2018 Travel Thread

Gracii Guns

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just at school. I went down the whole academic route, plus general farting around, laziness and drinking.

I remember all the white lads in school being PROPER shit at it.  I mean I weren't all that and I could deal with most of em playing cricket.  No one white ever seemed interested in it, at least not until the early 00s, I guess up north its different.

Edited by Len Cnut

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I remember all the white lads in school being PROPER shit at it.  No one white ever seemed interested in it, at least not until the early 00s, I guess up north its different.

The public schools are different. They produce probably the greatest share of county/test cricketers. It is a bit of a posh boys sport, and even the non-posh Northern lads, people like Joe Root as soon as they are talent spotted, are often put on scholarships by public schools. That is a different route in for people of all social groups, through the county academies - that is something Yorkshire and Durham do very well at. By the time we were at (state) school pretty much everybody (sans the Asians) had ditched cricket for Premiership Football. The Asians sort of keep themselves to themselves, having their own leagues in Yorkshire and Lancashire and not integrating into the mainstream county/England set-up. That is something they're trying to change - obviously the emergence of Asian role models playing for England helps, Moeen Ali and Rashid, etc. 

Today we visited Sheffield. Tomorrow will be Leeds and next weekend we’re in The Toon for my sister’s wedding. 

I have a haif-baked idea to visit Pittsburgh next summer. Flights are inexpensive and I have a place to stay, and a few people to see. 

• 1 month later...

Booked a flight to Prague today for 39 euros. The ride to the airport is probably going to be more expensive than the actual plane tickets.

I haven't been to Prague in over ten years, but it's a beautiful city and I can't wait to wander through those streets again.