2018 Travel Thread

Gracii Guns

We're nearing the end of the year, most folks will have had their holidays by now, thread title changed to accommodate for 2018. Happy travels!

--------------------------

Since the passage of time is upon us… got any travel plans for 2017?

The hubby and I are hoping to spend 4 days relaxing on the south coast in Devon. Nothing further than that planned, so if anyone wants to recommend a place to stay, go ahead.

I'd also like to see more of Europe… heading eastwards this time. Not sure how likely that is as we're on a budget due to the new house. But Amsterdam, Belgium and Denmark are next on my list.

• Like 2

Going to Japan in January for 9 days 

then maybe to Doha for a week in March as my cousin is getting married

London for 6 days and Glasgow for 3 days is also planned for the summer

If I have any money then maybe to Dubai in October.

These are the just solo trips, for the family trip the options are to Turkey or South Africa or Maldives or Romania in October/November, it should be finalized by March/April according to our budget that time. 

I hope all of these trips work out and nothing gets cancelled.

I have unusually little planned for 2017 thus far. I'll be working in Vegas for a couple of weeks which will take me into 2017. Outside of that, I've only got sketchy plans to go to Minneapolis while GN'R is there. I plan on touring Paisley Park at the same time. 

I'm sure I'll probably travel for quite a few other shows during the year too, but as of now I have nothing planned. Last year, I had at least 6 months of shows planned by now so this is a strange feeling for me. My wife REALLY wants to visit the Harry Potter theme park in Orlando, so we may end up doing that in the early part of the year but that's not even been talked about yet.

2017 marks our first year with a baby. We probably won't take any trips in June like most years since we'll have a 3,5 month old by then. So we're aiming for September. Any advice on where to go with a 6 month old? We were considering relaxed places like Greece, the Canary Islands or maybe southern Portugal. Any other ideas and advice are very welcome. 

I'll be in the UK for two and a half weeks in May, including my first time in Scotland. I'll be hitting Iceland for a few days on the way home from that trip. And then I'll likely be back over in Europe for a week of Steve Harris solo gigs since I had so much doing them last week in Ireland - I'll have to see when/where dates get announced for that. 

So not too crazy after this year!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2016 at 4:08 AM, Powerage5 said:

including my first time in Scotland.

I hope you have a ball. I'd offer to do a bit of tour guide stuff, but unfortunately my own travel plans kinda prohibit that.

I'm aiming to be in Mexico for the first half of the year, end of January until July, doing some applied volcanology. Hopefully it'll be a blast.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I hope you have a ball. I'd offer to do a bit of tour guide stuff, but unfortunately my own travel plans kinda prohibit that.

I'm aiming to be in Mexico for the first half of the year, end of January until July, doing some applied volcanology. Hopefully it'll be a blast.

Not literally I'm hoping. :lol:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Thanks! Was actually gonna see if you'd be around, thought it would be cool to meet up. Guess I'll just have to get back to Scotland someday ;)

Really excited though, Scotland has been on my bucket list for some time.

Just now, Dazey said:

Not literally I'm hoping. :lol:

Well, it'd be kinda boring if the volcano did nothing while I was there... Some blasts would be welcome as long as I'm not in a risky locale at the time.

Just now, Powerage5 said:

Thanks! Was actually gonna see if you'd be around, thought it would be cool to meet up. Guess I'll just have to get back to Scotland someday ;)

Really excited though, Scotland has been on my bucket list for some time.

If you need any advice on places to go/things to do then I'm more than happy to oblige. Whereabouts are you thinking of staying and what would you like to fit in seeing?

7 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Well, it'd be kinda boring if the volcano did nothing while I was there... Some blasts would be welcome as long as I'm not in a risky locale at the time.

If you need any advice on places to go/things to do then I'm more than happy to oblige. Whereabouts are you thinking of staying and what would you like to fit in seeing?

