Alien: Covenant

Powerage5

Looks ok.

Hated Prometheus but this should be ok ( if the Covenant crew is less retarded than the Prometheus one ).

That being said, I hope the majority of the movie takes place indoors. Can't really have the same tension outdoors with xenomorphs.

Also, you can already tell it probably has the same problem as Prometheus : the technology is way too advanced. It is supposed to be a prequel to Alien but the technology seems more advanced than in Resurrection...

Edited by The Glow Inc.

7 minutes ago, The Glow Inc. said:

Looks ok.

Hated Prometheus but this should be ok ( if the Covenant crew is less retarded than the Prometheus one ).

That being said, I hope the majority of the movie takes place indoors. Can't really have the same tension outdoors with xenomorphs.

Also, you can already tell it probably has the same problem as Prometheus : the technology is way too advanced. It is supposed to be a prequel to Alien but the technology seems more advanced than in Resurrection...

I mean, to be fair, Star Wars had the same issue with the prequels (And that's one of the few things that you can't really specifically blame George for fucking up). That's just an inherent issue with making a sci-fi prequel three decades after an original film, it's nearly unavoidable. 

my only real comment about this teaser, when that whiny vocalist started singing...  this is so typical of nu-ridley scott..  it just breaks my heart, its like he tries too hard.  first he says the xenomorph is done and thats why he didnt use it in prometheus and thats why he will never revisit it again.  then he cans the prometheus sequel, then decides to make it, then changes its name from paradise lost to alien covenant.  he is desperately trying to reclaim moral ownership of something he started in 1979 he will do anything to achieve that end.  i liked prometheus, its entirely watchable imo.  i think this film completely smacks of fan-service which is NOT a bad thing if done right, and of course it remains to be seen if it has been done right.  i am hopeful.  all i know is last month i saw a digital print at the cinema of Aliens: Special Edition and there were 900 other people there and it was an incredible experience to be able to see it on the big screen for the second time in my life, and it will take something pretty special from ridley to make that kind of a mark.

Ridley is a great director but I think what made the first movie so exceptionnal is the writing of Dan O' Bannon, Giger's creature, Moebius' designs, Goldsmith's score, Sigourney's acting AND Ridley's directing.

You can't recapture that without a natural chemistry behind the people working on the movie.

Great directing alone can't save shitty writing and design.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

Ridley is a great director but I think what made the first movie so exceptionnal is the writing of Dan O' Bannon, Giger's creature, Moebius' designs, Goldsmith's score, Sigourney's acting AND Ridley's directing.

You can't recapture that without a natural chemistry behind the people working on the movie.

Great directing alone can't save shitty writing and design.

Exactly. Alien is not the result of one man.

It looks ok. Prometheus was a let down, and its fun to see actual Xenomorphs again, but if they are completely abandonibg the Engineers plotline it will make this series more convoluted than it already is.

It just seems like more of the same based on this trailer. A dudr gets a facehugger on him, an aliem bursts out, and hell breaks loose on a ship. I am being a hypocrite since I love The Force Awakens, but Id jist have liked to either have seen a full reboot or something super new from Aliens. The shower scene didnt look great here, either.

I could just be a stick in the mud. Just my 2 cents, hope its good

Looks alright. I just want to get it out the way and get on with this whole "Consigning Alien 3 and Resurrection to the canon oblivion where they belong" thing that the Neill Blomkamp "Aliens" sequel promises.

It's not very often that the opportunity arises to actually eradicate a poor entry in a franchise, and the fact that it's my most hated movie of all time just makes it all the sweeter. Bring it the fuck on! :D

Edited by Graeme

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Looks alright. I just want to get it out the way and get on with this whole "Consigning Alien 3 and Resurrection to the canon oblivion where they belong" thing that the Neill Blomkamp "Aliens" sequel promises.

It's not very often that the opportunity arises to actually eradicate a poor entry in a franchise, and the fact that it's my most hated movie of all time just makes it all the sweeter. Bring it the fuck on! :D

Which one, Alien 3 or Resurrection? 

Just now, Powerage5 said:

Which one, Alien 3 or Resurrection? 

3. Truth be told, I didn't even bother with Resurrection because everyone I've ever spoken to about it called it excrable and it meant acknowledging 3 as a valid part of the canon.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Graeme said:

3. Truth be told, I didn't even bother with Resurrection because everyone I've ever spoken to about it called it excrable and it meant acknowledging 3 as a valid part of the canon.

3 is the worst. The first hour and a half of Resurrection actually isn't that bad...but the last half hour is beyond salvageable. 

resurrection is WAY WAY worse than 3.  they are just taking the piss.  and the directors cut? omfg...  a fucking alien/human hybrid?  fucking interspecies cross bred alien calling for his mamma..  fuck me dead..  better than alien 3? i dont think so.  

I've got to say...the trailer is cool enough, I just don't like the fact that Ridley is trying to shoehorn Alien into Prometheus (or is it Prometheus into Alien?) after a false start.

Of course, Aliens were what we always wanted out of an Alien prequel, but Ridley chose to make a film that was a cousin to Alien and now he's selling us on a film that's a sibling to Alien. Prometheus wasn't a bad film, but it left a bad taste. In the classic case of a man who wants to have his cake and eat it too, he's trying to marry the narratives of two different stories and I really believe that we're going to suffer for that.

