The Man In the High Castle

Dan H.

Anyone watching this show? Its an alternate history where Japan and Nazi Germany win WWII and take over the world. I'm only a few episodes deep, but the plot is pretty meta and mysterious, seems like their may be some sci fi elements down the road.

Amazon Video. If you have Amazon Prime for the Holidays, you can watch it for free

Based on the Phillip K Dick novel of the same name

Man_High_Castle_(TV_Series)_map.png?1422

I didn't realize Sebastian Roche is in this show. Wish I had Netflex.

I met Sebastian at a Vampire Diaries convention. He's also been on The Originals and General Hospital.

he is such a nice talented guy. He did a Q&A and had everyone laughing so hard. He kept dancing and singing that he hardly answered any questions, but he was so entertaining!

8 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I didn't realize Sebastian Roche is in this show. Wish I had Netflex.

I met Sebastian at a Vampire Diaries convention. He's also been on The Originals and General Hospital.

he is such a nice talented guy. He did a Q&A and had everyone laughing so hard. He kept dancing and singing that he hardly answered any questions, but he was so entertaining!

Lucky! I love Sebastian. ...first discovered him as a villain on General Hospital which he nailed. He can play any part....so talented!

I finished season 2. I think the pacing was a little better than season 1, both seasons had an excellent finale. 

SPOILERS Below

I've never read the book, but I was surprised Hitler just passed away in the middle of the night like he did. Also a little surprised the Reich didn't have more of a space program or anything beyond an atomic bomb by 1962.

Edited by Axl owns dexter

1 minute ago, Axl owns dexter said:

I finished season 2. I think the pacing was a little better than season 1, both seasons had an excellent finale. 

SPOILERS Below

I've never read the book, but I was surprised Hitler just passed away in the middle of the night like he did. Also a little surprised the Reich didn't have more of a space program or anything beyond an atomic bomb by 1962.

In the book the Nazi's have already colonized Mars. It's mostly a passing moment of exposition, the book does a much better job of immersing you in the alternate history. The show seems to have trimmed a lot of that stuff in favor of a smoother thriller narrative, rather than a heady sci-fi fantasy like the book.

19 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Lucky! I love Sebastian. ...first discovered him as a villain on General Hospital which he nailed. He can play any part....so talented!

I totally agree. he's super nice in person and like I said had everyone laughing so hard during his panel. He's very handsome in person too and I totally love his accent.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2016 at 1:27 PM, Dan H. said:

In the book the Nazi's have already colonized Mars. It's mostly a passing moment of exposition, the book does a much better job of immersing you in the alternate history. The show seems to have trimmed a lot of that stuff in favor of a smoother thriller narrative, rather than a heady sci-fi fantasy like the book.

Heusman mentioned a space program in passing. I think they toned it down for the audience to buy the plan that the Nazis planned on draining the Mediterranian for farmland.

Also the book was written back in the 60's where space travel was still a dream. People actually thought we'd be taking regular trips to the moon when we haven't been back since 1972. Nowadays it seems a bit far fetch.  Rocket technology to get you from New York to Berlin in an hour more believable. 

Watched a few episodes here and there, but I wasn't paying to much attention, as was doing other things at the same time (cleaning/putting up decorations). Will probably binge sometime this upcoming week. Have heard nothing but good things, especially about the second season.

22 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Heusman mentioned a space program in passing. I think they toned it down for the audience to buy the plan that the Nazis planned on draining the Mediterranian for farmland.

Also the book was written back in the 60's where space travel was still a dream. People actually thought we'd be taking regular trips to the moon when we haven't been back since 1972. Nowadays it seems a bit far fetch.  Rocket technology to get you from New York to Berlin in an hour more believable. 

True, but if they're taking liberties, might as well make the space program further along (but not Mars level) given that the V2 rocket program would have just kept progressing into a space program. I mean, we put Von Braun on the sidelines until the mid 50's didn't we?

Also, I'm shocked the German High Command didn't take into account the Japanese could have retaliated with chemical weapons and killed a lot more than the initial estimate of a few hundred thousand in the finale of season 2. But, maybe I'm nitpicking!

Edited by Axl owns dexter

The Nazis thought their technological superiority would overwhelm the Japanese, Heusemann didn't seem concerned with the possibility that the Japanese possess nuclear weapons, knowing the surprise attack would put the Japanese at a disadvantage. It wasn't until Himmler got wind of Heusmann's treachery, that he was eventually overthrown. 

Also, I am pretty sure in the book, Himmler has been long dead and Heusmann is just a composite character of real life Nazi leader Martin Bormann and possibly others. 

2 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

The Nazis thought their technological superiority would overwhelm the Japanese, Heusemann didn't seem concerned with the possibility that the Japanese possess nuclear weapons, knowing the surprise attack would put the Japanese at a disadvantage. It wasn't until Himmler got wind of Heusmann's treachery, that he was eventually overthrown. 

Also, I am pretty sure in the book, Himmler has been long dead and Heusmann is just a composite character of real life Nazi leader Martin Bormann and possibly others. 

I know they didn't think the Japanese had nukes, but I think it's safe to assume both the Germans and Japanese have huge stocks of weaponized chemical weapons, surely if the Japanese were facing the type of attack the German High Command was proposing then they would have used their chemical weapon stocks? However, they probably left this out because it then ruins the whole plotline. 

Not if the Germans struck their chemical weapons stockpiles which can be assumed were stored in or near major cities. 

Also the Nazis weren't the most rational people, the war itself is il-advised and it whatever territory the Nazis would conquer would be useless because it would be heavily radiated.