2018 Travel Thread

Gracii Guns

On 12/27/2016 at 0:41 PM, Gracii Guns said:

What do we all think to this idea? Flights from Edinburgh to New York for under £60.

I'm quite excited, because I've always wanted to visit the USA, but haven't really been able to afford it, or feel that the experience will be good enough to justify the massive expense of just getting there and back. https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/business/britons-fly-us-60-next-summer/

i hope you do come! :) of course i am on the west coastish and not in NY but i think you'd have a good time :D

in the spring i hope to get to the coast...love my mountains but i love the coast as well. plus after living in the high desert seeing all the green plants and springtime flowers really makes me happy. then in August i usually go somewhere that i can enjoy the Perseids meteor shower but since i live here i will probably just see them from my backyard...did that last year and it was great, i saw some spectacular fireballs along with tons of meteors. that way i will hopefully be able to go to El Paso, TX to see GN'R and visit family i have there. in between there are usually trips to Lake Tahoe...idk if that counts as travel cos it's only like a half hour drive but it is so beautiful there :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2016 at 3:41 PM, Gracii Guns said:

What do we all think to this idea? Flights from Edinburgh to New York for under £60.

I'm quite excited, because I've always wanted to visit the USA, but haven't really been able to afford it, or feel that the experience will be good enough to justify the massive expense of just getting there and back.

Heard a lot of good things about Norweigian Air. Never flown them but TPG seems to likethem.  

Edited by kevin

19 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

@Amir Thinking long-term, I'd really like to visit Iran. The flights to Tehran from Amsterdam are attractively (but worryingly) inexpensive. What do you think? 

Funny, few people have asked the same thing past few days. You're married, so if you go with your husband it shouldn't be an issue, though you would have to wear a headscarf. I use Skyscanner for flight price comparisons, I think Pegasus does the cheapest to Tehran. Tehran is interesting but the best place for tourists is Isfahan, Royal Safar does cheap bus tickets from Tehran to Isfahan and the buses are nice (http://en.royall.ir/, though I wouldn't book online because fuck knows how that works). Shiraz has Persepolis, which is worth seeing. Spring is beautiful time to visit, though quite busy (Iranian new year on first day of spring). Summer can be hot south of Tehran.

• Like 1

Just been invited to a wedding in Minnesota this August...if I can get the time off work I'll likely go to California for a week or so and do my veterinary state board exam, weekend in MN for the wedding then back to Cali for a few days before heading home :heart:

Also this option actually would save my husband and I £600 in flights vs going straight to Minnesota and back from the UK :huh:

Edited by Axls Rocket Queen

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2017 at 0:20 PM, Amir said:

Funny, few people have asked the same thing past few days. You're married, so if you go with your husband it shouldn't be an issue, though you would have to wear a headscarf. I use Skyscanner for flight price comparisons, I think Pegasus does the cheapest to Tehran. Tehran is interesting but the best place for tourists is Isfahan, Royal Safar does cheap bus tickets from Tehran to Isfahan and the buses are nice (http://en.royall.ir/, though I wouldn't book online because fuck knows how that works). Shiraz has Persepolis, which is worth seeing. Spring is beautiful time to visit, though quite busy (Iranian new year on first day of spring). Summer can be hot south of Tehran.

I actually do want to visit Iran someday too...but it doen't seem like it'll be happening anytime soon :unsure: 

Decided I'm gonna be driving my entire two weeks in the UK. The car is significantly cheaper to pick up and return in London, as opposed to picking it up a few days later in Glasgow when I really need it. Gonna take advantage of that and hit some sightseeing a bit out of the way on my free days, particularly excited for Portmeirion and Stonehenge (Finally, it'll only have taken seven visits to the UK before I finally get to see it :lol:). Really looking forward to clocking somewhere in the ballpark of 2,000 miles driving on the wrong side of the road too.

Also doing all my US travel plans now as well. My big domestic trip is two weeks in the Southwest, starting in Oklahoma City, and hitting Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Albuquerque, Phoenix, and San Bernardino before ending up in Los Angeles. Planning on hitting plenty of sights down there as well since I'll be driving the whole way, particularly excited for Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon. Also gonna stop at the Four Corners so I can check off Colorado as a new state (Even if it is on a technicality), as well as New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona which will all be new states for me. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

You get bummed at the airport these days.

Graeme will be back. He'll pine for the aroma of the munchy box wafting over the highlands. There will be too many disinterested amigos calling him Ingles.

I once got stopped by the TSA at Seattle airport with a mirror covered in white powder residue in my bag. That was an interesting conversation after a ten hour flight. :lol:

Edited by Dazey