2018 Travel Thread

Gracii Guns

15 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Gracii's Big Week In Florida

I won't bore you with all the little details, but we visited:

Kennedy Space Center

Nightswimming and star gazing at three fabulous beaches.

I almost fainted at a museum. 

Baseball game in Miami. 

A few hours watching old men play dominoes and chess in Little Havanna. Found a decent wine bar there.

Got to look round a cruise ship in Ft Lauderdale. (Was expecting Girls, Girls, Girls there, but my hopes were dashed).

Went for a leisurely stroll around a nature reserve. It was drought season, so saw mostly some cool looking birds. 

Airboat ride to see all the gators. 

Ate Mexican, seafood and Cajun food. Got to try fried green tomatoes, which were very impressive. Also impressed by the hotdog at the baseball game… it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Saw a rocket launch from near where we were staying. 

All this, and I managed to avoid Disney and Seaworld! 

Best week of my life. 

Sounds like a reasonably good time. Glad to hear you had fun on your trip! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving for Scotland tomorrow! 5 nights of whisky heaven. Going to be hard leaving my little baby girl for that long, but she's safe with mommy. ;) 

We're going with my whisky mates and we'll be staying in Campbeltown (Mull Of Kintyre) and on Islay. Looking to visit:

- Arran Distillery (Isle Of Arran) 

- Springbank / Glengyle (Campbeltown)

- Glen Scotia (Campbeltown)

- Ardbeg (Islay)

- Lagavulin (Islay)

- Caol Ila (Islay)

- Laphroaig (Islay)

- Bruichladdich (Islay)

• Like 1

IMG_3764.JPG

Think this was Daytona. Gorgeously warm sea to soak in, cute little crabs.

fullsizeoutput_375.jpeg

I wanted some real Mexican food. Steak, rice and twice fried beans, which was a step of logic too far for me.

IMG_3772.JPG

Some rockets. IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3798.JPG

IMG_3800.JPG

I promise, I took this pic because I was impressed by the birds nest on top of that signage. Not because of the world's biggest moobs underneath.

IMG_3806.JPG

For the people who wake up one morning, and decide they want a gun in their lives.

IMG_3816.JPG

Adored that view of Miami from the stadium  ballpark.

IMG_3821.JPG

Rocket launch! That was the second greatest thirty seconds of my life. 

IMG_3843.JPG

Big mofo 'gator! 

IMG_3855.JPG

"Stand close enough so we can fit in the picture, but not too close in case someone else thinks we're a couple". 

Cheers @DirtyDeeds. I miss that blue sky!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

That was a great week! Really liked your pictures of the Gun store and the commotion in the street, or birds, or whatever it was. 

Are you sure it wasn't just a Catholic gathering at the Hobby Lobby? :P

I got home from China a week ago and this jet lag is still going strong.

Awesome trip though. A lot of surprises, a lot of beauty. China has about 40x the people that Canada has so it was interesting to see how they manage and plan and the changes in the past twenty years are amazing.  We visited about eight cities. Favourite was Shanghai, loved the Yangzee river, Beijing was also great and so easy to get around on the subway.

We went to The Wall early in the morning and hardly anyone was there so that made the walk/hike/climb extra special.. I have FNH that was diagnosed when I had trouble hiking up Diamond Head in Hawaii, so wasn't sure I would be able to get to the highest parts, but persevered and did it!  It was a huge one for me.. Now I will go back to Diamond Head and finish that one.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Orsys said:

Awesome trip though. A lot of surprises, a lot of beauty. China has about 40x the people that Canada has so it was interesting to see how they manage and plan and the changes in the past twenty years are amazing.  We visited about eight cities. Favourite was Shanghai, loved the Yangzee river, Beijing was also great and so easy to get around on the subway.

We went to The Wall early in the morning and hardly anyone was there so that made the walk/hike/climb extra special.. I have FNH that was diagnosed when I had trouble hiking up Diamond Head in Hawaii, so wasn't sure I would be able to get to the highest parts, but persevered and did it!  It was a huge one for me.. Now I will go back to Diamond Head and finish that one.

