m & the band was getting a 5m contracted cut, if future shows were projected to gross only 4m, you can sure as shit bet Guns wont be offered 5m to play.   

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

But the fact that they can sell out a Stadium even in Hershey, BF, USA would help them solidfy their legacy, no? I mean any big act can sell out the big cities. In fact, you don't even have to be that big to be able to do that.

I see what you're saying....but first off Hershey is within two hours drive of three major markets in the US (Baltimore, DC and Philly), with a couple more about 4 hours away.

So selling 30k there isn't all that difficult honestly, it'd be about as easy as selling out Deer Creek was back in the day (proximity to indy, Cincy, Louisville) with Chicago, Clebeland, Columbus, Nashville and St Louis all within reasonable reach as well.

My point in the legacy was though, they aren't sitting around deciding where to play to cement their legacy.  That just isn't a factor they are considering at this point.  Especially in the US.

Edited by tsinindy

32 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I see what you're saying....but first off Hershey is within two hours drive of three major markets in the US (Baltimore, DC and Philly), with a couple more about 4 hours away.

So selling 30k there isn't all that difficult honestly, it'd be about as easy as selling out Deer Creek was back in the day (proximity to indy, Cincy, Louisville) with Chicago, Clebeland, Columbus, Nashville and St Louis all within reasonable reach as well.

My point in the legacy was though, they aren't sitting around deciding where to play to cement their legacy.  That just isn't a factor they are considering at this point.  Especially in the US.

Yes. But you know how big town folks are. They usually don't like to leave their city. New Yorkers are moaning, when they have to cross the river to see a show in East Rutherford.

When they are counting on the big town folks to go to the small towns, they could have went the easy route and just played those big towns again. But by going to smaller towns, they broaden the impact they have and the people they reach and thus also broaden their legacy.

I'm sure Slash's mission is to reclaim some things and set some others right. The same for Duff. After being reduced to having to play shitholes at times, when they, in a perfect world, could have played stadiums the past 20 years.

Edited by PatrickS77