New U2 Album 'Songs of Experience' Out Dec. 1st // Tour Starting in May 2018

The Holographic Universe

5 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Or you're just an incredibly pompous band....no offense I know you love U2 :)

Aaaaaaaand if GnR had does this you'd think it was badass. No fooling anyone. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bono said:

Aaaaaaaand if GnR had does this you'd think it was badass. No fooling anyone. 

I know I'm just messing with you man :)

I honestly am not a U2 fan, but they do shit right, so I begrdudgingly respect them for that.

i actually think I'm gonna go check them out here in Indy later this year, looks like a great show!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's different that they are going to debut this song this today but September 6th will release the first single which is not this song. So basically giving us 2 new songs within 7 days. Awesome.  As for that Blackout clip I'll reserve judgement till I hear the whole thing but it sounds like it will suffer from being overly produced. 

**Note: U2 will be going live on their facebook page August 30th(today) at noon EST
https://www.facebook.com/u2/

Edited by Bono

I've listened to it 4 times now and it's fucking good. If 'You're The Best Thing About Me' is a ballad they will have made a major mistake having it as the lead single and not this. This song has such a great vibe and groove to it.  If done right it could be amazing live. 

5 minutes ago, Bono said:

I've listened to it 4 times now and it's fucking good. If 'You're The Best Thing About Me' is a ballad they will have made a major mistake having it as the lead single and not this. This song has such a great vibe and groove to it.  If done right it could be amazing live. 

I thought the same thing. Unless the next song is a rocker too, this should be what goes on the radio now.

I guess we'll see. I'm excited either way.

I haven't stopped listening to this. It's badass. Absolutely a rock and dance song mixed together. I can see them opening shows with this but would prefer them to, even though they never would, close the shows with it. Rearrange the ending a tiny bit so it's more of a sudden stop with Bono shouting "WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT!!!!" one last time and as he does so all the lights go out at once.  Would definitely end the shows on a high but U2 rarely ever end their shows with a fast song. 

I don't know that it's better than the best on SOI but it's definitely made the anticipation for this album much higher. This is easily the best "lead" singe they've put out since Vertigo and I'd dare say since Beautiful Day because I think I like it better than I liked Vertigo upon first hearing it. 

I don't know if in this day and age this is good or not but the facebook video has 400 000 views, 41 000 likes,  17 000 shares and 11 000 comments in 2 hours. Pretty sure they have a mini hit on their hands here. I didn't expect the song to be this good. Now add this to 'The Little Things That Give You Away' and they have 2 really great songs on the album already. If 'You're The Best Thing About Me'  is of the same quality they will have 3 really good songs already off the new album. 

1 minute ago, Black Sabbath said:

I'm mainly hoping that You're The Best Thing About Me isn't a ballad. If they come out and officially announce the first single as a ballad, that's just stupid on their part.

But, if this song still ends up on the radio, they've got some more relevance back on their hands.

I agree. That's my worry too. It would be insane to release this today on facebook and then next week release a ballad to radio as the lead single. 
I just threw on my headphones and holy shit this song sounds great. I wonder how much of this is studio and how much is actually live. The live vibe comes through so much more with headphones on. I'm interested to hear the straight album track. 

1 minute ago, Bono said:

I agree. That's my worry too. It would be insane to release this today on facebook and then next week release a ballad to radio as the lead single. 
I just threw on my headphones and holy shit this song sounds great. I wonder how much of this is studio and how much is actually live. The live vibe comes through so much more with headphones on. I'm interested to hear the straight album track. 

Yeah, took 5 listens before I realized the clapping and crowd stuff was still audible throughout the song. :lol: So good point.

But I hope they wouldn't be silly enough to release a ballad at the first single in a week, right after this. Unless they both plan on being on the radio, of course.

Either way, I wasn't expecting any of this right now. Figured they would finish the Joshua Tree 2017 tour before talking anything about new music. Hoping the new album will be out before the end of the year.

7 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Yeah, took 5 listens before I realized the clapping and crowd stuff was still audible throughout the song. :lol: So good point.

But I hope they wouldn't be silly enough to release a ballad at the first single in a week, right after this. Unless they both plan on being on the radio, of course.