Congratulations! That sounds like the trip of a lifetime. And well done for hiking that far! Please let us know how Hawaii round 2 goes. I'm rootin' for you! 

On 6/10/2017 at 7:56 PM, Orsys said:

Glad you had a great time in China - I loved it last year when I visited, and can't wait to go back someday (Luckily I have the ten year visa, so going back will be a piece of cake). I have to say though, I much preferred Beijing to Shanghai. Shanghai was an impressive, modern city. But when I travel I love sightseeing and history, and Beijing is pretty damn hard to top in that regard. 

My next trip is coming up on Saturday already - this one is the Southwest. Starting out in Oklahoma City, and driving down through Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and California, before ending up in LA. Lots of new ground for me to cover on this one; I've been to Oklahoma before (Tulsa though, not OKC), Texas, and LA - everything else on this trip is new. 

49 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Glad you had a great time in China - I loved it last year when I visited, and can't wait to go back someday (Luckily I have the ten year visa, so going back will be a piece of cake). I have to say though, I much preferred Beijing to Shanghai. Shanghai was an impressive, modern city. But when I travel I love sightseeing and history, and Beijing is pretty damn hard to top in that regard. 

My next trip is coming up on Saturday already - this one is the Southwest. Starting out in Oklahoma City, and driving down through Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and California, before ending up in LA. Lots of new ground for me to cover on this one; I've been to Oklahoma before (Tulsa though, not OKC), Texas, and LA - everything else on this trip is new. 

Yes, Beijing was great. We actually spent most of our time there and I feel I know the city layout pretty well after that. Beijing and area has most of what you go to China to see as well.  What was amazing was the growth with all those tall condo buildings in all larger cities. here you see a small cluster of buildings by the lake and say "look at all those condos". But there you see them go on and on. There might be one style of 30 buildings next to another style of 30 buildings and on and on.. We went on the subway once at rush hour and it was where you really experience the population.. It was a sea of people and you had to be pretty assertive.. In Shaghai, there were signs on the roads not to honk your horn and the effect of that was so nice.. Compare this to Miami where people honk just to vent, it felt so civilized in Shanghai by comparison. We felt like there was not a good sense of 24 million living in Shanghai while walking the streets. Nothing seemed busy. but we were told it all happens in the subways.. we were also told that Chonqing, also a large city, was a better city for seeing everyday Chinese life, with less impact from tourism.

My brother is 6'6" and people were amazed to look at him. Many came up to comment that he was so tall and they would stare in the subway.. I found that pretty funny.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
47 minutes ago, username said:

Looking to spend 8 days in December in a warm place with a 10 month old baby. Probably an island where everything is close by (within an hour of driving distance). Considering Lanzarote, Mallorca, Menorca, Kefalonia, or Corfu. Any advice? 

From the ones you mentioned above, i would choose Lanzarote, it will be the warmest one out of these, i've been several times to the Canaries Islands in winter, and it was always warm and sunny but also (sometimes very) windy ! Mallorca and the other Balearic Islands are also nice but not really warm in december - only up to 10°, and in several places the restaurants/shops and also some hotels are closed during december! So the Canaries would be my first choice and Madeira is also a nice destination to escape from our winter !

I've never been to Greece in winter, so:shrugs:

Edited by EricA

• 5 months later...

Still can’t decide whether to buy a car or go on holiday abroad this year.

The original plan was to get the car then Airbnb/hotel in the UK. But it’sso frickin’ expensive. A three night stay in April in a nice town nearby us was over £700. 😳

The only reason I want the car is that not having one is negatively impacting my business. 

If we do get a holiday, the husband wants to go to Poland. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to book an Air BnB for three nights in September for me and my groomsmen surrounding my wedding. Unfortunately after hidden fees and things, the price is twice what is advertised. Feels like it was a big waste. I wanted to be somewhere near the church and have a backyard grill so we could cook out and have some brewskis. I'm tired of shelling out exorbitant fees for every damn thing about this wedding. Looks like I'll be crashing on my parent's floor :lol: