How long has Slash been using the Gibson SG?

This may have been discussed already (I'm only now getting around to catching up on most of the Latin America tour videos), but this one caught my eye:

It's so rare to see Slash using a standard SG (obviously he's no stranger to the double neck). Pretty cool I must say. Has he used it for much else this tour?

Locomotive was recorded on a Gibson SG- Slash has been playing one since 1988 - he plays a lot of different Gibsons -BCRich's and Guilds and a Martin acoustic

16 hours ago, James Bond said:

This may have been discussed already (I'm only now getting around to catching up on most of the Latin America tour videos), but this one caught my eye:

It's so rare to see Slash using a standard SG (obviously he's no stranger to the double neck). Pretty cool I must say. Has he used it for much else this tour?

Good question but you must be a new fan - been part of Slashs Dna for 30 years 

1 hour ago, TMAC20 said:

I would say kohd -civil war sometimes on this tour - slash played patience on the illusions tour  with a sg - good question -james bond - no harm intended 

I just like being a smart ass is all - much like the real James Bond. ;)

Its probably the first time he used it on the tour, but he used a red one on World on Fire (or maybe it was Apocalyptic Love, but it was in one of those behind the scenes for one of the albums). Probably for the left channel to add depth to the recording instead of using another LP.

I'm an SG player myself. I find that they've got the best of both worlds as far as depth of tone and playablity, so it's always nice to see Slash dust the cobwebs off of his.

I can't say I've seen him gig with it many times, but in his book, he talks about how he used a vintage SG to get a mean, snarling tone that served My Michelle, very well. The SG has more of a strident sound than a Les Paul, a little more treble-y bite to it.

Hope to see him use it more often.

• Like 1

from what i recall, appetite was originally recorded on a SG and Slash didnt like the tone across entire album, so last minute they had to find a deep tone LP to get the tone which is where Slash moved over to LP.  I believe a channel of My Michelle is recorded on an SG on the album as well

1 minute ago, ItsSaulHudson said:

from what i recall, appetite was originally recorded on a SG and Slash didnt like the tone across entire album, so last minute they had to find a deep tone LP to get the tone which is where Slash moved over to LP.  I believe a channel of My Michelle is recorded on an SG on the album as well

http://www.laweekly.com/music/how-a-custom-guitar-made-in-redondo-beach-saved-appetite-for-destruction-6807261

On 12/24/2016 at 11:57 AM, TMAC20 said:

Locomotive was recorded on a Gibson SG- Slash has been playing one since 1988 - he plays a lot of different Gibsons -BCRich's and Guilds and a Martin acoustic

But he's rarely photographed with an SG, besides the double neck. 90% of photos with slash are either Les pauls, mockingbird or warlocks... it's more recently that he's introducing new live guitars, for example the Firebird he plays on this new tour... I had never seen Slash with a firebird before that... and I love GnR but I have no idea what guitar is used on what track, unless it's really obvious like a strat or tele... or the classic custom made les paul used for AFD

On 24/12/2016 at 5:15 PM, Mendez said:

Its probably the first time he used it on the tour, but he used a red one on World on Fire (or maybe it was Apocalyptic Love, but it was in one of those behind the scenes for one of the albums). Probably for the left channel to add depth to the recording instead of using another LP.

1:40

21 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Gibson-SG-1961.jpgSlash used this guitar on “My Michelle” from the AFD album. He supposedly hated the guitar, and ended up smashing it against the band’s tour van. Be that as it may, the guitar was brought in one piece back to “Guitars R Us” store.

Spot The SG

guitares00.jpg

That rings a bell, I knew I'd seen that guitar, or a red SG at least, involved with a van somewhere else...

a0d1dbfd6eefb8ab84505ed489a42a4e.jpg

• Like 4

Fuck just when you think you know someone, never knew he used an SG on My Michelle i only ever heard the story of the unfortunate SG that ended up being put through a van window. Kinda makes sense though Michelle is the most metal sounding riff on Appetite to me, maybe he thought " well Iommi got some heavy tones outta these fuckers maybe i can get one to do this riff justice".

• 1 month later...
On 24.12.2016 at 0:57 PM, TMAC20 said:

Locomotive was recorded on a 58 Gibson Explorer.

• Like 1

On 25.12.2016 at 10:46 PM, Tom2112 said:

But he's rarely photographed with an SG, besides the double neck. 90% of photos with slash are either Les pauls, mockingbird or warlocks... it's more recently that he's introducing new live guitars, for example the Firebird he plays on this new tour... I had never seen Slash with a firebird before that... and I love GnR but I have no idea what guitar is used on what track, unless it's really obvious like a strat or tele... or the classic custom made les paul used for AFD

The doubleneck is a Gibson EDS-1275, it's not an SG.
Slash has played a Firebird guitar before, it was a Jackson Firebird with a Floyd Rose Whammy. It also had his tattoo design painted on it.
Here it is:

jackson%2B_fire.jpg

jackson2.jpgjackson.jpgslash1.jpgThere's also a clip of him playing it on Youtube (playing the song "Nightrain") 

Edited by SnakepitH