Alien: Covenant

Powerage5

6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

The next movie is set between Covenant and Prometheus so you might yet get your wish. 

Spoiler

From what I've read, they abandoned most of the Prometheus plot. Shaw will appear in a short flashback. No engineers. This is an Alien movie with David.

Do you like Sigourney Weaver? Do you like Sigourney Weaver wearing digital makeup? No? Well, too bad..

http://theplaylist.net/ridley-scott-open-digitally-de-aging-sigourney-weaver-future-alien-movies-20170417/

Man, Ridley Scott has an appetite for Alien. He's got all these grand plans for prequels and sequels and five, six years ago, I would have been walking on air to hear that. Maybe I'm just too cynical after Prometheus, a movie I liked but as we saw, a tug-of-war in studio politics. 

He and 20th century fox really should just give Neil Blomkamp the green light to do his thing and make a true-blue sequel. We don't need Ripley in the series of films that Sir Scott wants to do for the next decade. We need Michael Biehn! 

On 4/11/2017 at 10:01 AM, maynard said:
  Hide contents

From what I've read, they abandoned most of the Prometheus plot. Shaw will appear in a short flashback. No engineers. This is an Alien movie with David.

If that is true, Ridley has lost his marbles and the sequel seems a lot less interesting. Prometheus had a lot of problems but there was a good story in there they could have really developed for the followup. Another xenomorph movie seems pretty tired.

Maybe Ridley rebranded the sequel to make the fanboys happy but he's still going to give us his followup to Prometheus? I read the same article Dazey did -- apparently Ridley is going to film a prequel after this with the events of what happened with Shaw and David when they were heading towards "Paradise". That seems like a way more interesting movie - god knows why Ridley wants to do that story as a prequel instead of a direct sequel to Prometheus. Maybe the bad reviews for Prometheus forced him to do a traditional Alien movie this time.

I think it's kind of bullshit that David is without his trademark bleach-blonde Peter O'Toole hairdo, in this film. It was a great touch to his character in Prometheus and also evoked a Bowie-esq aesthetic that made David seem artificial.

Obviously, there's a good reason the hair is different in this one. Ridley Scott doesn't want us to distinguish between Walter and David. Do you think that's maybe going to play into the plot? Maybe David is going to impersonate Walter at some point? Hmmmm...

2 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

I think it's kind of bullshit that David is without his trademark bleach-blonde Peter O'Toole hairdo, in this film. It was a great touch to his character in Prometheus and also evoked a Bowie-esq aesthetic that made David seem artificial.

Obviously, there's a good reason the hair is different in this one. Ridley Scott doesn't want us to distinguish between Walter and David. Do you think that's maybe going to play into the plot? Maybe David is going to impersonate Walter at some point? Hmmmm...

Unless I'm wrong, we haven't actually seen David yet. Walter has darker hair of course, but David may very well still have the same hair he had in Prometheus.

On 4/11/2017 at 7:44 AM, maynard said:

Great post. It's a shame they had to scrape all the Engineers stuff and go back to Alien. I would LOVE to see David dealing with more Engineers in Paradise. Really wanted Prometheus 2 to happen with Shaw and David.

I agree. The enigeneers had the potential to be interesting. But, it appears the was no interest in developing that idea. Probably out of laziness. Now it's Aliens again, which aren't that interesting to me now without knowing how and why they were created by the engineers. 

33 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Reviews say the same thing.

Really? Most of the reviews I've read have been on the positive end of the spectrum. The consensus I'm seeing is that it's good, if not particularly original. I've seen it likened to The Force Awakens in a couple reviews so far. 

I'm actually feeling glad since the majority of reviews I've read say that the second half of the film deals directly with Prometheus and in that vein, is very much a sequel to that film. Okay, no engineers, but we're at least in the same ballpark.

It's difficult to make a film that marries two franchises and pleases those who want one more than the other. 

This whole dance is really 20th Century Fox's fault. They've meddled in the Alien franchise since the beginning, because really, it's one of the few franchises they have and everyone has an idea.

Skipping the politics of Alien 3 and the debacle of miscarried movies, they set Ridley up to produce an Alien prequel back in 2008-2009. Ridley developed it with the intention of a protege directing. Then Ridley decided he was the one with the vision for the movie so it went through changes. He probably thought that the ideas in the script were so rich, that he didn't want to sully them by endearing them to a monster movie; a film where he was obligated to show aliens chasing people down corridors.

So he cut the Aliens out with Damon Lindelof's help. The film would stand on its own. It's ideas would be unburdened by the expectations of an audience that demanded the Alien in all three lifecycle forms. The moivie comes out and...too late...people were already expecting those aliens. It limps to the finish line.

Meanwhile (and Ridley himself admits this), Star Wars is brewing in a huge way at Disney. Fox starts scratching. They don't have any franchise material to compete, so they go back to the old well. I'm quite sure they handed down a decree to Ridley Scott; if you want a sequel to that movie you did, find a way to put the famous monsters in it, because the check isn't written until there's blood on the wall.

Just how I see it. This was a calculated dance on Fox's part. Just two years ago, Ridley Scott said the Alien was cooked, what do you think changed?

Glad to hear there's more Prometheus stuff than I thought. Still would have loved to see David and Shaw reaching Paradise full with those huge white engineers and just glimpses of the Alien. New Engineers look kinda lame and Shaw is just a footnote now... Hope it's fun and answers some questions, all I'm asking.

I'll see this one in theaters, looks entertaining.

Sadly this is a franchise that can never seem to get away with doing something new plot wise. Alien Aliens and Alien 3 are just the same plot over again, albiet with amazing little tricks and changes. This one looks like another soft reboot (maybe not a bad decision when it comes to this particular franchise though)

Promethius and Resurrection were the only two that tried something new, and both are incredibly controversial. I really enjoyed Promethius, and Resurrection could have been spectacular if the execution wasn't so messy as its the only film that does more than flirt with humans weaponizing the xenomorphs

Edited by Dan H.

Just saw it in IMAX.

To my great surprise, I have to admit that I absolutely loved it, almost as much as I hated Prometheus.

It even managed to redeem Prometheus a bit in my eyes. That being said, I predict that a lot of people will hate it.

It is a sort of hybrid movie between Prometheus and the first alien movie. It's not perfect : it has some pacing issues, some characters aren't really congruent nor likeable...but it's a beautiful movie and I think it managed to achieve what Prometheus wanted to do ( the philosophical-horror movie approach ) better than it did.  That being said, it is a rather cruel, brutal and mean-spirited movie and I think some people will be put off by the tone but I absolutely loved it.

Fassbender is a God in this movie ( litterally ).