Total Guitar's Best Guitar Rock Riffs

1 hour ago, SlashElvisTCB said:

Don't Damn Me is a killer riff, a killer Slash riff and one of the coolest riffs anyone has ever done in my opinion and one that is I think both harder than Sweet Child to do and gives you more accomplishment as a guitarist to learn, but I'm cool with Sweet Child Being #1 because you'd be fucking kidding yourself to say "Popularity doesn't matter to how great a song is"....it kinda does, you're pleasing a more diverse crowd and that always kicks ass and its one you'd tout yourself if you wrote the fucking song. In a group of well known songs, to have your well known song with such an iconic riff that instantly gets people going (even when a poorly skilled cover band pops it off) a song that speaks to their soul and has such meaning... you're a god damn fool if you can deny the power of that. 

What good is a great riff if the majority of people have never heard it? Saying popularity doesn't matter is usually the losers way of making excuses for why his opinion isn't wrong or in this case why his favorite song doesn't suck. Its certainly hard to say that popularity means something today with how crappy all that popular rap and hip hop crap has gotten, but still when you pull yourself away from the fads theres the music that rises above that through time. The Fox song everyone thought was a fad, I thought wtf when I first heard it, but its actually a very genius song and years later I can appreciate why it got popular. 

The purpose of the list is to choose from songs that are very well known and take the best out of those. There can still be awesome riffs, but never underestimate the minds of millions of people's ability to choose a song that speaks to our basic primal urges. 

Yeah...I like "don't damm me" too...

But seems even GNR don't care about the song that much...

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

There's no objective way of measuring how good a riff is. All I'm gonna say is, that list could be much worse.

Yea theres no way to accurately measure that. But I'd rather take the authors personal opinion instead of a list of songs that are pre-destined because the songs were singles and had videos etc because that plays a huge role. It's just "pick the hits" which is stupid. Just a dumb list of tracks that the radio has been raping for some 30 years. As some poster earlier said: Dont Damn Me is fucking great. But the general public just never got a shot with it, because it wasnt a single or had a video. There are some very good riffs buried because of this, just most people dont know the songs. And that excludes them from these lists.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

20 hours ago, AlexC said:

Anyone else think it's a shame that some really great riffs appear in mediocre songs? Like Seven Nation Army and Clubfoot. Just a thought.

World On Fire and especially Withered Delilah. Both are simply amazing riffs in more or less average songs.

Still like WOF 

Edited by Free Bird