GNR songs changed owners?

So, I am that guy who reads credits at the end of GNR-related movies.

And watching It's So Easy And Other Lies was no different.

All the Appetite songs were credited to Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven. No surprize there. It has always been that way.

However, the UYI were were all credited to the same group of people, minus Steven, plus Dizzy and Matt Sorum. Which means that November Rain was credited to Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Matt and Dizzy - whereas on my UYI CD, it's credited solely to Axl. The same pattern is followed with other songs. So what's up with that?

Was changing the autorship and owernship of the songs to the traditional, equal one,  one of the conditions of the reunion? Yeah, I know the movie was shot before the reunion, but after being shot it kinda dissappeared for a long while - maybe bikoz they couldn't figure out the rights to the songs? Or they started to negotiate the reunion while the movie was in the making, and Duff thought it would be a better idea for him to keep the movie on hold until the reunion finalizes? To capitalize more on it? Which is what he did?

Am I stirring sheit up or noticing valid clues here?

Edited by whatashame
typos

When you say condition who do you mean? Slash and Duff? Okay I guess but Dizzy? Dizzy has zero bargaining power. He makes any trouble for anyone he's back playing toilets with his cover band.

Anyway I don't think there's any chance Axl would give up those credits on NR. Nor should he if the original one is correct, which it probably is judging by the pre-Appetite demos.

Edited by bigpoop

The UYI and Live Era CDs mark Axl as the sole songwriter for songs like NR and Estranged, but when you go to the Greatest Hits album, as well as the credits on the Appetite for Democracy DVD, they differ. Slash did say in his autobiography that he though the songwriting credits were unfair, maybe they reached some sort of agreement in the mid 2000's over them.

That said, the same goes for the CD songs - the credits on the AFD DVD differ from those in the CD booklet. In fact, the Red Hand alternate booklet for CD has different songwriting credits to the CD booklet that got released.

• Like 1

On 18.12.2016 at 1:17 AM, seely said:

The UYI and Live Era CDs mark Axl as the sole songwriter for songs like NR and Estranged, but when you go to the Greatest Hits album, as well as the credits on the Appetite for Democracy DVD, they differ. Slash did say in his autobiography that he though the songwriting credits were unfair, maybe they reached some sort of agreement in the mid 2000's over them.

That said, the same goes for the CD songs - the credits on the AFD DVD differ from those in the CD booklet. In fact, the Red Hand alternate booklet for CD has different songwriting credits to the CD booklet that got released.

please elaborate how different are the writing credits on the red hand chinese booklet - i do not own it and can not compare

Songwriters i.e. the person or people who wrote the lyrics get credited separately than those who wrote the music. Except for Appetite, where everyone was credited even for lyrics although I doubt all of them contributed to every song. Axl probably changed his mind on sharing writing credits after the success of Appetite and the whole drama with Steven.

• 2 weeks later...

well, take a look that the same change occured when the LAS VEGAS residency DVD was released

In it, Estranged is also labeled as having all line up as writers, and mostly all songs are this way.

I don't have Slash's Roxy DVD but I would guess it is also the same way there, which means all three members (Axl, Duff, Slash) who are now in GNR worked it out and it must have been a condition of a reunion

• 3 weeks later...
On Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 6:31 AM, AlexC said:

Songwriters i.e. the person or people who wrote the lyrics get credited separately than those who wrote the music. Except for Appetite, where everyone was credited even for lyrics although I doubt all of them contributed to every song. Axl probably changed his mind on sharing writing credits after the success of Appetite and the whole drama with Steven.

In Duff's book he said when it came time to determine song writing credits for Appetite they started fighting over who wrote what and settled it by just splitting them.

1 hour ago, sanity_lost said:

In Duff's book he said when it came time to determine song writing credits for Appetite they started fighting over who wrote what and settled it by just splitting them.

I guess they were so fucked up back then that no one really remembered who wrote what :lol:

Hilarious thought of them waking up in the morning, going like: "Hey, who wrote that song on that pizza box?" :rofl-lol:

• Like 1

One is written by "Guns N'Roses" and published by "Guns N'Roses 1987 BMI" and the other is written by "Axl Rose, Saul Hudson, D.R. McKagan (btw, wasn't Duffs second name Andrew? what does the R stand for? Duff Rose?), I. Stradlin, S. Adler" and published by "Black Frog"

same song (Nightrain, ie) and one year difference

5 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Must be Duff Rose indeed. He's called Michael too, not Duff. The weird thing is it says Saul Hudson instead of Slash when Duff, Izzy and Steven don't have their real names.

Well I think it's because Slash is really just a nickname, while Duff, Izzy and Steven are their legal(??) names.

Could be something else, though.

30 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

Well I think it's because Slash is really just a nickname, while Duff, Izzy and Steven are their legal(??) names.

Could be something else, though.

As far as I know, Duff is a nickname too. I've heard Axl is the only one who actually changed his name but I'm not really sure about Izzy and Steven.