Pyrotechnics in Guns Past Shows

BringitBackhome348

Hey fans! I hope all is well. I've been watching Guns N' Roses live at the Hippodrome in Paris, France. A thought occurred to me during Civil War: how were pyrotechnics different in 1992 versus today? I have seen a couple of newer Guns shows (pre NITL tour) when the pyrotechnics did not go off in time with the music. I was just curious if somehow Matt Sorum used to set them off manually on his timing and nowadays its done by another person or program. 

On 12/24/2016 at 5:53 PM, BringitBackhome348 said:

Hey fans! I hope all is well. I've been watching Guns N' Roses live at the Hippodrome in Paris, France. A thought occurred to me during Civil War: how were pyrotechnics different in 1992 versus today? I have seen a couple of newer Guns shows (pre NITL tour) when the pyrotechnics did not go off in time with the music. I was just curious if somehow Matt Sorum used to set them off manually on his timing and nowadays its done by another person or program. 

i'd rather not have pyrotechnics....js :shrugs:

• Like 3

On 12/26/2016 at 4:45 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i'd rather not have pyrotechnics....js :shrugs:

Yea in this day and age.... especially...  I love the "guns" in guns n roses but if I hadn't periscoped so many shows ahead of time I think I might of ducked during Live and Let Die! :smiley-confused2:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd imagine the sound technician has a switch on his board to set them off now. Back in the old days I used to help my mate out at his disco for Europe's Final Countdown he had a metal ashtray some flash powder 2 wires & an old car battery at the given point he touch the 2 battery contacts with the wires & the powder would go up in smoke very effective. Eventually he bought a smoke machine that was less effective but a whole lot safer lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

I'd imagine the sound technician has a switch on his board to set them off now. Back in the old days I used to help my mate out at his disco for Europe's Final Countdown he had a metal ashtray some flash powder 2 wires & an old car battery at the given point he touch the 2 battery contacts with the wires & the powder would go up in smoke very effective. Eventually he bought a smoke machine that was less effective but a whole lot safer lol

yikes! that sounds terrible! at GN'R as much as i loved the concert, when the first ones went off i was asking like where are the emergency exits?? :no:

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

• 2 weeks later...

Thing about pyrotechnics is they only look good if you can whip up a storm onstage musically or visually to where they sort of compliment whats going on which, when i saw Guns in 06 at Hammersmith, they didn't achieve.  The bang and blaze made you fuckin' jump almost because what was going on onstage had me at a bit of lull.  The stage could've done with being less lit actually, can't see Axls jowls as well that way.

• Like 1