Here's what I mean; I imagine this film will have very little to do with engineers and gods and instead be an all out monster movie. It's easy enough for Ridley to do a film where humans run around a planet shooting weapons at Aliens, but how many times have we seen that? Enough, I think. The fact that we're getting a character who has the Ripley haircut, the Ripley tanktop, the Ripley rifle, who might be Ripley's mom, is a real eye roller for me, because it speaks to the lack of imagination going into this.

Anyone so inclined can read the comments on 4chan from those who attended a test screening and you can see this is going to be a very safe Alien movie and not something that is going to further the narrative or the understanding of the mythology as a whole. 

1 hour ago, appetite4illusions said:

I've got to say...the trailer is cool enough, I just don't like the fact that Ridley is trying to shoehorn Alien into Prometheus (or is it Prometheus into Alien?) after a false start.

Of course, Aliens were what we always wanted out of an Alien prequel, but Ridley chose to make a film that was a cousin to Alien and now he's selling us on a film that's a sibling to Alien. Prometheus wasn't a bad film, but it left a bad taste. In the classic case of a man who wants to have his cake and eat it too, he's trying to marry the narratives of two different stories and I really believe that we're going to suffer for that.

Here's what I mean; I imagine this film will have very little to do with engineers and gods and instead be an all out monster movie. It's easy enough for Ridley to do a film where humans run around a planet shooting weapons at Aliens, but how many times have we seen that? Enough, I think. The fact that we're getting a character who has the Ripley haircut, the Ripley tanktop, the Ripley rifle, who might be Ripley's mom, is a real eye roller for me, because it speaks to the lack of imagination going into this.

Anyone so inclined can read the comments on 4chan from those who attended a test screening and you can see this is going to be a very safe Alien movie and not something that is going to further the narrative or the understanding of the mythology as a whole. 

Ridley never said Prometheus wouldn't be a sort of prequel to Alien though, he said it would be a prequel which also explored it's own philosophies. The way he described it around the time it came out was that the first film would introduce some elements of Alien, but also introduce a lot of new ideas. The second film would deviate further from the Alien path, focus more on the Prometheus mythology. The third film would tie everything together. It's looking like, after seeing this trailer, hat idea got scrapped and he's just sort of cutting to the chase and giving us the third act.

What I find terribly derivative about all these Alien movies is that the plot has become so boiler-plate.

Crew of an American spaceship stumbles upon uncharted planet and is hunted.

No sequel or prequel will tell that story better than the original, so why repeat it with each entry?

In trying to expand the first film with prequels, he waters it down with a story that echoes it! Echoes it down to a character that looks and acts just like the series main protagonist. 

Prometheus itself was bold in that it tried to tell a story about wicked gods, but in the end, even that film wimped out. There was one engineer in the whole film and the rest of the film was about- a crew of American astronauts being hunted!

Stale.

I was excited for the Promethueus sequel only because it looked like it would break the mold. It was going to be about one human character and the head of another traveling to a hostile world populated by gods.

I envisioned something along the lines of Planet of the Apes, with Shaw fighting for survival amongst a cast of indigenous and intelligent creatures. Some friend, some foe. A film like that would have been absolutely wild. You could easily have fit the xenomorphs into a story like that, too.

Instead, we have this plot synopsis provided by Fox:

Headed toward a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew members of the colony ship Covenant discover what they believe to be an uncharted paradise, but it is actually a dark, menacing world in which the only inhabitant is the synthetic David (Michael Fassbender),

Sole inhabitant. That means no engineers in this film. Which also means no answers.

I just feel Ridley from the beginning had a chance to do both. To tell a tale about mankind's first encounter with their creators and a balls out film where Engineers unleash their most wicked creations on us. As it is, Ridley tries to do one or the other without much commitment.

• Like 1

Alien 3 is dope. Resurrection sucked ass.

Don't get all the hate for Prometheus either, most of the criticism just seems nit picky to me. It wasn't a fantastic movie, but it had great performances and a cool concept that carried it through the odd plothole and occasionally clunky writing. I thought it was enjoyable.

This new trailer looks good, but who can even trust trailers anymore

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dan H. said:

Alien 3 is dope. Resurrection sucked ass.

Don't get all the hate for Prometheus either, most of the criticism just seems nit picky to me. It wasn't a fantastic movie, but it had great performances and a cool concept that carried it through the odd plothole and occasionally clunky writing. I thought it was enjoyable.

This new trailer looks good, but who can even trust trailers anymore

The other saving grace for Prometheus was that it was a beautiful piece of cinematography. I saw it in 3D and thought it looked gorgeous. I quite enjoyed it at the time too, I think I've come to have a harsher opinion of it in hindsight.

Alien 3 on the other hand remains the only film I've tried to watch four times and had to stop before the end each time because I've been not enjoying myself so much. It was actually the first film in the franchise I watched (or tried to). I'm so glad I at least gave the first two a chance after it, cause it would have been really easy to have been totally put off by 3.

• Like 1

My gut tells me that this will suck but the Alien franchise lover in me is really hoping for the best. The alien films are what started my career/interest in SFX makeup so I'm always going to have a soft spot for them regardless. I do wish Ridley had just dropped the Alien aspect to Prometheus and made the Prometheus sequel that we all know he really wants to make. I liked Prometheus as it's own stand alone story but the Xeno's just seemed out of place and ruined it for me. I love Ridley but I just don't think he has it in him to make another great Alien film at this point. Prometheus proved that. (in my opinion, anyway) I do really hope that Neill Blomkamp gets the green light for his sequel after covenant is released because he seems to really get what the Alien franchise was all about and I think has a good chance at bringing the franchise back to life.

• 1 month later...