anyone surprised how big gnr is again but having released so little music

Not surprising. They were the biggest band in the world when they left the scene, and are still huge. Their albums and persona made a bigger impact in just a few years than most bands of made with long years of activity. 

Had Axl never continued on with the GNR name and had stayed disappeared, this reunion would have been even bigger. All shows would have sold out in minutes. 

They are just a timeless band, with timeless music. AFD is the most powerful hard rock record ever. That thing will be playing a 100 years from now. 

The only thing about this reunion is I wish Axl's voice was stronger. It would have been cool if Axl would have maintained himself like Mick Jaggar has, and not changed so much. 

• Like 4

Just now, scooby845 said:

nope.. never was surprised about that..

I don't care what anyone thinks but GnR has always been the biggest and the epitome of rock band ever, even bigger than Stones or U2 or Led Zeppelin or Queen for me..

Their career did not revolve around 50 years of 'getting by' - an ordinary cycle; release, tour etc...

They came, conquered like a lightning in a bottle, priceless display of a unique occurrence in rock world..

After all, Slash said the same thing in his biography...something like 'what we achieved in years, others (Stones) have worked for decades...'

That sums it up...no?

THIS,  exactly THIS.

And this current huuugge succes is the undisputable proove of it.

Like kurt loader said once: some might like them, some other might hate them,  but no other band in history can be compared to them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I've always believed that if they had somehow found a way to stick together in the mid-nineties and continued releasing music that today they'd always be mentioned in the same sentence as The Stones, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, etc...

They've been back at it one year with what's a greatest hits tour (and I'm not saying that to knock it) and still pulling in the big crowds. Somehow, even without a massive back catalogue, the band has never faded. The music they've released has truly stood the test of time.

Most of my friends and family would say that GNR is above at least Aerosmith on that list, and at least included in discussions with the other two.   

• Like 1

In my opinion this is the last great hype surrounding this band - it will not get any better than nowadays

After the 2017 leg of the tour they should either release an album or drop ticket prices to still be able to sell out big venues - but reunion factor will be over after it...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, donny said:

they are a massive band but have they got bigger from a few years ago ? they just sold out an 80,000 capacity venue in the uk. GNR sold 80,000 tickets in 2012 in the uk without slash, duff and all the hype

I doubt they're selling out stadiums in North America without Slash/Duff. 

14 hours ago, Mendez said:

I disagree. Probably in the case of rock bands who have cemented their legacy. But to hip hop/rap/pop fans, then yes it is. When new music in those genres drops, alot of people who listen to those genres listen to it.

Some artists still want to be relevant...other is just nostalgia acts...simple like that

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

I've always believed that if they had somehow found a way to stick together in the mid-nineties and continued releasing music that today they'd always be mentioned in the same sentence as The Stones, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, etc...

They've been back at it one year with what's a greatest hits tour (and I'm not saying that to knock it) and still pulling in the big crowds. Somehow, even without a massive back catalogue, the band has never faded. The music they've released has truly stood the test of time.

I wonder if the long break up insulated them from the tragedy of time - that maybe it was almost better they broke up and went away?

That the band kind of meandered through the weird post-grunge era of the 90's and basically went dormant for much of the 2000's - that all that time away kept them safe from the lame myopic music scene the last 20 + years

18 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

compared to stones black sabbath led zeppelin floyd fuck almost the doors 

GNR are still fucking huge were only popular from 87-94 

does this make any sense to their true potential and hopefully not because of their underachievements, still time to release new stuff 

You need 2 great rock albums to be 'big'. GnR had that + 2 iconic and charismatic members with Slash + Axl + 3 or 4 epic music videos + they were the best live rock band in the early 90s.

So...not surprised. 

55 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

How the fuck are GnR anywhere near the level of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones? 

Not sure why you have Pink Floyd in the same breath as the other two.  If put them on similar footing as GnR myself, though they get some extra credit points for being genre pioneers.  

I dunno, all this gets very subjective.  I personally wouldn't put GnR in that "top tier", but second tier for sure and maybe the the very top of the second tier.  