Either way, I wasn't expecting any of this right now. Figured they would finish the Joshua Tree 2017 tour before talking anything about new music. Hoping the new album will be out before the end of the year.

I think that's the plan. I can't see them releasing two songs right now within a week and then not release the album before Christmas. That would be incredibly dumb.  I suppose if You're The Best Thing is a great ballad and they choose to have it and The Blackout on radio at the same time it would be kinda smart. They could run their course till November and then they could release the second(third) single and the album could come out first week in December. I guess the more I think about it if the next one is a great ballad having both a ballad and a rocker/dance song on the radio at the same time as co lead singles would be kinda smart. 

** And with The Blackout, dare I say the younger generation might be into this as well. That course is incredibly catchy, rocky and dancey. 

Edited by Bono

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

I got a ticket on StubHub for Buffalo on Tuesday - $19 for GA field. I think I'll manage to have a good time for that price. 

haha that's awesome. Why would someone sell it for that cheap? At least ask for face value. You're right though. $19 for GA at U2. That's a steal! 

2 hours ago, Bono said:

haha that's awesome. Why would someone sell it for that cheap? At least ask for face value. You're right though. $19 for GA at U2. That's a steal! 

Buffalo is a pretty abysmal market for concerts. The stadium holds 60,000 or so, and when GN'R played a couple weeks ago for example, they only pulled 30,000 in. But still, I was amazed to see them so low. I thought I'd be able to get a ticket for that price, but not GA. 

Im not really a U2 fan on any level, I just feel like they're one of those bucket lists bands. So it's a win win for me. 

Annoyed I didn't get tickets when I had the chance. I actually checked Tuesday night out of random interest and saw a pair was $60 (many pairs, at that). A single ticket was $30 after fees as well. Stupidly, I didn't buy any and even this morning when I checked they were $30 still. Then, a few hours later, they doubled in price. They're still about at face value after fees, but fuckin' dammit I should have just bought one or two at $30 each!

Ugh.

Had a great time at the show

Got nosebleeds for cheap, less than face! Sound was excellent until the encore and then it was muddy. Weird. Show is also WAY stripped bacl for U2, especially compared to 360 and I+E but it served The Joshua Tree well. The screen had nice graphics and was super HD.

Bono wasnt as "Bonoy" as the other 2 U2 gigs I have seen. He wasnt bad, but seemed less into the gig as normal to me. Less talking, and when he did he was kind of mumbling. Not much preaching, either. Maybe he was sick or just is like that because it isn't a new album tour idk. 

But they still sounded great and it was an excellent setlist for me. Finally got One Tree Hill and Ultraviolet and loved the other Joshua Tree deep cuts!

Edited by ZoSoRose

On 8/30/2017 at 11:49 AM, Bono said:

I haven't stopped listening to this. It's badass. Absolutely a rock and dance song mixed together. I can see them opening shows with this but would prefer them to, even though they never would, close the shows with it. Rearrange the ending a tiny bit so it's more of a sudden stop with Bono shouting "WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT!!!!" one last time and as he does so all the lights go out at once.  Would definitely end the shows on a high but U2 rarely ever end their shows with a fast song. 

I don't know that it's better than the best on SOI but it's definitely made the anticipation for this album much higher. This is easily the best "lead" singe they've put out since Vertigo and I'd dare say since Beautiful Day because I think I like it better than I liked Vertigo upon first hearing it. 

It's ducking a good song. This song and the little things that give you away have me excited for the album and tour. It's incredible that the band is still making great music at this age.

*sigh*

Exactly what I was worried about.  I'd say my prediction was spot on unfortunately. No idea what they were thinking by having this the lead single over The Blackout. It makes zero sense. On one hand you've got a fresh, up tempo rock, dance hybrid song that doesn't sound anything like what you'd expect U2 to sound like in 2016 and on the other hand you have this safe, almost uninspired, paint by numbers, meh adult contemporary type song. Is it a bad song? No. Is it a good song? Ummm.... no. It's just a song. It's absolutely B-side material compared to The Blackout and The Little Things, which would have also made a much better first single. I don't get them