Retro Gaming Machine, over 500 games for less than $20

Iron MikeyJ

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Here is my MAME Arcade machine I made myself for less than $20. If I can do it, you can too. Better than the NES Classic or any other store bought machine.

I will pay you at least $30 to build one for me and I'll even come pick it up. Serious offer!

• Like 2

Ya sorry guys, I had to sorta "click bait" the title, it's one of YouTube's tricks of you want to get noticed. So yes the $20 is predicated on a couple of factors.

1. You have a windows XP (or better) PC 

2. A TV with VGA inputs

3. XBox 360 controllers and the USB adapter.

But yes if you guys can provide me with those 3 things, I would hook You guys up.

(well you don't have to bring me the TV, I can use my own, lol).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Ya sorry guys, I had to sorta "click bait" the title, it's one of YouTube's tricks of you want to get noticed. So yes the $20 is predicated on a couple of factors.

1. You have a windows XP (or better) PC 

2. A TV with VGA inputs

3. XBox 360 controllers and the USB adapter.

But yes if you guys can provide me with those 3 things, I would hook You guys up.

(well you don't have to bring me the TV, I can use my own, lol).

Don't you just need a PC and a free copy of MAME?

@Dazey,

In order to just play Arcade games, yes. But you will need other emulators for all the different systems. Also it won't really "feel" like a proper arcade machine, it'll still feel like a PC you are playing games on. You need a Front End to really makes the thing shine. That's where the majority of the work goes. 

Before I put the work into this machine, I did just play the games off of an emulator with a usb controller. So yes that is possible, and is essentially the simplest form of it. I wanted a discussion piece, something that draws attention at a party, or draws interest in the internet. That's where the work really goes. The last party I had (for my son's bday) I had a group of people huddled around it, watching the videos, and asking questions about it. I even had a few friends try it out. You won't really get that with using a mouse to click icons in a screen. My machine really does "feel" like a retro gaming arcade machine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13.12.2016 at 7:30 AM, Dazey said:

Don't you just need a PC and a free copy of MAME?

That was exactly my thought, looks just like an ordinary emulator. :)

All you need are some emulators imo, VICE for C64/C128, WinUAE for Amiga (you need kickstart to run it though, if you don't own an Amiga and take the kickstart from that, downloading kickstart would be illegal to my knowledge), Project 64 for N64....

Then you just make copies of your software and use it; if you do own the originals, you can also just download the roms from plenty of websites.

I wouldn't pay a penny for something you can easily do own your own, don't even need much computer knowledge for it. The only pro this stuff may have is that you can run multiple platforms using just one emulator. It's a "multiple platforms emulator", nothing else.

PS: Don't play Atari, stuff with an xbox controller, that's not retro at all. You want to use something like this: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scan.co.uk%2Fimages%?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flashbackgames.co.uk

PPS: The mouse existed for Amiga and even for C64. I operated my Amiga using a mouse and even used one for some C64 stuff. For consoles, maybe, depending on the system (however, an xbox controller does not fit to an NES or SNES either ;) ), but for old home computers using a mouse wasn't unusual at all.

Edited by Zurimor

I don't know... my store bought Nintendo 64 and Super NES consoles seem to do the retro thing pretty decently. ;)

Wow, it feels weird calling the Nintendo 64 retro. I remember when it's horribly rendered 3D graphics were hot shit.

But on a serious note, cool concept on your console! Almost like a hybrid of emulators and console with a practical purpose.