BringitBackhome348

VMA's 2002 Rehearsal

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Im looking for information as to whether the VMA 2002 rehearsals were recorded in any format and whether it is possibly in circulation somewhere. I read that there were secret rehearsals held the day before and that Guns was the last band to rehearse. I know this is a long shot but I am very interested in the possibilty. Thanks for your time! 

Someone wanted a bunch of money for it. It is in circulation out there cause he proved it with a few seconds of footage and some pics I think.

1 person likes this

Yes, I think I've seen a small clip of Madagascar, less light and no crowd, there was also a very small clip from an mtv report

1 person likes this

the circulating clips are:

1. circa 30 secs (Madagascar)

2. nearly 25 secs (WTTJ).

3. what's in the MTV report.

Edited by zombux
1 person likes this

This would be a "nice to have" but I'd much prefer any video from House of Blues show. 

That show was dope. 

3 people like this

I checked it out. Damn shame there's not more footage in circulation. I wanted to see the rehearsal to compare the vocals with the surprise performance. I read that Axl had his in-ear monitor fail and that this is the reason for his poor vocal performance. In certain parts you can see him messing with it during the show, but from what I heard in the rehearsal I don't think his vocals would've been much better either way. Still a great show though!

he reportedly was late to the actual VMA show (got stuck in a traffic and he had to run for quite a long time, to get to the show on time), so he was out of breath when they started. and that's why the result is so embarassing.

1 person likes this

On 12/27/2016 at 1:44 AM, zombux said:

he reportedly was late to the actual VMA show (got stuck in a traffic and he had to run for quite a long time, to get to the show on time), so he was out of breath when they started. and that's why the result is so embarassing.

Also he couldn't get past security. They didn't think he was Axl Rose. 

I can't remember where I heard that. Maybe that Trunk interview in 2006. 

2 people like this

On December 27, 2016 at 1:44 AM, zombux said:

Very interesting. I hadnt heard that story before. I get embarrassed for Axl when i watch that performance but Axl is just so charismatic that even his off key and off tempo vocals on certain shows still kick ass. You just never know what youre gonna get. 

The medley was a bad idea and probably didn't help at all. Making it a medley meant he had no time to breath in certain parts, you can actually see it in the performance clip on Jungle especially. But it sounded like it was an off night for Axl anyway.

Posted (edited)

On 4.1.2017 at 0:03 AM, BringitBackhome348 said:

Very interesting. I hadnt heard that story before. I get embarrassed for Axl when i watch that performance but Axl is just so charismatic that even his off key and off tempo vocals on certain shows still kick ass. You just never know what youre gonna get. 

While Axl was running there, some guy shouted "there goes Kid rock". Axl found that so funny he retold that story several times

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
1 person likes this

On 1/8/2017 at 10:25 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

While Axl was running there, some guy shouted "there goes Kid rock". Axl found that so funny he retold that story several times

That is very funny. They're actually friends from what I understand.

1 person likes this

Just now, BringitBackhome348 said:

That is very funny. They're actually friends from what I understand.

Yeah Kid hung out with both Axl and Slash in recent years

Yes, Kid Rock guested with NuGNR during Nightrain on Hammersmith 2006 and he also sings on Slash's solo album. I think he only doesn't get along with Matt Sorum because Kid did something against dolphins (no troll, he posted it on twitter)