I held Guns N' Roses together when they were ‘the most dangerous band in the world' -Sorum

11 hours ago, paulor666 said:

I don't mean anything against Frank but to write off Sorum's contribution to GNR is fucking dumb - if you do you obviously know nothing about GNR! Sorum has contributed more to GNR than any other member apart from the slash/axl/duff/izzy/adler! Sorum wrote (95% i'm sure) and recorded the drum parts on UYI I and II! 

Of course he played on the Illusions except Civil War, but how he wrote 95% of the drum parts? Most of the songs were written before he joined and there are demo tapes with Steven. Matt himself has said he had to learn to play the songs, he hasn't said anything about writing.

12 hours ago, liqddynamite said:

“Everything was so much different than what I expected. I thought I was walking into a straight-up rock band, a crossbreed of AC/DC and Aerosmith, mixed with the Sex Pistols and Nazareth.

“Along came pianos and these epic 10-minute opuses. I was surprised.”

These quotes from this interview exemplify my problem with Sorum, he always wants to bash the ballads, the piano, etc, which he did here.  Basically, he wants everyone to know that just in case people think GNR got soft with the UYI albums, that he had nothing to do with it, since he's clearly too much of a bad ass to be on stage with a piano.  

Come on dude, yes on average AFD was a harder album, but they were also playing Patience at most shows before he was in the band.  Besides, what exactly is the problem?  Does he also think Zeppelin sold out or went soft with stairway?  Thats what always made GNR so great imo, they did the songs they wanted, they were never afraid to show actual human emotion in the lyrics, and they didn't give a fuck about what anyone thought about it, and I'm certain that includes Matt Sorum.

I don't get his bitching about the "long epic opuses" (not so much in this interview, but in older interviews), when in another interview he stated he was a big Genesis (the epitome of long epic opuses) fan. Also the bashing of "epic" comes from the guy who wrote this:

which is an example of uninspired synth pompousness.

Edited by Blackstar
added video
  • Like 4

He was right there at the bottom of the totem pole alongside Dizzy, if Dizzy manage to offend Axl and got fired like this dude maybe he will be out of reunion too. I don't understand why he bashing piano while he was originally from synthpop band.

Maybe next year he will finally get offered to reunite with his old band.

Y_Kant_Tori_Read_Promo_Picture.jpg

• Like 1

I really think Matt was the perfect fit for GNR for tha UYI-Era !

I have much respect für Steven, but the stuff Matt did on for Example Coma, Estranged, Locomotive,Back off bitch, YCBM and off course NR was amazing.

Nothing against Ferrer, but I would also be happy to see Matt next year live on the european leg of the tour.

But I really dont´t think this is going to happen. I guess, for some reason, Axl is through with Matt and would either hire Steven back, in case Ferrer would leave the band or brake his arm or something.

20 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

There's nothing wrong with this interview. I don't even think he is saying all this in a smug or arrogant way either. Granted, it is difficult to understand emotions through text, but his comments could be much worse and much more severe.

By the way, Axl himself said Sorum's involvement was a 'miracle', and that he 'saved the band's life':

Every guy says that about his new girlfriend before he realizes she's just a rebound. Especially in the beginning. Of the relationship. I've been there and Axls opinions have drastically changed several times since that interview took place 

8 hours ago, starlight said:

I hope when I see GNR next summer there is Adler or Matt on drums!

And what else? No Frank? 

Hey, it can't hurt to dream even if it isn't realistic 

6 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I have to imagine, more than anything, it bothers Matt that he took Slash and Duff's side for so many years, and then got dropped immediately when GN'R came calling back. 

And who could blame him for feeling like that. Those guys dicked him over, no two ways about it.

Sorum's ego clashed with Axl's and to be honest, there just wasnt enough room for two big ego's in the band.

Sorum is a great drummer, that cant be disputed, but he always seems bitter about GNR and i dont think he fully appreciates how big they were at that time. We could argue all day about why the band split up, but Sorum played a part in it just as much as anyone else. His constant berating of long piano solo's and orchestra presence was his downfall. The people who arent massive GNR fans paid to see the band perform those massive ballads and it was one of the main reasons why GNR were massive at the time. 

I'm personally not overly fussed if he came back as a cameo, full time or not at all. Like i said, he is a good drummer but he is by no means a GNR legend. Give me Adler any day. 

• Like 1

I agree, I "like" Sorum. I don't have a problem with him at all, and I rank him HIGHER than Gilby as a Guns member. But having said that, I don't miss him either. Obviously there is a reason he is not there. As long as we have Axl, Sash, and Duff I'm not going to cry about Sorum. Besides I'd rather have Adler back anyways. Frank is fine with me, instead of Sorum. If this line up ever releases a new album, both Frank and Fortus would be elevated to more important members all time above Sorum and Gilby anyways. Only the original 5 can not be surpassed, everyone else really is just a replacement member anyways imo. Sorum just luckily played on the Illusions. Gilby only really played on Spaghetti, so it would be easy for Fortus to surpass him. Frank and Sorum will probably always be a toss up, especially if a new album does happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I agree, I "like" Sorum. I don't have a problem with him at all, and I rank him HIGHER than Gilby as a Guns member. But having said that, I don't miss him either. Obviously there is a reason he is not there. As long as we have Axl, Sash, and Duff I'm not going to cry about Sorum. Besides I'd rather have Adler back anyways. Frank is fine with me, instead of Sorum. If this line up ever releases a new album, both Frank and Fortus would be elevated to more important members all time above Sorum and Gilby anyways. Only the original 5 can not be surpassed, everyone else really is just a replacement member anyways imo. Sorum just luckily played on the Illusions. Gilby only really played on Spaghetti, so it would be easy for Fortus to surpass him. Frank and Sorum will probably always be a toss up, especially if a new album does happen.

For a lot of GN'R fans, Fortus already surpassed Izzy a long time ago. 

Edited by Caraibes

4 minutes ago, Caraibes said:

For a lot of GN'R fans, Fortus already surpassed Izzy.

Another LOL.  And for a shitload more fans- no.  *I will say Fortus has been fine, but he's no Izzy Stradlin.  Izzy is bad ass.  Too bad they can't work out the $$$, I guarantee Izzy turned down way more than Fortus is being paid too.

• Like 4

Well Axl was off in his own little world most of the time and Slash and Duff were a mess most of the time, so he might not be wrong, if that's what he means.

Of course he also stepped in and learned/recorded 30-some songs in a month to keep the band going after Adler was fired, so maybe he means that.