setlist for 2017

20 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

....Locomotive is a pipe dream. Song is way too difficult to sing, much more so than Coma. The couple times Axl sang it back during the Illusions tour, he was shredding his voice.

This. Locomotive is a stunning song, but even 90s Axl couldn't do it justice live. He did a great performance of Breakdown though, that or Don't Damn Me would be cool to see. 

Of course the ideal dream would be to get to hear a new song. Other than that...

One can only wish that they'd be pissed off just enough to play Back Off Bitch or Get in the Ring! :P

But seriously, I'd really like to hear songs such as The Garden, Street of Dreams and You're Crazy (a hybid acoustic/fast ver). I also wish that they'd change the intro for November Rain from Layla to a less...obvious song.

• Like 2

As someone who has never seen them live (yet), the only thing that bothers me about the current setlist is that don't cry isn't played every night. I don't see why it gets the 50/50 treatment with patience...being one of the earliest songs gnr played together, as early as 1985 (acoustically) if I'm not mistaken, you'd think it would have some meaning and be a staple. I'm sure most can agree that there are other songs that can be cut or shortened to accommodate don't cry! 

Otherwise, I'd take "you're crazy" (slow version) over the seeker...even if it means singing it in a low voice with zero rasp as a break for axl before PC.

...and I just hope they keep playing coma :)

I am quite happy with the current setlist, and if they do add Perfect Crime which was on some setlists that would be the cherry on top

One thing they could do though is lose The Seeker and play the Lies-electrified version of You're Crazy like the Live Era version since the chords and general beat are so similar

4 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

Of course the ideal dream would be to get to hear a new song. Other than that...

One can only wish that they'd be pissed off just enough to play Back Off Bitch or Get in the Ring! :P

But seriously, I'd really like to hear songs such as The Garden, Street of Dreams and You're Crazy (a hybid acoustic/fast ver). I also wish that they'd change the intro for November Rain from Layla to a less...obvious song.

I'd welcome any of those songs. I don't love Street Of Dreams but it is better than the CD songs they are playing.

4 hours ago, hsvhsv28 said:

They're playing their classics, nothing more or less. Do you really think we get something new or something like Dead Horse, The Garden or Locomotive?? I can't really picture that... 

I don't see why not.. They are playing 4 CD songs. Those aren't classics. They play COMA and Double Talkin Jive. I wouldn't say either of those are any more popular or well known than the songs you mentioned.

I think they are playing hits classics and some they want to do. Axl wants to do CD songs/The Seeker, Duff wants to do some Spag inc, Slash wants to do DTJ, Godfather theme, Coma. 

They are kind of reviving the UYI touring so DTJ and Godfather, Atittude are ones they used to play. Coma is the big bonus classic. 

Bad Obsession is one they played a lot back on the Illusion tour. 

To me SOD, Madagascar were all about nu Guns justification. Not sure Axl is there right now. 

Dead Horse, Pretty Tied Up, 14 Years, Dust n Bones seem about the split of GNR. It's all a bit down. 

So it's Yesterdays, or something from AFD or Lies is always fun. 

I'm always up for a cover of Eye of the Tiger. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wasted said:

I think they are playing hits classics and some they want to do. Axl wants to do CD songs/The Seeker, Duff wants to do some Spag inc, Slash wants to do DTJ, Godfather theme, Coma. 

They are kind of reviving the UYI touring so DTJ and Godfather, Atittude are ones they used to play. Coma is the big bonus classic. 

Bad Obsession is one they played a lot back on the Illusion tour. 

To me SOD, Madagascar were all about nu Guns justification. Not sure Axl is there right now. 

Dead Horse, Pretty Tied Up, 14 Years, Dust n Bones seem about the split of GNR. It's all a bit down. 

So it's Yesterdays, or something from AFD or Lies is always fun. 

I'm always up for a cover of Eye of the Tiger. 

The lyrics do seem to matter to Axl, not just the music when it comes to Chinese tunes at least. So Shackler's doesn't really make sense musically at least right now, and other tunes might not be thematically appropriate.

Street Of Dreams will probably sound great with Slash and Duff. I'm glad I had the chance to experience it live. Madagascar seems problematic as well, even more than SOD. (thematically)

Eye Of The Tiger needs to happen of course.

Edited by Rovim

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

The lyrics do seem to matter for Axl, not just the music when it comes to Chinese tunes at least. So Shackler's doesn't really make sense musically at least right now, and other tunes might not be thematically appropriate.

Street Of Dreams will probably sound great with Slash and Duff. I'm glad I had the chance to experience it live. Madagascar seems problematic as well, even more than SOD. (thematically)

Eye Of The Tiger needs to happen of course.

Of course. 

Slash or someone needs to write an old school GNR rocker. At least one GNR classic to hang the triple album on. 

• Like 1

Just now, wasted said:

Of course. 

Slash or someone needs to write an old school GNR rocker. At least one GNR classic to hang the triple album on. 

His bread and butter. He'll want to do it to represent himself well. Or maybe his old Slash idea is already it.

13 minutes ago, wasted said:

It's funny Axl has held on to this Slash riff for 10-15 years waiting for the right time. 

It makes me think Axl will use Slash fully in the studio now. There was a rumor Axl made Bucket come up with 3 different solos for each Chinese track he worked on.

Beta should lock Slash in his box everyday for 12 hours until he gets it right.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

It makes me think Axl will use Slash fully in the studio now. There was a rumor Axl made Bucket come up with 3 different solos for each Chinese track he worked on.

Beta should lock Slash in his box everyday for 12 hours until he gets it right.

Wonder if the rec company will give them money for studio time. I doubt we'd hear if they are recording publicly. 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

Wonder if the rec company will give them money for studio time. I doubt we'd hear if they are recording publicly. 

Even if they don't, Axl could fund it himself, I think he won't let money stop him if he really wants to do it. He did it in the past, we know that much, but that was closer to the finish line with Chinese. But the Art comes first. Allegedly.

It wouldn't serve Axl's interests to say they're recording but who knows? if it goes smoothly, maybe he'll get excited but frankly, I don't really see it.

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Even if they don't, Axl could fund it himself, I think he won't let money stop him if he really wants to do it. He did it in the past, we know that much, but that was closer to the finish line with Chinese. But the Art comes first. Allegedly.

It wouldn't serve Axl's interests to say they're recording but who knows? if it goes smoothly, maybe he'll get excited but frankly, I don't really see it.

I doubt they advertise that they are recording and set a deadline. 

Maybe as we go along they will open up a little play some deep cuts. Pretty Tied Up with Izzy would be ironically awesome. 

I see the reunion as the AFD of this line up, after this they can do anything they want. There's a price of freedom. 

Edited by wasted
Oxyfreedom
  • Like 1

On 27/12/2016 at 1:21 PM, Tom-Ass said:

That isn't how Sash works and he is doing just fine. 

Actually, "Elvis" Baskette made him do several takes on the solos for World On Fire 'cause he knew what Slash was capable of and wanted to push him to get the best out of him. I can totally see Slash doing many takes and trying different approaches for every single solo for a new album. I'm pretty sure he wants a new GNR record more than any of us.

I guess they in the writing stage now. But once they get in the studio I'm sure Slash will be fired up to UYI levels. Everyone huddle up I'm calling the shots here for my fantasy band season 2. 

Edited by wasted
Punt
  • Like 2