Dunkrik (2017)

Georgy Zhukov

• 6 months later...
On 7/8/2017 at 2:55 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Gonna see it in IMAX when it comes out. All the IMAX trailers have been intense.

For real...I'm not a Christopher Nolan fan by any stretch.  BUT, when I saw the prologue for this in IMAX, I was PUMPED UP!  I cannot wait to see this one.  

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I wonder if the Americans save the day?

idk if the movie is accurate but what i read the American's don't come in and save the day if what i read was accurate. on scene on one trailer keep showing a young man (Englishman? ) screaming take me home! what surprised me was Dunkirk was in France showing how ignorant i have been about WWII...strange for now i am a bit obsessed..

6 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

idk if the movie is accurate but what i read the American's don't come in and save the day if what i read was accurate. on scene on one trailer keep showing a young man (Englishman? ) screaming take me home! what surprised me was Dunkirk was in France showing how ignorant i have been about WWII...strange for now i am a bit obsessed..

I have too many horrid memories of Ben Affleck fighting in the Battle of Britain!!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 7:57 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

It always makes me tear up when I see a fellow American take interest in The Second World War that doesn't involve America. 

This film is a breath of fresh air compared to the American flag waving bullshit we've seen since Saving Private Ryan. The only thing American about this film is the financing. The trailer only shows British soldiers, though the whole operation also had French, Belgium and other allied troops. 

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I guess since you're a Breitbart reader, you're worried Nolan will make the Nazis out to be the bad guys?

Yeah... well, you're way out of line.

First, I'm not that much of a Breitbart reader, I acknowledge them, but I don't read Breitbart everyday. I think Breitbart is awesome though.

It is because you see, I am french, my relatives fought in WWI & WWII, and this is of course, a historic battle and we played an important part in it, as much as everybody.

So I'm not too worried about nazis anymore... more about revisionism in the land of Hollywood.

In all fairness, I am not as serious as my oldest brother, and I'm expecting them to ignore the part played by French troops in the evacuation.

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

3.5/5

It was obviously gorgeous.

Weak cast, not a lot of dialogues. Some repetitive scenes. I found myself very bored at times.

There was obviously more to the story.

Decent but disappointing. I enjoyed Hacksaw Ridge a lot more.

This is what I am expecting. Have not seen Hacksaw Ridge but don't think it is fair to compare. Except for the egotistical directors. Gibson is the better film maker. 

On 7/19/2017 at 8:07 AM, Silent Jay said:

I'm seeing it tomorrow night. My oldest brother also wants to see if it is bullshit revisionism.

What did he think? Was he right? 

It seems to be the film just portrays the event from the British POV. The French got a mention but they were mostly ignored. Somebody actually recommended me a French film they did on Dunkirk back in the 60's. 

7 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

What did he think? Was he right? 

It seems to be the film just portrays the event from the British POV. The French got a mention but they were mostly ignored. Somebody actually recommended me a French film they did on Dunkirk back in the 60's. 

No no he thought it was very good. You can sense he was a bit heartbroken during the evacuation and since the gamin from One Direction tried to shoot the only french character claiming he was a german spy.

I'm gonna try to talk about that movie later, I know right now he is deep into the first Indochina war and the algerian war of independance.