I held Guns N' Roses together when they were ‘the most dangerous band in the world' -Sorum

Isn't this the same guy that locked himself in his own cupboard with a bag of Charlie when slash found him when they were trying to record illusions? ? not sure he held anything together lol 

i don't find anything he said offensive, and I'd still put him in front of frank as far as relevance is concerned to this tour. 

As far as which era was the greatest, that UYI tour will probably go down as the defining tour of gnr history for so many reasons, as for which era was the greatest that's completely arguable and has been done to death on here previously so no point getting into that. 

19 minutes ago, Chris 55 said:

No one on this forum was there/alive then so they can't really call bullshit on him

What? You don't think there are people here who were alive and well and following Guns n' Roses during Sorum's stint with them? You must be joking.

Sorum is entitled to his opinion, but he doesn't explain HOW he held them together. If's it simply that he's a reliable and versatile drummer, those are a dime a dozen.

Personally, I prefer Frank Ferrer.

“Everything was so much different than what I expected. I thought I was walking into a straight-up rock band, a crossbreed of AC/DC and Aerosmith, mixed with the Sex Pistols and Nazareth.

“Along came pianos and these epic 10-minute opuses. I was surprised.”

These quotes from this interview exemplify my problem with Sorum, he always wants to bash the ballads, the piano, etc, which he did here.  Basically, he wants everyone to know that just in case people think GNR got soft with the UYI albums, that he had nothing to do with it, since he's clearly too much of a bad ass to be on stage with a piano.  

Come on dude, yes on average AFD was a harder album, but they were also playing Patience at most shows before he was in the band.  Besides, what exactly is the problem?  Does he also think Zeppelin sold out or went soft with stairway?  Thats what always made GNR so great imo, they did the songs they wanted, they were never afraid to show actual human emotion in the lyrics, and they didn't give a fuck about what anyone thought about it, and I'm certain that includes Matt Sorum.

• Like 3

probably right.

If you were there a fan during the UYI's you would understand, don't know how many ppl here are or had been...

Matt replaced Steve when they needed most, brought in perfect sound and went on to tour those 2 monumental albums on a monster tour.

If it wasn't for Matt, Axl would have fled Mannheim and the band would had been burned with Rose in jail.

once Slash left, Matt tried talking Ax to return Slash...

so yeah, probably right over all

10 hours ago, AFD5 said:

I'm sure I rember him having a drink & drug addiction to equal Duff & Slash. Apparently he partied just as hard, I'm not sure that would constitute as keeping them together.

I remeber hearing him bragging about how he brought cocaine into the mix as opposed to heroin

There's nothing wrong with this interview. I don't even think he is saying all this in a smug or arrogant way either. Granted, it is difficult to understand emotions through text, but his comments could be much worse and much more severe.

By the way, Axl himself said Sorum's involvement was a 'miracle', and that he 'saved the band's life':

28 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

There's nothing wrong with this interview. I don't even think he is saying all this in a smug or arrogant way either. Granted, it is difficult to understand emotions through text, but his comments could be much worse and much more severe.

By the way, Axl himself said Sorum's involvement was a 'miracle', and that he 'saved the band's life':

Amazing how this interview takes you right back... to a time when, for me personally, everything was fresh and new... and it's scary to think that it's almost 30 years ago.

7 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Even if Frank is an inferior drummer, I prefer him for the fact that he doesn't bitch about playing some of the greatest GNR songs and claiming to keep Guns together. What's next, Chris Pitman claiming he was the reason for the reunion?

Brain > Sorum

Frank doesn't 'bitch' because Frank has nothing to bitch about! Frank wasn't the drummer who played with GNR at the height of their greatness! Frank wasn't the drummer when stupid shit with members of the band caused the greatest band in the world to break up! Frank had nothing to do with GNR apart from 5 songs of CD and years as a session drummer!

I don't mean anything against Frank but to write off Sorum's contribution to GNR is fucking dumb - if you do you obviously know nothing about GNR! Sorum has contributed more to GNR than any other member apart from the slash/axl/duff/izzy/adler! Sorum wrote (95% i'm sure) and recorded the drum parts on UYI I and II! 

• Like 1

my 2 pence worth.

do I rate sorum ? yes

can sorum handle sell out stadiums around the world ? yes, he proved that 25 years ago

is sorum telling the truth in the article about being ok with it ? NO he's lying. for someone that put so much effort in to those epic songs like estranged(don't forget the dolphins) and the rest of the UYI albums and tour he must find it gut wrenching to have no part in this reunion.

will sorum play live with the big 3 again ? yes

do I want to see sorum in London next year ? no, I want to see ADLER.

why ? because 2017 is AFD 30th anniversary. I want to see those 5 original AFD guys turning the clock back and giving the world some shows to remember and sorum should have no part in this.

sorum in 2018 ? I would love to see him back playing with the big 3 and I'm sure many millions of other GNR fans would give him a warm welcome back(and a new album would be nice)

maybe in 2018 GNR will announce some special guests onstage so AXL, SLASH, DUFF, SORUM, FORTUS, ASHBA, BUMBLEFOOT, REED and that fit emo chick can blast out a 15 minute long version of the new single THE GENERAL :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donny said:

my 2 pence worth.

do I rate sorum ? yes

can sorum handle sell out stadiums around the world ? yes, he proved that 25 years ago

is sorum telling the truth in the article about being ok with it ? NO he's lying. for someone that put so much effort in to those epic songs like estranged(don't forget the dolphins) and the rest of the UYI albums and tour he must find it gut wrenching to have no part in this reunion.

will sorum play live with the big 3 again ? yes

do I want to see sorum in London next year ? no, I want to see ADLER.

why ? because 2017 is AFD 30th anniversary. I want to see those 5 original AFD guys turning the clock back and giving the world some shows to remember and sorum should have no part in this.

sorum in 2018 ? I would love to see him back playing with the big 3 and I'm sure many millions of other GNR fans would give him a warm welcome back(and a new album would be nice)

maybe in 2018 GNR will announce some special guests onstage so AXL, SLASH, DUFF, SORUM, FORTUS, ASHBA, BUMBLEFOOT, REED and that fit emo chick can blast out a 15 minute long version of the new single THE GENERAL :) 

i agree theres no way he's not bitter 

its a negotiating tactic 

like when izzy spoke out on twitter 

my guess is the two show up somewhere along the line in the next 2 tours who knows order or whatever but something else will have to happen 

5 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i agree theres no way he's not bitter 

its a negotiating tactic 

like when izzy spoke out on twitter 

my guess is the two show up somewhere along the line in the next 2 tours who knows order or whatever but something else will have to happen 

izzy will be around in 2017. he cant not be.

ive seen GNR 3 times since izzy left the band and he's been at all 3 concerts. first was in 93 when gilby Clarke broke his wrist and twice in 2012. in 2012 he turned up just because he's an old mate of axl(40 years at least) and a founding member of the band. he's just playing hard to get now but will be around in 2017