anyone surprised how big gnr is again but having released so little music

1 minute ago, Nicklord said:

Actually there are metrics to see which band is bigger. Better, not really but bigger, yeah

No, there really aren't.  So, while you want to compare Pink Floyd's hyper-priced stadium tour to GnR's tour that was infinitely cheaper per ticket and covered a larger span of the globe, they aren't the same.   

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

I agree except for the "never will be" -part. Cause we don't know. If GNR ends up recording many more classic albums, there's a good chance that they might end up in the same league as those bands mentioned.

Come on, man. Think about what you just posted. Axl Rose is soon to be 55 YEARS OLD and it took him what, 13 YEARS to record and release Chinese Democracy. How many albums did GnR release IN THEIR PRIME? Something like three in seven years. What do you think the odds are of GnR releasing one GREAT new album in the next seven years? I'm thinking 40/60. Three?! 2/98. Not to mention they'd all have to be great, classic albums in a time and industry that is not conducive to releasing great, classic albums. So at best the odds are we'd get three on par with Slash's solo stuff--very good albums but they'll never be mistaken for EXILE ON MAIN STREET, LED ZEPPELIN IV or even APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION. 

This video features a Legendary, Top Tier, All Time Great There is No Doubt About It Band...with two members of who are ARGUABLY with rock's greatest act since 1985.

21 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

No, there really aren't.  So, while you want to compare Pink Floyd's hyper-priced stadium tour to GnR's tour that was infinitely cheaper per ticket and covered a larger span of the globe, they aren't the same.   

It was overpriced and still sold way way more tickets than GnR/Metallica tour in USA. I'll compare that. What about Roger Waters The Wall tour, that one went all over the world and sold 4m tickets and that's only one (one of 2 most famous members) of 4 members of Pink Floyd? What about album sales, I mean 2:1 difference isn't small?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

It was overpriced and still sold way way more tickets than GnR/Metallica tour in USA. I'll compare that. What about Roger Waters The Wall tour, that one went all over the world and sold 4m tickets and that's only one (one of 2 most famous members) of 4 members of Pink Floyd? What about album sales, I mean 2:1 difference isn't small?

Dude, go circle jerk everyone on the Floyd board bc I don't fucking care.   And of course the album sales are different.  That record has 20 more years of sales to depend on.  Good grief.  You wanna make a legit argument talk Bon Jovi or something.  Jesus.

12 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Dude, go circle jerk everyone on the Floyd board bc I don't fucking care.   And of course the album sales are different.  That record has 20 more years of sales to depend on.  Good grief.  You wanna make a legit argument talk Bon Jovi or something.  Jesus.

:lol: Why are you mad? I mean, not that being just bellow "godlike tier" is a bad thing, it's just a fact that GnR aren't on the same level as Pink Floyd in terms of following, tours, albums sold and influence on music scene and shows. But that doesn't mean that GnR is a garage band or that GnR doesn't have huge following, 100m albums sold, big tours... 

• Like 3

I would say it's a surprise about the way this thing grows.

No promotion (just some social media stuff, ok) no interviews, nothing. They are LIVING it. WE are LIVING it and it's awesome.

I think most of the people really wanna hear good music. Pure, dirty hard rock stuff.

Also a lot of (young) people wanna see how's the "most dangerous band in the world" they hear all the time looks like.

32 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

:lol: Why are you mad? I mean, not that being just bellow "godlike tier" is a bad thing, it's just a fact that GnR aren't on the same level as Pink Floyd in terms of following, tours, albums sold and influence on music scene and shows. But that doesn't mean that GnR is a garage band or that GnR doesn't have huge following, 100m albums sold, big tours... 

Because it's not a fact it's your opinion which is totally fine.  I'm not the one trying to change anyone's opinion...you are.

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

Because it's not a fact it's your opinion which is totally fine.  I'm not the one trying to change anyone's opinion...you are.

I'd say its indisputable that the legacy, influence, and impact of Pink Floyd is far far far greater than Guns N' Roses.

Like the dude said, its even pretty measurable. In fact I think the only place someone would compare the legacy of the two bands as being anywhere close to equal is right here on this forum. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Not sure why you have Pink Floyd in the same breath as the other two.  If put them on similar footing as GnR myself, though they get some extra credit points for being genre pioneers.  

I dunno, all this gets very subjective.  I personally wouldn't put GnR in that "top tier", but second tier for sure and maybe the the very top of the second tier.  

ya my opinion is the following 

1. Pink Floyd 

2. The Doors 

3. GNR 

4. Bowie

5. Zeppelin

GNR beats zeppelin solely on Axl and Slash, they cannot out do the genius of Jim morrison, ray and krieger and certainly nobody can touch Floyd for what they accomplished. and bowie beats zeppelin based on how long his career was and how much quality music he released 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

39 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

I'd say its indisputable that the legacy, influence, and impact of Pink Floyd is far far far greater than Guns N' Roses.

Like the dude said, its even pretty measurable. In fact I think the only place someone would compare the legacy of the two bands as being anywhere close to equal is right here on this forum. 

That's the thing I'm not saying they aren't equal or close.  But I'm getting the impression he's arguing Floyd is greater. That's where o disagree, I just don't see it.  But info with his opinion.

17 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

ya my opinion is the following 

1. Pink Floyd 

2. The Doors 

3. GNR 

4. Bowie

5. Zeppelin

GNR beats zeppelin solely on Axl and Slash, they cannot out do the genius of Jim morrison, ray and krieger and certainly nobody can touch Floyd for what they accomplished. and bowie beats zeppelin based on how long his career was and how much quality music he released 

This is...insane lol.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Come on, man. Think about what you just posted. Axl Rose is soon to be 55 YEARS OLD and it took him what, 13 YEARS to record and release Chinese Democracy. How many albums did GnR release IN THEIR PRIME? Something like three in seven years. What do you think the odds are of GnR releasing one GREAT new album in the next seven years? I'm thinking 40/60. Three?! 2/98. Not to mention they'd all have to be great, classic albums in a time and industry that is not conducive to releasing great, classic albums. So at best the odds are we'd get three on par with Slash's solo stuff--very good albums but they'll never be mistaken for EXILE ON MAIN STREET, LED ZEPPELIN IV or even APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION. 

This video features a Legendary, Top Tier, All Time Great There is No Doubt About It Band...with two members of who are ARGUABLY with rock's greatest act since 1985.

The night Axl blew Mick off the stage. Great video, thanks for posting.

This is from September 9th 2016

So far Guns 'N'Roses NITL Tour has currently grossed $116 million and counting for a total of 21 stadium dates. This makes GNR, far-and-away, the highest grossing touring act of the year. To put it in perspective, Bruce Springsteen is in second place with "only" $33 million in earnings. 

12 hours ago, Dan H. said:

I hate Pink Floyd more than perhaps any other band i can think of...but all of the above is entirely true.

12 hours ago, Nicklord said:

So I have a funny ending to this discussion, I was out with a buddy last night, big music guy, fairly diverse taste, likes a lot of everything, is in a band.  Happens to be who I hung out with at my first GnR Deer Creek show in 1991.  I was only 20 at the time, he's a year older, so bought me lots of beers....

anyway, I'm telling him about our discussion and he just looks at me and says, "Of course Pink Floyd is a bigger band than Guns N Roses you dumbass".  lol, so I just said, "well yah fuck you too" :)

Edited by tsinindy