As much as I can :lol: 

I'll be renting a car for at least my time in Scotland - I drove on the left for the first time in Ireland earlier this month and I was pretty comfortable with it. The gigs are May 16th in Glasgow, and May 17th in Aberdeen, so those two days are accounted for. I'll get to Glasgow at some point on the 15th (I'll be at the Newcastle gig on the 14th), and the next gig after Aberdeen is Liverpool on the 20th. So I'm thinking I may spend the night of the 18th in Edinburgh, and just squeeze in any sights worth seeing in my travels between those three cities. Everyone tells me the most exciting bits of Scotland are outside the cities.

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I'll be renting a car for at least my time in Scotland - I drove on the left for the first time in Ireland earlier this month and I was pretty comfortable with it. The gigs are May 16th in Glasgow, and May 17th in Aberdeen, so those two days are accounted for. I'll get to Glasgow at some point on the 15th (I'll be at the Newcastle gig on the 14th), and the next gig after Aberdeen is Liverpool on the 20th. So I'm thinking I may spend the night of the 18th in Edinburgh, and just squeeze in any sights worth seeing in my travels between those three cities. Everyone tells me the most exciting bits of Scotland are outside the cities.

Try to fit in Middlesbrough on your way from Aberdeen to Liverpool. Club Bongo is a must see! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Try to fit in Middlesbrough on your way from Aberdeen to Liverpool. Club Bongo is a must see! :lol:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/everyone-knows-club-bongo-you-11363355

Is that the place? What's so special about it?

By the way, thinking of maybe hitting Manchester en route to Liverpool. If you're gonna be around on the 19th, I'd love to meet up :) 

56 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

K, so your longest stretch of time is between the Aberdeen gig and heading back to England for the Liverpool gig. The "most exciting" bits of Scotland are generally all on the West Coast (not that I'm a biased West Coaster or anything, the East Coast is lovely, but it's got much...err... "gentler" scenery). The thing about your schedule is that it takes you to Glasgow and very quickly up to Aberdeen after that (it's about a 3 hour drive if the roads are clear), so if you were to stick to your plan of Glasgow 15th-16th, Aberdeen 17th, Edinburgh 18th and then presumably heading down to England for the 19th/20th then your time on the West Coast is very short and more-or-less entirely city-based. Being in Aberdeen and then Edinburgh would, by necessity, keep you on the East Coast, you could stop off in Fife and see St. Andrews' or visit Dundee or Stonehaven or Montrose, all little seaports. You could go over the Forth bridges to Edinburgh, which is quite spectacular.

Alternatively, if you were feeling adventurous, you could take advantage of having quite a long time between the Aberdeen and Liverpool gigs and drive over to Inverness, then take the A82 down the side of Loch Ness to Fort William and onward to Glasgow through Crianlarich (one of the routes highlighted in gold on this map). This is definitely one of the most spectacular road journeys in Scotland and would take you past Ben Nevis, our highest mountain and Loch Lomond, our biggest loch. The whole thing would take about 8 hours tops, you'll get plenty of daylight for it at that time of the year and if you're really determined to see Edinburgh, it's only an extra 50 minutes onto your journey once you get back to Glasgow. Something to think about anyway.

tourmap.png 

9 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/everyone-knows-club-bongo-you-11363355

Is that the place? What's so special about it?

By the way, thinking of maybe hitting Manchester en route to Liverpool. If you're gonna be around on the 19th, I'd love to meet up :) 

I was kidding about The Bongo, it's a shit hole. :lol:

Mnachester sounds like fun though. Let me know if you can make it. 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

What do we all think to this idea? Flights from Edinburgh to New York for under £60.

I'm quite excited, because I've always wanted to visit the USA, but haven't really been able to afford it, or feel that the experience will be good enough to justify the massive expense of just getting there and back. https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/business/britons-fly-us-60-next-summer/

• Like 1

For work, Germany a few times, Budapest, China.  Probably throw Palo Alto / LA in there too.

For personal trips, gotta figure out where to go for our honeymoon... thinking of Paris, Rome, Athens right now over ~2 weeks.   Want to do a trip to Banff / Lake Louise  but not sure if we will get to that this year.

• Like 1