2018 Travel Thread

Gracii Guns

• 2 weeks later...

Climbing this son of a bitch this weekend :D It's Schiehallion, just outside of the Cairngorms in Scotland.

1_6_1l.JPG

I plan to climb it, but it looks really fuckin big in the photo, and I'm sure it will look even bigger when I get their in person :lol: I feel very underprepared.

On 24/04/2017 at 5:26 PM, Gracii Guns said:

Right guys, I'm spending a week in Florida in May. I won't be going to Disneyworld, and apart from the Kennedy Space Center, what else should I do? I'm also visiting Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. 

BRING ME THE FUN!

Wish I could help you out, but the only places I hit in Florida were the themeparks. I did Kennedy Space Center many years ago and it was really good :)

I felt Disney parks were over-rated compared to the Busch/Universal parks. If you go to Busch Gardens I definitely recommend paying that little bit extra to feed the giraffes. The backstage tours at Seaworld are shit so don't pay for those if you go there, I felt like the tanks backstage were far far to small, and I left feeling as though Seaworld is not a company I wanted to support (inspite of it being owned by Busch Gardens, whose other park seemed a lot more invested in the animals welfare). Just my opinion of course, sure you'll have a great time in Florida whatever you do, the locals were all lovely

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 5:26 PM, Gracii Guns said:

Right guys, I'm spending a week in Florida in May. I won't be going to Disneyworld, and apart from the Kennedy Space Center, what else should I do? I'm also visiting Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. 

BRING ME THE FUN!

Please don't do Seaworld, it's cruel and i will tell Matt Sorum!!

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Face facts, kids only want to see Great Whites and giant stingrays and things which kill. Everything else is boredom.

Which is fine, in which case, they can watch Shark Week and such on tv. And maybe gain some more useful insight about the animal in the process. 

But families also like to watch orcas jump up to touch their nose to a red ball, while being held captive in a small tank, dying inside and killing each other.  So sick. In our defense, we just aren't always aware. 

@janrichmond, have you seen that doc? It's so powerful. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Which is fine, in which case, they can watch Shark Week and such on tv. And maybe gain some more useful insight about the animal in the process. 

But families also like to watch orcas jump up to touch their nose to a red ball, while being held captive in a small tank, dying inside and killing each other.  So sick. In our defense, we just aren't always aware. 

I was not aware that there was ethical concerns with these places but I suppose that would be so. I went off circuses in later life, having seen two earlier in my childhood (I have a photo of me on the back of an elephant!).  My mother and sister once visited Edinburgh zoo and all the animals looked melancholic and neglected; none of them could even summon the energy to leave their sleeping areas.

7 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Yes i have seen it and totally agree with you. I hate all forms of animal cruelty, unfortunately tourism keeps places like that going. I get angry thinking about this stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I was not aware that there was ethical concerns with these places but I suppose that would be so. I went off circuses in later life, having seen two earlier in my childhood (I have a photo of me on the back of an elephant!).  My mother and sister once visited Edinburgh zoo and all the animals looked melancholic and neglected; none of them could even summon the energy to leave their sleeping areas.

Yes, people are starting to boycott and petition against circuses and places like Seaworld more and more, because of the deplorable conditions the animals are kept in. They start to lose their minds really. It's such a double-edged sword.. we love to see these animals, and many people become advocates after visiting a zoo or circus, but once it becomes for profit, the animals lose. Some zoos are getting better, providing more space and an enriched environment for them, and in a way, are doing their own part in helping to keep certain species alive. But not every place is like that, which is the problem. 

Off topic, we need to see some pics of your trip! :)

@janrichmond,  the part where they took the baby away and the mother stayed in the corner of the tank and screamed for hours, omg, makes me so ashamed to be human. Jeezus, this topic is too depressing! Sorry for bringing it up. Wait, it was Daisy wasn't it.. I blame him :lol:

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 1:18 PM, janrichmond said:

Yes i have seen it and totally agree with you. I hate all forms of animal cruelty, unfortunately tourism keeps places like that going. I get angry thinking about this stuff.

it upsets me so much i can't watch anything about animal cruelty. i contribute to the Humane Society as much as i can and bring in dog and dog and cat food when i can. and it's not just the fluffy animals; there was a species of black rhino that went extinct just a few years back and it made me SO MAD!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Bloody hell girl you did loads in a week! I bet you slept well every night too. Well done for not doing Seaworld :hug:

Haha, and even in all that… we had one or two quiet days too. There's a couple of things which are too boring to mention… we got a lot done and didn't rush. Had a fabulous host who would drive me everywhere. I'd be stuffed without him! :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

Haha, and even in all that… we had one or two quiet days too. There's a couple of things which are too boring or personal to other folks to mention… we got a lot done and didn't rush. Had a fabulous host who would drive me everywhere. I'd be stuffed without him! :lol:

Where was your poor old fella? Did you ditch the poor bugger at home and bugger off to Florida? :lol:

I'm continuing my fortnightly adventures around Scotland, and heading to Perth this weekend to meet up with an old mate from Uni.

His plan is to get me stoned and take me to see the new Alien movie at the imax :lol: That sounds terrifying beyond words to me. I love those original Alien movies but I've not smoked a joint in a long time. I wouldn't really object to getting stoned if it weren't for the movie :blink: I'm gonna f'n shit myself, high or not, no doubt about it lol.

• Like 1