Not surprised. The music has always found fans. AFD has always been popular. UYI have always been big. At one time people claimed people hated GNR and people claimed they were embarrassed to say they wer GNR fans. Bullshit. Like those damn closet Trump voters :lol: Plus, Axl and Slash are just a great story, and they look so good together on stage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Not surprised. The music has always found fans. AFD has always been popular. UYI have always been big. At one time people claimed people hated GNR and people claimed they were embarrassed to say they wer GNR fans. Bullshit. Like those damn closet Trump voters :lol: Plus, Axl and Slash are just a great story, and they look so good together on stage.

yes. yes. yes.yes. YES. yes and yes ;)

12 hours ago, donny said:

they are a massive band but have they got bigger from a few years ago ? they just sold out an 80,000 capacity venue in the uk. GNR sold 80,000 tickets in 2012 in the uk without slash, duff and all the hype

for one show? in 2012? 80K tix? Prove it.

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

Not sure why you have Pink Floyd in the same breath as the other two.  If put them on similar footing as GnR myself, though they get some extra credit points for being genre pioneers.  

I dunno, all this gets very subjective.  I personally wouldn't put GnR in that "top tier", but second tier for sure and maybe the the very top of the second tier.  

I don't think I get what you said here. Pink Floyd is on similar footing as GnR for you?

1 minute ago, jmapelian said:

for one show? in 2012? 80K tix? Prove it.

He didn't say it was for one show, he said that they sold 80k tickets there. Probably in 7-8 arena shows 

1 minute ago, Nicklord said:

I don't think I get what you said here. Pink Floyd is on similar footing as GnR for you?

He didn't say it was for one show, he said that they sold 80k tickets there. Probably in 7-8 arena shows 

Yeah, but fake GnR in 2012 could not sell out a 80K seat stadium in one day.  

To compare selling 80K tix across a number of shows is a completely different animal than selling out 80K in a day and having to add another date to accomodate the demand.

20 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

compared to stones black sabbath led zeppelin floyd fuck almost the doors 

GNR are still fucking huge were only popular from 87-94 

does this make any sense to their true potential and hopefully not because of their underachievements, still time to release new stuff 

G n R are not, never have been, nor ever will be in the same league as The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. Come on, man.

13 hours ago, scooby845 said:

I don't care what anyone thinks but GnR has always been the biggest and the epitome of rock band ever, even bigger than Stones or U2 or Led Zeppelin or Queen for me..

I think your belief they are the "biggest rock band ever" is not widely held. I can think of at least a half dozen bigger rock acts off the top of my head. Biggest rock act since 1985? Arguably so. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

I think your belief they are the "biggest rock band ever" is not widely held. I can think of at least a half dozen bigger rock acts off the top of my head. Biggest rock act since 1985? Arguably so. 

I can agree with that to a certain extent..

1 minute ago, SteveAJones said:

G n R are not, never have been, nor ever will be in the same league as The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. Come on, man.

I agree except for the "never will be" -part. Cause we don't know. If GNR ends up recording many more classic albums, there's a good chance that they might end up in the same league as those bands mentioned.

But of course they're not acting like they're releasing new albums any time soon, so it's not looking very likely at the moment.

59 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Yes, correct and if they weren't a genre pioneer (psychedelic rock) they wouldn't be on the same footing as GnR as I'm giving them bonus points for that.  

Edited by tsinindy

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

Yes, correct.    

How? Pink Floyd have 3rd best selling album of all time and sold 200m+ albums while GnR is on around 100m albums sold. Roger Waters The Wall tour is 3rd biggest tour ever. Actually Pink Floyd tour that happened a year after UYI tour was better selling tour than UYI tour when GnR was the biggest band on the planet as people say here usually. 

27 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

How? Pink Floyd have 3rd best selling album of all time and sold 200m+ albums while GnR is on around 100m albums sold. Roger Waters The Wall tour is 3rd biggest tour ever. Actually Pink Floyd tour that happened a year after UYI tour was better selling tour than UYI tour when GnR was the biggest band on the planet as people say here usually. 

How?  Because it's my opinion.  There are no metrics for these things.  So, it's all opinion.