I hate astrology

john lennon

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

so some can believe and some won't. like i said i don't trust those daily horoscopes but the last three people i did charts on fit them to a T. and my own is spot on and not only in a good way... in fact most of what my sign says about me i pretty much suck!

Were you born in the daytime or at night? I'm still not sold on sun-signs, but the sun would have a lot more personal relevance in a day birth.

The only time I've read a complete screed in astrology was when Vettius Valens thoroughly trashed the sign of Aquarius. I think few people realised he was talking about his own chart when he went on...and on...and on about how horrible all planets Aquarius were, as well as the people who belonged to them ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mishan said:

Were you born in the daytime or at night? I'm still not sold on sun-signs, but the sun would have a lot more personal relevance in a day birth.

The only time I've read a complete screed in astrology was when Vettius Valens thoroughly trashed the sign of Aquarius. I think few people realised he was talking about his own chart when he went on...and on...and on about how horrible all planets Aquarius were, as well as the people who belonged to them ;)

daytime...like around 1 p.m. :)

How can you believe in this when the earth isn't even in the centre of the universe and most of the stars that form the so called "signs" no longer even exist? It made no sense when it was invented and makes even less sense now. In fact, since the invention of astrology the earths axis has actually shifted by 4 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2017 at 0:43 AM, mishan said:

Okay. Richard Dawkins is an idiot about this. Don't know if you got it from him, or someone else, but, anyway. Back when Ptolemy was writing the Tetrabiblos and the Almagest, the sidereal and tropical zodiacs were pretty much aligned (and neither of them are 'true' star positions, you'd need a constellational zodiac for that - which we still haven't really figured out and agreed on, btw). But astrologers were aware of precession. That's usually credited to Hipparchus of Rhodes, and Ptolemy followed up on his work. We don't have evidence that Ptolemy himself was an astrologer, probably he wasn't, but he was an astrological reformer.

Anyway, he - and some other folks - found it more coherent to tie the zodiacal signs to the seasons than to a particular fixed star, which is how the tropical zodiac came to be used more in western astrology. In jyotish a sidereal zodiac is used, these days generally one based on the position of the fixed star Spica Virgo.

Uhh....not sure why I felt the need to explain that, but that's today's history lesson.

Personally, I find ancient and medieval astrology fascinating. Modern, not so much.

Pretty cool. Still this doesn't explain how you are going to make an "accurate astral map", which they are still selling to idiots, if you are using the wrong positions and there's also the part of ASTROlogists using the seasons instead ASTRAL bodies that makes it even more ridiculous. BTW, what about here in the south? Our seasons are reversed, we are in the middle of summer right now. How do we adapt that? What about equatorial countries that don't have 4 defined seasons?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...