The Holographic Universe

New U2 album and tour in 2017

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Friends working For live nation

7 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

How do you know this?

Joshua tree tour starting in May from Usa. Moving to Europe For the summer.

Rome: 15 and 16 the of july.

New album in autumn.

Edited by Italian girl

3 hours ago, Italian girl said:

Friends working For live nation

Joshua tree tour starting in May from Usa. Moving to Europe For the summer.

Rome: 15 and 16 the of july.

New album in autumn.

What are your thoughts on the Joshua tree shows? Do you think it will be the whole album and then a set of newer material. I can't envision U2 playing the Joshua tree from beginning to end since the 3 biggest hits are the first songs. I also wonder what the production value for a small tour run would be. 

I really don't know what to think..

I hope they are not doing this because the HAVE to. JT is a genuine album. They don't need to dirty it for money.

Sometimes I'm very angry with them, because they're able to ruin everything good they made in the past...

I hope it will be a short tour in the States focused only on JT and then a new album with a real world tour.  

35 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

What are your thoughts on the Joshua tree shows? Do you think it will be the whole album and then a set of newer material. I can't envision U2 playing the Joshua tree from beginning to end since the 3 biggest hits are the first songs. I also wonder what the production value for a small tour run would be. 

U2 made it sound like the Joshua Tree shows were going to be a brief run, but they're probably going to debut the Songs of Experience songs, probably going to shoot the Joshua Tree for home video, they already did the deluxe box set and the "making of" but there's still a bunch of unreleased stuff. 

1 person likes this

I can't tell if I am super excited or a little let down. I thought SOI was a fantastic record. I enjoyed the I+E Tour, but it seemed to end very abruptly. They didn't even hit a lot of major markets. Then, the new album just fizzled out. It was supposed to be a back to back sort of thing (like SOI was supposed to be with NLOTH). A 3 year gap doesn't seem to exactly go along with that, its just a normal album cycle. Sounds like SOE and SOA might have been scrapped again for something else and a Joshua Tree tour would just be a nostalgia grab. I'd go, of course, but I wanted more new material from those last sessions

1 person likes this

50 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I can't tell if I am super excited or a little let down. I thought SOI was a fantastic record. I enjoyed the I+E Tour, but it seemed to end very abruptly. They didn't even hit a lot of major markets. Then, the new album just fizzled out. It was supposed to be a back to back sort of thing (like SOI was supposed to be with NLOTH). A 3 year gap doesn't seem to exactly go along with that, its just a normal album cycle. Sounds like SOE and SOA might have been scrapped again for something else and a Joshua Tree tour would just be a nostalgia grab. I'd go, of course, but I wanted more new material from those last sessions

To me it sounds like they're going to do a handful of special shows for Joshua Tree then release Songs of Experience sometime after and focus on that, which I'm fine with.

I didn't get to see the last tour unfortunately, so I do hope they keep that stage show for the most part, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it's something new either.

Hope this doesn't delay SOE coming out, have a feeling it will though.

No Michigan AGAIN. Id skip this for sure but Im dying to hear One Tree Hill live. Fucking hell, they always skip Michigan

Definitely doing one show. Going to possibly try for three (Philly, DC, East Rutherford). 

Basically this tour is a bonus. I have a feeling contractually with Live Nation they were obligated to tour this year or fit a certain amount of tours in a certain time frame. It's really convenient to have it be the 30th anniversary of Joshua Tree though so why not.  I have no doubt this summer tour will be used to promote Songs of Experience which will no doubt come out sometime in the fall at the conclusion of the tour. The Edge has confirmed they will play the Joshua Tree in it's entirety in running order but shows won't open with Where the Streets Have No Name, which is a good thing in my opinion IF they close the shows with the album. Personally on this tour I don't want anything post 1987. If they are marketing it as a Joshua Tree heavy show then I feel like they should play 2 sets. Set 1 is all old songs leading up to Joshua Tree and then set 2 is the album in full in running order.  This is what I'd like to see. Then when they tour again in 2018 to support Songs of Experience, because they've focused solely on this era they can ditch some of these songs and give us a handful of Pop and Zooropa songs as well as finally play Acrobat live for the first time ever.  Obviously there are some other songs I'd wanna hear from the pre Joshua Tree era but for the sake of the general fans this is the set list(pipe dream) I would go with if I was U2. Regardless I'll be attending the show in Vancouver ad Dublin. 

1. I Will Follow
2. Out of Control
3. Electric Co
4. Gloria
5. October
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
7. New Year's Day
8. Pride
9. Unforgettable Fire
10. Bad / 40

**** Break with some sort of video/music montage of Joshua Tree and the era****

11. Where the Streets Have No Name
12. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
13. With or Without You
14. Bullet the Blue Sky
15. Running to Stand Still
16. Red Hill Mining Town
17. In God's Country
18. Trip Through Your Wire
19. One Tree Hill
20. Exit
21. Mother's of the Disappeared

*** ENCORE (I don't want this as I think it's nice to close with the Joshua Tree album but if they had to...)***

Vertigo
Beautiful Day
New Song from SOE
One

1 person likes this

On 1/7/2017 at 0:27 PM, Black Sabbath said:

To me it sounds like they're going to do a handful of special shows for Joshua Tree then release Songs of Experience sometime after and focus on that, which I'm fine with.

I didn't get to see the last tour unfortunately, so I do hope they keep that stage show for the most part, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it's something new either.

This is most likely what the stage is gonna look like. This image is consistent with all the venues on Ticketmaster's site. 
15940707_10158127182325397_2355573646300

1 hour ago, Bono said:

This is most likely what the stage is gonna look like. This image is consistent with all the venues on Ticketmaster's site. 
15940707_10158127182325397_2355573646300

Yeah I saw that earlier. I was talking more in line of the tour they do for the next album, but either way, I'm excited.

@BonoDo you know if the subscriber code is good for only one show, or a pair of tickets? How does that work? Because I'm hoping to get GA to multiple shows.

17 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Yeah I saw that earlier. I was talking more in line of the tour they do for the next album, but either way, I'm excited.

@BonoDo you know if the subscriber code is good for only one show, or a pair of tickets? How does that work? Because I'm hoping to get GA to multiple shows.

I honestly have no idea. I think it's more a number of tickets. Hopefully it's good for at least 4 tickets so people can buy a pair to two shows. I think the code is good though for however many tickets you have. So for example if you're allowed 4 tickets I guess maybe you could use the code for four shows or any combination but honestly I don't know yet. 

1 person likes this

It would actually be really bad ass if they played the album in reverse. Doing it in reverse is a really kick ass running order. Fuck yeah. Just do what I said above but play Joshua Tree in reverse. 

11. Mothers of the Disappeared
10. Exit
09. One Tree Hill
08. Trip Through Your Wire
07. In God's Country
06. Red Hill Mining Town
05. Running to Stand Still
04. Bullet the Blue Sky
03. With or Without You
02. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
01. Where the Streets Have No Name

1 person likes this

First time U2 goes full nostalgia. And we're talking about a band from 1976. Surreal if you think about it.

This tour will have two polar opposites: it will most def kick ass with full Joshua Tree. it will be an anti-Trump filled show and there will be many annoying cringe moments.

1 person likes this

The Edge already said they delayed the album due to Trump. 

It's a shame. I love U2 but I just can't stand their agenda. Just saw some post from Bono recently where he was supporting something like 'Poverty is misogynist' or some crap like that. Thankfully their music is amazing enough for me to ignore their completely idiotic political views.

2 people like this